Menu

Biology living books

This is my Amazon Biology Wish List of things I've been collecting for middle school biology next year.  :)

Basher's Human Body Book

Basher's Biology

Isaac Asimov's A Short History of Biology

Exploring the Way Life Works -- this is a textbook, but rumored to be an extraordinary and beautifully illustrated one

Animalium (Welcome to the Museum)

Evolution in Action: Natural History Through Spectacular Skeletons

Animal Earth: The Amazing Diversity of Living Creatures

Farm Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life

Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World

It's neither comprehensive or pared-down yet, but might have some things y'all would like ...

• Like 3

I am partial to the books by Alvin Silverstein (his wife Virginia Silverstein collaborates with him often). Life in a Bucket of Soil is one of my favorites and the newer hardcovers like Plate Tectonics, DNA, Symbiosis, etc. are excellent. 

Here's a list on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Alvin+Silverstein

• Like 2

Maybe it would have been useful to ask what level of books you are looking for. I suggested Lewis Thomas which is a book for adults that an advanced tween could read too. But that may not be an appropriate level.

Also, what about DVDs?

This is my Amazon Biology Wish List of things I've been collecting for middle school biology next year.  :)

Basher's Human Body Book

Basher's Biology

Isaac Asimov's A Short History of Biology

Exploring the Way Life Works -- this is a textbook, but rumored to be an extraordinary and beautifully illustrated one

Animalium (Welcome to the Museum)

Evolution in Action: Natural History Through Spectacular Skeletons

Animal Earth: The Amazing Diversity of Living Creatures

Farm Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life

Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World

It's neither comprehensive or pared-down yet, but might have some things y'all would like ...

I think I'm in love..! Those Anatomy books look wonderful - thanks for sharing!  :drool5:

• Like 1

He is in middle school, so any books work, from easy readers on up. He will often pour over college level texts so it could be any reading, really.

DVD's and/or videos on Netflix would work, too!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Attenborough's Life DVDs are excellent. 

Not quite biology, but relating human life to the story of the planet is How The Earth Made Us -- we so often hear of our impact on the planet: this is a great take on the planet's impact on us. 

Nova is a generally great source for DVDs but we have been focused on physics and I don't have much biology in mind.  One series we're watching now does great physics/bio crossover, though -- Making Stuff.  The "Making Stuff Wilder" has the most biology and is available via amazon instant; I don't know if Netflix has it, they do have several Novas I believe. 

He is in middle school, so any books work, from easy readers on up. He will often pour over college level texts so it could be any reading, really.

DVD's and/or videos on Netflix would work, too!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We started the book The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert yesterday which was highly recommended to us, and which I highly recommend to you.  It is mainly about animals and ecosystems, and, yes, extinctions. It was hard to put down and will probably be continued today just because it is so good even though this is not a school day for us. It is another book meant for adults, but accessible to my 13 year old and thus almost certainly also to your 12 year old from what you describe here about his reading. We have it as audio. 

My son loved Your Inner Fish, which we got for free from Howard Hughes Medical Institute -- hhmi.org probably -- and they have a lot on their site worth checking out.  We got some others from them that he also loved, but I cannot now recall the titles.  One we liked had EO Wilson in it.  Some are more movie like and some more like recorded lectures. One was a virtual lab, which we found a little disappointing. If you get the virtual lab and like it, maybe you could explain how you used it, since maybe we missed something about it.

Cracking the Code of Life and some others by Nova or similar on DNA are good and may be available from Netflix. We also liked a lot of David Attenborough's films. And once we had a few like these up, more would come up in boxes that were similar to choose from.

Dirt: the Movie available from Netflix (at least as a DVD) is excellent, on ecosystems within soil/dirt and other related topics.  I highly recommend it too.  Again, once you have selected this movie, more that are somewhat similar may come up--though really nothing else I've seen has been very similar to it. It is pretty unique.

We have a Biology Coloring Book by Griffin that I think is good, though it is more like a text book that one does coloring with to help with learning.

It isn't exactly relevant to your subject, but my ds also particularly loved Iain Stewart's Earth DVDs.

• Like 4

My 7th grader read and enjoyed a few things this year which your son might enjoy:

The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers edition - Michael Pollan

Eyes Wide Open: Going Beyond the Environmental Headlines - Paul Fleischman

The Third Chimpanzee for Young People - Jared Diamond

Watersheds: A Practical handbook for Healthy Water - Clive Dobson

Science 101: Ecology

Evolution - Daniel Loxton

Bones, Brains & DNA - Ian Tattersall

For this summer, she has planned:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sachs

What a Plant Knows - Daniel Chamovitz

Seeing Trees - Nancy Hugo

In 8th grade, here's what we're thinking so far:

Exploring the Way Life Works - Mahlon Hoagland

Letters to a Young Scientist - E O Wilson

We are also reading together two lovely Natural History books over the course of the year:

The Year of the Turtle - David Carroll

The Forest Unseen - David Haskell

• Like 4