Menu

phonics/reading program...suggestions please!

shmily

Is there a program that is somewhere in the middle between All About Reading and The Writing Road to Reading?  Not too much busy work, but enough to solidify the lesson and give her something to do.  She knows most of her letter sounds, but we haven't gone much farther than that...she's only 4 right now but wants to learn to read.  

Open to suggestions...

thanks

Have you started it yet? I'm considering a switch because SWR intimidates me.

I just did the samples (Levels 1 & 2) and have read as much as I can get my hands on from Kathy Joe Devore.  My full books will be here tomorrow.  I downloaded the phonics/writing book which goes along with Level 1 and I love the simplicity, yet thoroughness of it.  I also have been doing ELTL (Level 1), which my son and I love.

KNOW Spalding's and Sanseri's methods.  I think Sanseri improved on what Spalding did in a lot of ways, but made it too much in other ways.  Kathy Joe DeVore hit the nail on the head in my book.  No bells and whistles, but very well done.  Laid out better than SWR.  Better explanations and plan than WRTR.  SWR and WRTR are both very good programs.  This is just my take on what I have experienced.

Pam

• Like 1

I just did the samples (Levels 1 & 2) and have read as much as I can get my hands on from Kathy Joe Devore. My full books will be here tomorrow. I downloaded the phonics/writing book which goes along with Level 1 and I love the simplicity, yet thoroughness of it. I also have been doing ELTL (Level 1), which my son and I love.

I KNOW Spalding's and Sanseri's methods. I think Sanseri improved on what Spalding did in a lot of ways, but made it too much in other ways. Kathy Joe DeVore hit the nail on the head in my book. No bells and whistles, but very well done. Laid out better than SWR. Better explanations and plan than WRTR. SWR and WRTR are both very good programs. These are just my take on what I have experienced.

Pam

THANK YOU!

I second Logic of English Foundations. Its between those two, has the feel of Writing Road to Reading, but is fun and perfect for little kids, it also has a couple of moving activities, and moving=remembering :) Only reason I didn't end up using mine was the thing that gets me on most Phonics programs - pronounciation and letter sounds (i.e. a has 3 sounds in american english, 5 in australian english, and goodness know how many in my mixed up accent, my accent isn't stable, so it stuffs up phonics programs for my kids lol, I have to outsource.)

My son took off after using Reading Eggs.  He wasn't interested in me "teaching" him out to read he wanted to do it on his own.  He was 3 at the time.  So between reading eggs and Bob books he figured out blending and now is working on special sounds.  When fall comes and he is 4 1/2 we will sit down and do some formal learning but for now these two have worked amazingly!

Is there a program that is somewhere in the middle between All About Reading and The Writing Road to Reading?  Not too much busy work, but enough to solidify the lesson and give her something to do.  She knows most of her letter sounds, but we haven't gone much farther than that...she's only 4 right now but wants to learn to read.  

Open to suggestions...

thanks

For children that young, many people have liked Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, because there is not lots of writing.

Many people here like Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (OPGTR).

FTR, Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. :-) 

thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I think I'd like to take a look at Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and Happy Phonics.  Maybe they could go together somehow?

Sooo...anyone have copies they'd like to sell?  :001_cool: