Menu

FUFI users could I use this with a

mama25angels

Well, you could. But you will need to leave off parts. For instance:

The vocab puzzles are fairly advanced with words like impeccable, waterbutt, rheumatics, etc. They are not all that hard, but a good amt are. This would be over most 8yo's heads. 

Some suggested readings are like 1894 and Shakespeare. YOu can use the children's version of S and be fine there, but Prelandrial may be a bit much. Some readings will be fine for a 2nd grader like Androcles and the Lion and Village Blacksmith.

Most science topics and be surface level or dug into, so you should be good there for the most part. Same for history.

Writing like writing out dialogue from the book in script from using Hamlet as a model may be too hard but drawing a scene may work well depending on your youngest's talents or likes. 

Scripture knows no age range, so that part will be fine for sure.

There are not a lot of hands on past the drawings. Just a few and they are not overly complicated. 

Susie thank you, I was hoping that you or SilverMoon would see this post. Do you think I should add additional history for the 7th grader? Our rotation would be American history, I was thinking of just doing world geography with a few books added in for that and mostly map drills/drawing.

The history would need seriously fleshed out for a 7th grader, or else just do the most relevant parts and run a separate history or geography course.

The science would be fine for the 2nd, but also need seriously fleshed out for a 7th.

Read the stories together, let the little one make a wardrobe out of a refrigerator box, while the big one does all the extra reading and analysis work. The little one could make a Narnian animals field guide for LWW, or a ships log for for the sailing one.

You could consider this just a lit course for the 7th and skip the more involved science/history assignments. Or flesh it out with lots of related books for him to do for his own science and history.

The little one would be fine just doing the unit-y science and history for a year.

I spent the summer before hand reading through FUFI, making notes in the margins, crossing of parts, and such. I'd highly recommend doing this with each of yours in mind.

I'm not home at the moment, and the list of what we did is in my computer.

• Like 1

I loosely did it with a 3rd and 6th grade. I changed things a lot. ;) I am going to do something similar with my 4th grader in the fall.

I would skip US history and do British history and WWII. With the 2nd grader, I would probably add in a study of trains,ships, animals (major characters), etc.

• Like 1

JMO: the sweet spot for this program is gr. 4-5, or gr. 4-6. 

It was too light for us when we tried to use it for 7th grade and we had to drop it. I think a 3rd grader, esp. a younger sibling who is used to "stretching up" to work with older siblings, would be fine. I think a 2nd grader would enjoy the stories and maybe a few of the crafts, but a lot of the Bible study discussion would likely go over the 2nd grader's head.

Unfortunately I think 2nd and 7th grades are outside the really usable limits of the program and you'll have to do a lot of adapting in both directions to make this work. But, depending on your particular students, and if you don't mind using just the bare bones of the program and spending the summer fleshing out the program with additions or alternatives to fit your students, it could work. Another idea: instead of spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to make so many changes to it, use the program informally -- just use the bits of it that work for your family and do it as your "together time" project for next year. :)

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

I had to scratch my brain for when we did FUFI. I think mine were 4th and (precocious) 2nd. The older kids were junior high and/or freshman. The older kids jumped into plenty of the Narnia fun when they could, and read parts of Keys to the Chronicles too. (The author escapes me. I'm sure it's in old FUFI threads.)

• Like 1

I loosely did it with a 3rd and 6th grade. I changed things a lot. ;) I am going to do something similar with my 4th grader in the fall.

I would skip US history and do British history and WWII. With the 2nd grader, I would probably add in a study of trains,ships, animals (major characters), etc.

Thank you, do you recommend OIS for British history or something else?

JMO: the sweet spot for this program is gr. 4-5, or gr. 4-6. 

It was too light for us when we tried to use it for 7th grade and we had to drop it. I think a 3rd grader, esp. a younger sibling who is used to "stretching up" to work with older siblings, would be fine. I think a 2nd grader would enjoy the stories and maybe a few of the crafts, but a lot of the Bible study discussion would likely go over the 2nd grader's head.

Unfortunately I think 2nd and 7th grades are outside the really usable limits of the program and you'll have to do a lot of adapting in both directions to make this work. But, depending on your particular students, and if you don't mind using just the bare bones of the program and spending the summer fleshing out the program with additions or alternatives to fit your students, it could work. Another idea: instead of spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to make so many changes to it, use the program informally -- just use the bits of it that work for your family and do it as your "together time" project for next year. :)

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you Lori, I will definitely keep in mind using it for our together time if tweaking becomes to much.  I've been perusing the guide and i'm really loving the Bible portion and i'd really love for my 7th grader to at least get that if he gets nothing else.

