Menu

Dream Box or other math computer games?

EKT

Does anyone use DreamBox or another math facts computer game? I've been looking into it, and it seems like it might be a fun way for my daughters to strengthen their math facts (we really want to get them down cold), but at the same time, I'm very hesitant to use any kind of computer-based materials for school. (At the moment, my kids don't use any sort of computers or iPads or anything and I'm scared I'll be opening a Pandora's box by introducing them, lol.) But math is a bit of a struggle, especially for my older daughter, and I was thinking that something like this might reinvigorate her love for math.

Has anybody used computer games for math? Did you get good results? Thanks in advance for any feedback/recommendations!

An alternative to digital games might be books, songs and videos--there a bunch of them on YouTube and you can take out videos from the library also.

There are simple, printable board games and card games. Multiplication.com teaches the multiplication table using mnemonics and there are books that you can use like  2 plus 2 is not 5, and 5 times 5 is not 10.

I have done the trial of DreamBox and don't remember seeing anything where you could drill math facts. It was more of a supplementary curriculum it taught operations and stuff. I only had the trial and didn't explore as fully as I could have, but from what I remember, dream box didn't offer targeted math fact support.

We use DreamBox. It isn't a math facts program, per say. It covers all aspects of arithmetic, and uses incremental activities to develop different strategies for doing arithmetic. There is, of course, application of math facts, and some degree of learning the facts, but it there isn't a big focus on quick recall of math facts. If you are after math facts I wouldn't pay the subscripton price for DreamBox to get it. Try Xtramath (free?).

However, if you want a nice supplement to your current math curriculum in order to get a little bit of extra practice (and even introduce new strategies, depending on the curriculum you use), and have it be both fun and didactic then DreamBox is great!

Last $.02 - my kids learn their math facts through using them in other problems, rather than just working on the immediate memory recall. For me it is like learning some words - first you learn how to sound them out, but then you recognize them quickly enough you don't sound them out anymore. But you didn't just memorize them like non-decodable sight words. DreamBox helps with this, and the non-memorizing approach has kept love of math in our learning.

My three oldest use Reflex Math, through subscriptions I bought at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.  They all love it, and are awarded with their Reflex Math time for completing regular lessons (we don't have regular video or computer games, so they find it all very exciting).  The two oldest are now fluent in subtraction and addition, and are working on multiplication and division facts.  The 5-year-old begged to try it (I thought she might be too young), and is now about half fluent in addition and subtraction.  It has carried on in their regular math work and makes calculations quick and painless, as we can focus more on problem-solving and advanced concepts without having anyone counting on fingers or taking forever to complete a workbook page.

• Like 1