Menu

Headphones to help ADHD kiddos focus?

diaperjoys

I'm curious about trying some type of headphone for my easily distracted kiddos. We have two (out of our crew of five) that have focus difficulties, yet there are times when they must be working in the same room. Any suggestions for headphones to try/avoid?  Other ideas?

Thanks!

My oldest daughter uses noise-cancelling headphones when she has to work at the table with her sister.  It does help her focus -- or, at least, it helps her from getting so angry at her sister (for making normal working noises).  Ours aren't anything special -- just headphones DH had bought to use at the shooting range.  

You have to be careful with introducing things for ADHD kids because anything new can become a fidgit or a huge distraction depending on what senses are most distracting to them. I have one who prefers her headphones with musicc, but she occasionally sings out loudly, completely unaware that she's disturbing the rest. Another who gets completely focused on the music and stops working, but earphones just for blocking noise are enough of a touch/pressure stimulus that he plays with them. A third is always plYing with/adjusting headphones... When they have worked best for us is when they are used to keep an individual's noises to themselves when using the tablet to watch videos or use educational apps. I have found white noise somewhat helpful (until kids argue over which white noise sounds to play). Working with multiple ADHD kids is an adventure - best wishes!

• Like 1

My 17 year old used a pair of noise cancelling headphones for years. Now that she's older, she listens to music while she does her schoolwork. I could never, ever do that because I'd find it really distracting, but it helps her shut off the "talky-talky" part of her brain so she can focus on the material.

• Like 1

Hmm...interesting. DD walks around all day attached to her Kindle listening to audiobooks while she does other things. I wonder whether music during math would help. Anyone have recommendations for music (or nature sounds) for an 8-year-old girl? Frozen and other Disney songs wouldn't cut it.

We have the same singing/humming problem here.  But, it's always worth a try. ;)  Some wiggly kids do well with an exercise ball instead of a chair.  You may need to do some pre-teaching about how to use it as a tool and not a toy, but it's really helpful for some. 

• Like 1

My ADHD kid wants the house SILENT. Like, no air conditioning on, no washer going across the house, no cat meowing, no person quietly typing in the other room, no click of a pen, no breathing.. It can be hard to manage. He takes some supplements and they seem to help him. He takes GABA, Vitamin B complex and Omega 3 fish oils. He seems more easily distractable without these but they don't relieve all the issues.

We have both the corded and wireless Bluetooth headsets. My oldest fidgit and killed many cords of headsets. The Bluetooth ones survive much better, no cord to break.

For music, classical music works best in our house. However I do not understand how my boys can sing opera Beethoven Wig's style and do their math and science correctly, but I don't mind. At one time they sang Carmen, then they sang Rigoletto. They just memorize the lyrics whatever the language.

My oldest main problem with headset is that it gets too hot for his ears. So we mainly use background music instead to "cancel" noise.

Both my boys are noise avoiding but it is sensory issues for them. My youngest is distracted by squirrels rather than noise. Noise is an irritant to him which makes him complain about the garbage truck or the cleaning staff vacuuming the corridors.

• Like 1

Oh, ugh. The clock ticking is fine here, but if the neighbor is cutting grass, weed-eating, etc., I just want to scream. DD can't concentrate at all. Or, the UPS truck, or crunching gravel, or a dog running through the yard, or a hummingbird drinking nectar from a flower, or a bug on the window screen, or thunder, or me doing anything in the same room...  :banghead:

Both my boys are noise avoiding but it is sensory issues for them. My youngest is distracted by squirrels rather than noise. Noise is an irritant to him which makes him complain about the garbage truck or the cleaning staff vacuuming the corridors.

My oldest, for whom sounds are distractions, we have better luck with white noise. For noise-canceling noise (white noise) for her we use an app called Relax Melodies. it allows you to make your own combo of white noises (and music, if you choose). It helps her get to sleep at night by blocking sounds, and it helps her get her work done by blocking out her siblings, the birds outside, and the house ring built next door. She's predominantly inattentive type (almost hypOactive), and so we need every help we can get to keep her on focus.

Number 3 is strongly auditory input seeking, and talks, hums, chats, etc continually to fill that need. She does better with vocal music, but we try to keep the energy level down so she gets things like Peter, Paul, and Mary or Enya. I'm going to have to try those Bluetooth headphones - thanks for the idea!!

For the dancing musician boy, who is highly auditory and exceptionally musical, finding something to listen to that doesn't take away his interest is hard. Some classical works (Vivaldi and Bach, so I guess that's Baroque) and some new age like Zeitler. After he's done some good school work he might get to listen to a little electronica or dance music for a little break, or play his keyboard.

Best wishes finding a solution for your kids!