• Like 1

The history would need seriously fleshed out for a 7th grader, or else just do the most relevant parts and run a separate history or geography course.

The science would be fine for the 2nd, but also need seriously fleshed out for a 7th.

Read the stories together, let the little one make a wardrobe out of a refrigerator box, while the big one does all the extra reading and analysis work. The little one could make a Narnian animals field guide for LWW, or a ships log for for the sailing one.

You could consider this just a lit course for the 7th and skip the more involved science/history assignments. Or flesh it out with lots of related books for him to do for his own science and history.

The little one would be fine just doing the unit-y science and history for a year.

I spent the summer before hand reading through FUFI, making notes in the margins, crossing of parts, and such. I'd highly recommend doing this with each of yours in mind.

I'm not home at the moment, and the list of what we did is in my computer.

Thank you!!!!

I always thought OIS would be a great history additon, and Burgess Animal Book good to add for science. There is other science in there besides the animals (like caves, vacuums, etc) but it is light.

I love that idea of a wardrobe made from  a fridge box! That is a wonderful idea for anyone with the space.  

I always thought OIS would be a great history additon, and Burgess Animal Book good to add for science. There is other science in there besides the animals (like caves, vacuums, etc) but it is light.

I love that idea of a wardrobe made from  a fridge box! That is a wonderful idea for anyone with the space.  

Thank you, I have both of these books and will add them to the list.

• Like 1

I think you could make it work. I used it with my ds12 when he was in 4th grade. We still consider it our best year ever. It is easy to flesh out for your 7th grader by diving deeper into topics. You could easily find resources to also bring it to your 2nd grader's level. It is an excellent study.  

• Like 1

Actually mine were 5th and 3rd. Shows what I know. (I just work here, yo.) Here's a blog post I made while working on FUFI plans the summer before we used it. I know we didn't do everything on that list, but we also added some on the fly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your blog post!!  The more I read it (i'm reading and taking notes), the more excited I get about using this.  I plan to borrow as much as possible if you don't mind.

I think you could make it work. I used it with my ds12 when he was in 4th grade. We still consider it our best year ever. It is easy to flesh out for your 7th grader by diving deeper into topics. You could easily find resources to also bring it to your 2nd grader's level. It is an excellent study.  

Thank you!  I've been going back through the FUFI posts and your enthusiasm for it is part of made me want to try it!

I am planning to use it this coming year with my 5th and 2nd grader. My 2nd grader is also 8. I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. We are aiming primarily for the lit, Bible and some fun projects. The science, history etc. is gravy.

• Like 1

I am planning to use it this coming year with my 5th and 2nd grader. My 2nd grader is also 8. I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. We are aiming primarily for the lit, Bible and some fun projects. The science, history etc. is gravy.

I'm thinking Bible, lit. and a few fun projects should be my primary aim also, since those are the parts I love about the program anyway.  We'll probably read through OIS and do something else for Science along with anything we're interested in in the program and just be ok with that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your blog post!!  The more I read it (i'm reading and taking notes), the more excited I get about using this.  I plan to borrow as much as possible if you don't mind.

Glad it was useful! :)

I'm going to use FUFI this year with my 5th grader. Haven't bought it yet. I didn't know there were writing assignments. Does anyone have examples of the writing assignments? I need to get him a writing curric, but if there are lots of writing assignments and they're good, then maybe I won't have to.

There is no real writing instruction except there is a Limerick worksheet. But most are like the one I quoted in post #3 and here are a couple more:

Write about a dream you have had in which you tried to wake up and couldn't.

There are also list  of events, or adjectives, etc.

Write what you know about Aslan's character.

Write a paragraph or poem about freedom.

I'm going to use FUFI this year with my 5th grader. Haven't bought it yet. I didn't know there were writing assignments. Does anyone have examples of the writing assignments? I need to get him a writing curric, but if there are lots of writing assignments and they're good, then maybe I won't have to.

Here's one:  Write a paragraph praising the works and wonders of God that mean the most to you.

Pick one of these horses and write a one-page story about his exploits with his owner.  Tell the story from the point of view of the horse.

I think we could do a few of them, but a lot of them are just write down your vocabulary words.  HTH

Look at the English portion in the Topics Covered sample on this page.

There is no real writing instruction except there is a Limerick worksheet. But most are like the one I quoted in post #3 and here are a couple more:

Write about a dream you have had in which you tried to wake up and couldn't.

There are also list  of events, or adjectives, etc.

Write what you know about Aslan's character.

Write a paragraph or poem about freedom.

I knew you guys would get it before me

PS. this is my first time using multiquot, i'm so happy

• Like 2