Menu

Christian response please

JadeOrchidSong

Albeto,

Last time I checked, my title says "Christian response please". I do not mind you post in this thread, but please remain respectful to Christianity and I request that you change your "xians". It is offensive to say the least.

It's really not.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-x-in-xmas-doesnt-take-the-christ-out-of-christmas/

"Xtian" is not offensive. It's an abbreviation. Guys, chill just a bit.

Having said that: "Christian response please" means exactly that. It is not unreasonable, in a board of this size and with this many members, for the OP to request this and for other posters to respect it. Which hasn't happened here.

swb

Haven't read the other replies... but our pastor has been a karate instructor for decades. He goes to competitions and meets all over the country, is a black belt... blah blah. I think it's ridiculous but I know plenty of people that would swallow that hook, line, and sinker. The same people think Harry Potter is evil, and won't let their children have anything to do with Disney, since it promotes bestiality and other such nonsense.

• Like 2

Once again, we're reminded of the icky part of life called "the grey area". Black and white idealistic thinking is all fine and dandy in theory, but it NEVER works that way in real life. It just doesn't. Past the age of about 16, I expect that people should begin to realize that.

This is a very, very good point. Ideals are nice, but they are an ideal and since we live in an imperfect world, they do not always work. However, holding firm to beliefs in the face of severe opposition is not a bad thing. I think we are often presented with gray areas to help us learn, whether we choose to hold on to that ideal or to follow a different course.

Second, it has always baffled me when people talk about Jesus being a pacifist. From everything I have ever read, Jesus was not even close to being a pacifist. He sat down and braided himself a whip and then went through the temple driving people out with that whip and overturning tables. He told his disciples that if they didn't have a sword, they were to sell their coats and by themselves one. He taught kindness, compassion and patience. He taught standing firm on doing the right thing. He chose his battles, and taught others to do the same. THAT IS NOT THE ACTIONS OF A PACIFIST. 

• Like 3

This is a very, very good point. Ideals are nice, but they are an ideal and since we live in an imperfect world, they do not always work. However, holding firm to beliefs in the face of severe opposition is not a bad thing. I think we are often presented with gray areas to help us learn, whether we choose to hold on to that ideal or to follow a different course.

Second, it has always baffled me when people talk about Jesus being a pacifist. From everything I have ever read, Jesus was not even close to being a pacifist. He sat down and braided himself a whip and then went through the temple driving people out with that whip and overturning tables. He told his disciples that if they didn't have a sword, they were to sell their coats and by themselves one. He taught kindness, compassion and patience. He taught standing firm on doing the right thing. He chose his battles, and taught others to do the same. THAT IS NOT THE ACTIONS OF A PACIFIST. 

Exacty, as I stated up thread.  I can't see where people get that Jesus was a pacifist either.  Jesus = God and God is not a pacifist.

It's a complex discussion, but I too do not view Jesus as a "pacifist" in the way we use the word today.

Jesus was not crucified because he was so meek and mild, but because he was viewed as a serious threat by the Romans and by the Jewish leadership.  He was NOT meek.  He chose his battles.