Menu

A History of US Concise Edition

Are there student books and teacher books (like quizzes, assignments, etc) to go with these books? I'm going to need some way for my son to interact with these books, or he will skim the words and read without comprehension.

He's in 7th grade next year, but is a struggling reader, so this is the right reading level for him.

Becky

So we started using the 10 volume set this year (third graders), I bought some of the guides with them, never used the guides, got bogged down in the sheer number of the books, and switched to the one volume. But I never checked for lesson guides as I had basically just decided to read it through till it was done and be done.  Now I searched and since PBS has the MiniSeries based on the book, they also have awesome teaching guides that go with each of the Videos.  Each video has the same title as each chapter of the book, so I am assuming the content is exactly the same and the teaching guides could be used interchangeably between the miniseries and the book.  I am bummed not to have found them until now -- that also give suggestions for literature, music, art extensions,  and offer great leading questions for discussions.  

Here is the link:  http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/teachers/guides.html

• Like 3

So we started using the 10 volume set this year (third graders), I bought some of the guides with them, never used the guides, got bogged down in the sheer number of the books, and switched to the one volume. But I never checked for lesson guides as I had basically just decided to read it through till it was done and be done.  Now I searched and since PBS has the MiniSeries based on the book, they also have awesome teaching guides that go with each of the Videos.  Each video has the same title as each chapter of the book, so I am assuming the content is exactly the same and the teaching guides could be used interchangeably between the miniseries and the book.  I am bummed not to have found them until now -- that also give suggestions for literature, music, art extensions,  and offer great leading questions for discussions.  

Here is the link:  http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/teachers/guides.html

Great link.  Thank you!

I'm looking for the Concise edition supplements, too...... Possibly using teacher and student guides through K12. You can get them through Amazon. If not, I will probably come up with something to go along with the readings and throw in Time Travelers/Project Passport projects.

I was just coming here to ask if there are any plans/schedules that are more affordable than the teacher/resource guides. I don't have the concise edition as I didn't know about it until after I bought the regular one. 

Maybe the link above will be enough for me to use. 

I used the concise edition books but used the Hewitt Homeschool syllabus with it. The syllabus was designed to be used with the 10 book set, but it was not that difficult to figure out which chapters in the concise edition the tests lined up with. I originally used the tests as tests, but next time through plan to use them more as a study/comprehension guide.

My boys still remember and talk about things they learned from those books! On the down side, they now think they shouldn't have to take USH in high school because they "already know everything about American history" :lol:

ETA: the syllabus is only about $10

• Like 1

Bit of confusion here, I think. There are two book sets that might be called "concise."

There is a four book "concise edition" set developed to be used for kids by K12, which is what the OP is surely referring to.

There is also a single volume called "Freedom, A History of US" that goes with the PBS series. It's more for high school/adults.

They are both based on the original 10 (11 w/ source materials) volume set.

ETA: links, which I couldn't add from my phone.