Menu

What is "I can't think of the names of letters or simple objects I know"called ?

I need your help. Ready to do a little research for my DD 16. She finished VT today and told me that she has to point to objects because when asked what she sees she can't come up with the name of the object. For example she sees the letter B , she can't say the letter B when asked what the VT is pointing to. Is it word recall? Processing speed? Expressive something? Sometimes she can define a word and tell me the first sound it makes . We are talking really simple words and everyday objects here. I do this a bit, but not to the same extent. What is this called?

We are waiting for VT to be completed before looking into NT evals. Any help is appreciated.

Very interesting. I did even see a few links of verbal aphasia linked to fatigue and even fibromyalgia and nonrestorative sleep. Come to think of it, i noticed it mostly when having young babies in myself. My daughter is incredibly fatigued most of the time. Thanks for helping:)

• Like 1

If you actually need to DO something about it, this is the book you want.  It's on the Tip of My Tongue: Word-Finding Strategies to Remember Names and Words You Often Forget

And yes, it's word retrieval.  The book goes into all the types and then goes into how to approach them for life, academics, etc.  Tiny but POWERFUL book, well worth the money if it's actually an issue she needs help with.  I really, really hate it when books cost money but don't deliver.  This book delivers.

• Like 1

She has had this problem for a long time. When my kids were young, I decided I wouldn't be their therapist, I'd be their Mommy. So i sort of just turned off that observational/ analytical part of me so I wouldn't constantly know what "needed to be worked on" if you know what I mean. The downside of this is that some of my kids really do need some intervention or stategies, but I am so used to them, that I don't see it until presented in a different way.

She is currently in VT, and she mentioned yesterday that she has to point to the objects because she can't think of the names. Because she knew the VT had to adapt for her, the lightbulb lit up..maybe we should figure this one out.

I'm off to check out that thread. Just have to say I love this board. Where else can you go to get such great suggestions? Thank you!!!!!!

• Like 1

That sounds like one of the symptoms of dyslexia as described in the book Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz that I just read. I am not an expert though and I know symptoms of different things often overlap.  

• Like 1

FWIW, DD struggles with retrieving labels for things. She can remember the concept or item, or whatever just fine. The label may escape her. I assumed its word retrieval issues. DS does not have this issue. They are both dyslexic so maybe it is something not directly tied to dyslexia but is possibly comorbid in some since this seems to occur in dyslexics rather often? I wonder how many non-dyslexic people have word retrieval issues...

• Like 1

It is pretty interesting. I think there might be a genetic component in our case as well as in a few friends' cases. For us there tends to be a fatigue component, and vT is pretty fatiguing. Sleep doesn't come easy to either of us either . I'm not dyslexic, but when overly fatigued can't translate thought into words , and put the words in the correct order in a sentence. It seems most people can speak and be understood when tired. Sigh.

On th other hand, she does have lots of dyslexic characteristics so it could be something in that arena for sure. I have seen this in engineers and people who tend to be more comfortable working kinesthetically. But maybe the retrival difficulties came first. They tend to be a bit quiet with unfamiliar people.

• Like 1

Ds is dyslexic and has lexical issues affecting his retrieval.  Dd is ADHD, no dyslexia, and I think her word retrieval issues go back to midline issues.  

The book will help you sort it out.  It goes into different types (patterns, categories) of errors and then how to approach them.  

• Like 1