Menu

Should I just do Sonlight Core E?

bethben

I am noticing that my younger two are really needing a love of books.  I want them to enjoy reading books that don't include comic books.  I have done Tapestry of Grace and Heart of Dakota with both and now am looking for a literature rich curriculum.  History through stories mostly.  Tapestry of Grace has great books, but not enough literature.  Same with Heart of Dakota.  Should I just break down and get Sonlight?  I would combine my 8 and 11 year old in the read alouds and have my 11 year old do the history reading and readers himself.  

Beth

Core D is really good, and my dc enjoyed the books better than Core E. I'd also recommend core D for an 8 or 9 year old over core E. 

I wouldn't give up all the history books for an 11 year old to do on his own. There is definitely some material in the Landmard book I'd want to go over together with my young dc.

I would agree with the others. You can just look at the booklists and pick and choose what you want to use, you don't have to do the whole curriculum.

I would not do Core D with an 8yr old. Currently I am doing Core D with 10yr old, Core B with 8yr old and P4/5 with 6yr old. The reason I don't have them doing higher cores, is because I don't want to put them into Core D before they are 10yrs old.

Both cores D and E are great. E is the 2nd half of American history - so if you want to start at the beginning I'd start with D. ... or you can do the one year D+E version if you want. Any are good options.

I think your ages are fine for D or E. I've used them with 8/9 year olds as well as older and tag along younger kids. I'll be starting core D next year for the 3rd time with my 8 year old. I've always read the read-alouds and history to my kids. Take a look at the history - you might decide to hand off some of the history to your oldest or you might decide that they are great books to snuggle on the couch and do all together. Landmark is one that I would definitely read-aloud.

My dd (10) and I really enjoyed the first half of Core E this past fall. Then things changed. I started dropping books because they were not appropriate or were too graphic (the flood book comes to mind). (Also, she had already read a few of the books before I purchased the core. She loves to reread books, but it does change the value of the IG for those weeks.) I didn't care for some parts of the encyclopedia. We really loved the new Landmark books. Finally we dropped the core. I have often thought in the past that I wanted to do the Eastern Hemisphere core some day, but Core E finally convinced me that Core F (and other cores) would not be a good fit for us.

We also really enjoyed the spine books from Notgrass' America the Beautiful.

Hope you have a great year with whatever you choose!

My kids really enjoy Sonlight books. My oldest is always reading Sonlight books over again from YEARS ago. If you do Core E this year, I will be right along with you. I have a 12 and 10 year old who will be doing Core E since it's the exact period of time I want to cover and I already have the books. I will only use their History, read alouds, and readers, though. Might not use the LA (which I think comes with the Core IG now, if I remember right?). Anyhoo, if you want history through stories and you want your kids to catch a love for books, Sonlight is the way to go, IMO. However, sometimes it can almost be tooo much reading if you're not used to it. Might want to consider the 4 day schedule. You'll still get all the great books, but the optional ones will be left out (plus it will be cheaper).

I plan on making sure the history and readers get read by my son.  The read alouds I will try to do on schedule, but if it gets to be too long, I will just adjust.  I did get Core E.  I did Sonlight years ago when my 14 year old was turning 6.  It was a good year, but I realized very quickly with him, that he was a wiggly kid and couldn't sit for longer readings.  Also, I didn't want to do two cores and my next child was 4 years later.  So, I get to do this with my two youngest who are 2 1/2 years apart.