Menu

GERD, GAPS, Feingold - which diet for gut healing?

Seasider

The last year has been exceptionally stressful, and it's showing in my physical state. Demands on me and my time have finally eased up to allow me to focus on self care: back to regular exercise and sleep schedules, getting enough rest and cleaning up my diet.

This time has arrived on the cusp of my gastric breaking point. My doctor, who I love and trust, is ready to scope me from one end to the other, and maybe scan another thing or two. There are some things that really do need to be investigated, but I have petitioned for 6 weeks of disciplined self care to see what diet, sleep and exercise can mitigate before deciding on procedures.

So, I am currently supposed to be eating like a person with an ulcer, though they are not really sure that fits all my symptoms. In the past I have looked at each of the plans mentioned in the thread title, but would love to hear directly from wise hivers about your experience with each.

Just a good recommendation for a morning cup of coffee substitute would be worth starting this thread. I'm supposed to go coffee, no black tea, no caffeine. It's hard!

I think there is a coffee substitute that is based on dandelion tea. Supposed to be good. Dandy Tea I think it is. There are diy recipes online as well.

Our family has done GAPS and hoping to get closer back to it this summer. It's hard but effective and I could feel the difference in my gut as well as blood sugar. My kids were positively transformed by it especially in their nutrient absorption, and it was very effective for the diagnosis we were hoping it would impact (epilepsy dx). It is a lot of kitchen work, though. Best wishes on your healing journey!

• Like 1

I'm no expert on this.  I have GERD.  I think I could probably help the symptoms by dropping a few pounds.  Is that a factor for you? 

Are you taking anything for it?  Does it help? 

I am very skeptical about some of the recommendations for eliminating/controlling the GERD.  It started when I was pregnant.  I was told to stop drinking stuff like coffee and soda because they claimed that would make it worse.  I did that, but it was as bad if I just simply drank water.  So..I don't buy it. 

• Like 1

I went on the silent reflux diet - two weeks of no acids, almost no fats, no fizzy drinks, little caffeine, no alcohol.  Then I gradually added things back in.  I'm fixed!  I now eat pretty much what I want, but I tend to be on the lower fat, lower meat end of things.

My previous symptoms were fairly mild: essentially 'globus' - a feeling that I had something in my throat that I needed to swallow, caused by silent reflux causing swelling.

Husband went on the same diet without the same results - his symptoms were much more severe.  He's on various pills.

• Like 1

Although never diagnosed officially with GERD, I'd say I've had symptoms that fit, and my Dr. did prescribe Prilosec.

TMI ALERT:

But Prilosec made me bleed rectally.

About 6-7 weeks ago, I started 21 Day Fix, just the diet part (my own measuring cups). GERD has been gone for 5 weeks now. I ate more yogurt, less carbs than usual, stopped coffee and soda (well, sometimes I'll have a soda, but no caffeine and that's only been in the last 2 weeks or so--less than 1 soda a day, diet). I also stopped all sweetners, except there's a little in the yogurt I eat.

It's amazing.

IDK if it'll work for you at all--just the stopping the caffeine, the soda, and lessening carbs is what I mean, not necessarily 22DF.

• Like 1

I take Prevacid which works much better for me than Prilosec.  I tried Nexium.  That was a disaster.  I had some very negative side affects.

I don't even eat all that many foods in the supposed no no category.  I have about one cup of coffee in the morning.  I almost never drink soda.  I eat low carb. 

I'm not willing to eat fat free everything.  I'd rather have GERD.  LOL

I have thought about having the scope done, but then I wonder what exactly will they do with that information.  Prescribe Prevacid?  That's what I'd want to know.  What will they do? 

I do have a possible aggravating factor that might be part of the problem for me.  As I said it started when I was pregnant with my first.  It went completely away after the pregnancy.  Then it came back with my second.  It did not go away.  But my uterus did not shrink back down.  It's possible it's pushing up on everything like when I was pregnant.  So I don't know if that is the problem or what, but what could they even do about that? 

I know I'm not offering useful advice here.  Just commiserating. 

• Like 1

My two cents (and trust me, it isn't even worth that much):  I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all diet to automatically apply in all similar situations.

Has your doc at least run the blood tests for celiac first?  Would scoping be for the purpose of diagnosing celiac?  I don't think diet changes are allowed before such test?

Without more information, my instinct would be to start with GFCF.  Or to start with grain-free.  (I have a young relative with ulcers who is seeing relief with this in spite of negative celiac panel and scopes, for example)

One of my kids is on a gut-healing plan that involves (1) temporarily avoiding the foods that showed up on the controversial IgG panel, (2) various supplements that may reduce gut inflammation, such as a quercetin/nettles combo, L-glutamine, probiotics, et al.  I ended up taking another route involving supplements of a more herbal variety that may also reduce intestinal inflammation.

I might have doubts about whether 6 weeks is enough time.

Eta, I couldn't even think about going coffee-free, even though I was for years with many pregnancies.  Coffee is life LOL

• Like 1

GAPS is specifically for gut healing and there is a lot of emphasis on true nutritional type healing of the whole gastric system.  I am having good success with it with DD.  If you are considering it, I would recommend reading the book on it from Natasha McBride to get the background info and reasons for the GAPS approach to see if it's right for you.