Menu

Beef up SOTW for 8th grader?

mindygz

We have been doing SOTW 1 this year (second time for my oldest two, though #2 was just little when we started) and I've had my 7th grader read quite a bit from the Oxford Press World in Ancient Times series to expand her history. Honestly, a rigorous history curriculum is not a HUGE priority for me. I think it is best to have it be enjoyable and learned as a story of humanity to learn lessons from and understand our current world. So I don't do anything in the way of testing or require much writing about it. I like to pull in other resources as I find them (Crash Course videos and the like). I like the idea of just continuing through SOTW 2 for next year, but I would like to make it more enriching/educational for my oldest. Are there books or curricula out there that would complement SOTW well? I don't want to just exclude her from our lessons and have her do her own thing because I am pretty sure she won't like that as well. 

Thanks!

My 8th grader did fine with SWBs History of the Medieval World this year while the younger kids all read SOTW Vol. 2.  I know you said she wouldn't enjoy doing her own thing, but maybe it would work if your family was all studying the same time period?  Or you could have her read SOTW 2 with the family but add in chapters from HMW in addition.

• Like 1

I don't know if you would like a Christion book, but Mystery of History might work for you.  There are schedules online that match it up with SOTW.  

Another idea that I use is to pick selections from Ambleside Online.  Their Year 2 covers the middle ages.  The stories are longer than SOTW.  AO Year 7 also covers middle ages if you wanted harder material.

• Like 1

Get a copy of All Through the Ages as it has reading lists for both fiction and non-fiction historically, by region and by grade level. http://www.nothingnewpress.com/books/all-through-the-ages-2/

:iagree: I have this book and it is a wonderful resource.  Also take a look at Beautiful Feet Books' Medieval Literature Study for middle school grades.

I'm doing the same thing with my 8th grader in fall only we're on SOTW 4 now. I also like keeping history light and interesting. He has a natural love for history so he reads all my other history textbooks on the side for fun, so that helps. But what I do is have him do outlining and rewriting from a more age-appropriate text (usually the Rod & Staff 9 book; he just finds a section that corresponds to what we're reading). That way history is still enjoyable but he also gets more info from his writing assignments.

• Like 1

Mystery of History and Story of the World work well together.  SOW was made for 1-4th grade and MOH was made for upper elementary through junior high grades.  All through the Ages is good BUT is only a reading list with some timelines listed.  MOH is a history curriculum that will keep a child's interest.  Not just reading lists.