Menu

CLE Language Arts 100 or Explode the Code?

Thanks ladies. He can read cvc words, blends, digraphs and long vowels words. I want him to get some reinforcement of phonics by writing, without starting formal spelling just yet. The only thing holding me back from CLE LA 100 is the overuse of the diacritical marks, which he's never learned to use...

I like ETC and it's independent. But I'm wondering if Spelling Power might work for your purposes. Or even spelling through sentence dictation. I've seen a nice vintage book online that might do the job. 

I'm echoing Ellie's thought about whether or not you need a comprehensive English program. 

• Like 1

We'll be using both CLE LA 1 and ETC next year.

Youngest DD needs a bit more work in the phonics area -- and CLE LA quickly reviews many different phonograms (not much practice).  But I do like the gentle intro to grammar, sentence mechanics, & handwriting practice that CLE LA includes.  So we'll do both.*

*My children are not ready (as readers) to do CLE's Reading program at this age/level (which I find is more heavy on the diacritical marks at this level than the LA).  We will combine ETC + CLE LA 1 + Read & Succeed: Comprehension next year for my rising 2nd grader.

CLE LA quickly reviews the phonograms that are covered in 2 or 3 ETC books, if that helps make a decision.  Not a lot of practice for each, but a solid fly by.  Definitely check the Scope & Sequence. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Never used CLE but DS has used ETC since the Ready Set Go books and is almost done with ETC3. Before we started I assumed ETC was phonics instruction but in practice it seems far more a handwriting and spelling practice than phonics. It is very repetitive and introduces something, like endings -ng, -tch, then he practices choosing the right word to match the picture, writing the word, and reading sentences and answering simple yes/no questions. Then after about 4 pages of that it will introduce a new topic like a difference suffix and repeats the same exact format. It's very simple and easy and DS can do it himself. He kind of has a love hate relationship with it. He finds the exercises boring and easy but loves reading the silly sentences, usually asking something really weird and random like can a ruler catch a fish or something and then he checks a yes or no box. He usually does 2-4 pages a day and if it ends with the next page being a sentence page will beg to do it. Since it goes slowly through different parts, like the various suffixes, I think it really reinforces spelling more than phonics. Be warned the pictures can be very simple and weird. There have been times I have no idea what what the answer is going to be but DS always gets its it and has no idea that I didn't know what was going on.

We like ETC but we use it alongside AAR. Not sure how it would work as a stand alone. But CLE seems like a lot of work and I think my 1st grader would burn out… We use CLE for Math and really like the user-friendly format but it is a lot of busy work so I cross out about half the problems every day. You may be able to do the same with their LA?

Edited to add: somebody posted recently about a BJU Phonics review workbook that looked great for a child that was reading well?

Edited by amyc78