Menu

3rd Grade - Cursive or Keyboarding or Both?

Trying to pin down some stragglers for next year. We're a little behind where I would like to be at this point. I would have liked to have started cursive with DD this past school year and then moved onto keyboarding for third grade, but that didn't pan out. DD doesn't love the act of writing (she's also on the young end of her grade) and struggles with spelling and a few reversals (I know cursive should help the reversals), so I set it aside.

Which should take priority at this point...cursive or keyboarding...or should I attempt to do both? I feel like I'm not doing a very good job in the computer/technology department. Is there a curriculum for that beyond keyboarding?  :blush:

:iagree:

My DS wasn't ready for cursive until last summer (just completed second grade).  So, we started it over the summer and then transitioned to some cursive copy work late fall of his third grade year.  It worked out beautifully.

And, now that DS is nine, we're just at the point of beginning to need some typing... Meaning, the things he'd like to do are motivating a desire to type.  

• Like 1

We did cursive first by several years. Keyboarding/typing can wait until they are fluent cursive writers. 

Keyboarding is useful but cursive shapes your brain in ways researchers don't even really understand. Much deeper learning. and useful too. My kids need to read my mom's handwriting!

Also, my kids don't need to write anything long enough or formal enough to need to be typed until middle grades. i want them to be good enough at keyboarding in time to take some online courses in 7th grade or so.

• Like 1