Menu

Got a good gazpacho recipe? Also summer potluck ideas

umsami

I used to make a really good gazpacho right after I graduated from college.  I think it was one of Jane Brody's recipes, but I really don't remember.  If you have a good recipe, please share.   I need to find one before I rewatch "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown." :)

Also, Ramadan is coming in mid-June, which means every night is basically a potluck.  I need some good ideas.  Can be any course, but cannot contain pork or alcohol.  Thanks. :)

I try out different ones, but the one thing I always add plenty of whether the recipe calls for it or not is cilantro.  For me, that really makes it!  (Also, I think I have made that Jane Brody one too!  I'm pretty sure I liked it.  :)

• Like 1

I make this Gazpacho from one of the Moosewood cookbooks. My friends who make Gazpacho think it's a bit "fussy" but they enjoy it when I make it!

:)Michele

4 cups cold tomato juice

1 small, well-minced onion

2 cups freshly diced tomatoes

1 cup minced green pepper

1 tsp. honey

1 clove crushed garlic

1 diced cucumber

2 scallions, chopped

juice of 1/2 lemon and1 lime

2 Tbs. Wine vinegar

1 tsp. tarragon

1 tsp. basil

dash of ground cumin

1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley

dash of Tabasco

2 Tbs. Olive oil

salt and pepper to  taste

Combine all ingredients, puree and chill for at least 2 hours

• Like 1

I follow the recipe my mom used to make at home, the traditional Andalusian gazpacho. I don't have specific amounts, I play it by ear. Basically, plenty of fresh ripe tomatoes, green bell peppers, cucumber, garlic, old white bread, water, extra virgin olive oil and salt. Chop everything finely, purée, chill and enjoy!

• Like 1

While not orthodox, when I worked in a cafe in college of their house gazpacho was NOT pureed. It was chunks of well seasoned and marinated fresh summer vegetables. So. Delicious! Ruined me on proper gazpacho.