Menu

Glacier National Park

mommymonster

We are planning a week-long camping trip in early June to visit Glacier. I'm finding less information than I expected, at least in the documentary area. I found a few books in our library system that I've requested. While I'm waiting for them to come in, does anyone have any BTDT advice? The kids are 9 and 6, and are relatively seasoned campers. They don't have bear experience, but we'll be keeping them close and drilling the rules from now until then. We'll be driving our van with a pop-up trailer. 

Any advice would be welcomed!

Off the top of my head....

Bear...stay in groups. Lots of noise when out hiking! Chat, song, talk...and stay together.  Resist the temptation to let the little ones wander ahead. A single person dawdling becomes a 'person alone' if they stumble upon a bear.

Bear proof cans for food storage. If bears are a problem the campsite might have them for rent. They might also have bear spray.   It is a nice security to have on the trail. Read the directions and make sure you know how to use it. It won't be helpful if it is in you backpack!

The Going to the Sun road may or may not be open in early June as that's a really early time for Glacier (snow melt wise).  If it's open, you'll have a much more scenic experience.

There are plenty of hikes in the area.  You'll have to choose some that you feel are suitable for your kids.  Definitely keep your kids close by, not only for critter issues (not likely on common popular hikes, but can happen if you get on not so traveled paths) but also because the flora of the area is very sensitive due to elevation.  Kids (or adults) tramping around off the paths can do real, lasting damage.

Definitely start at the Visitor's Center and watch the film (along with seeing the exhibits).  At National Parks the Visitor's Centers give a ton of info that is super useful.

We went in July two years ago and it snowed. It was really very cold! So plan for the crazy weather. We took a tour bus ride , it was very interesting but a little scary for those afraid of heights (me!). We went rafting nearby- I can't remember the name - and they had a family friendly rafting option that my then 6 year old could try. :)

• Like 1

We loved Glacier, but it was snowing there when we went in July so prepare for cold!  We did lots of hiking and the fishing was great.  Our non-stop talking two year old insured that the bears knew we were coming and got off the trail. Even then we had a few surprise encounters.  :>

We loved Glacier, but it was snowing there when we went in July so prepare for cold!  We did lots of hiking and the fishing was great.  Our non-stop talking two year old insured that the bears knew we were coming and got off the trail. Even then we had a few surprise encounters.  :>

Surprise encounters with bears or other critters?  Bears on commonly traveled paths (aka tons of people) would surprise me.  Mountain goats would not.  The goats there seem totally accustomed to having people around and are often on or around some very popular trails.  Ditto that with some other smaller critters.  It makes it really nice for seeing them!  But we've been there in August - not June or July - so I'm not certain what critters vs trails is like early in the season.

We went to Glacier last year in the middle of August when we were visiting my dd in Montana. There were lots of people on the trails.  Weather was very nice in the mid 70's.  It was wonderful!  No sightings of bears.  There are signs on the trails to make lots of noise to keep them away.  

I live near Glacier. You very well may see a bear on any trail you are on during the summer. I would get some bear spray and take it everywhere I go. Do a google/youtube search on exactly how to use it just to be prepared. In all the times I've been on trails there I've never had to pull it out. Bears more often just move away from the noise.

do NOT go off of the trail at any time. For the flora's sake but also to avoid encounters with animals.

June will be pretty cool or cold at times, you will probably get snowed on...more than once...and you may or may not get to the Going To the Sun road. Bring many layering possibilities and a winter coat.

The park's website is just full of useful info, including bear behavior info, clothing suggestions by month, etc. The site also has links to pics/videos of the current plowing of the Sun road...like...what they did yesterday...so u can keep track of the progress and the expected date of opening. Glacier is unequaled in beauty in all of the park, but the Sun road tops it all. Its just unbelievable. If I'm not mistaken the road almost never opens before June 15. I watch the plowers via their website every year and can never get over the work and bravery it takes to plow that road!

Waterfalls in Glacier.....ahhhh what beauty.

Something the kids might enjoy is the boat rides at St Marys (upper East end of park). We sometimes do the one where they take u around the first lake then drop you on the far end, and u walk 1/4 a mile on a trail take lake 2. Then they take you around lake 2 and drop you off at the end of that one, and u take that trail to lake 3. You putter around lake 3 then come back they way you came. We all bring binoculars to scope put the lakeshore for all sorts of critters. But that area is one of the highest volume bear areas and often the trails are closed due to increased bear activity. You can check at the hotel there to make sure. Oh and the St. Marys hotel has a fascinating history, too. There is a trail you can drive on there in that area that is a one mile loop that is known for almost certain bear viewing from the car.

Be sure to research any trails you want to go on ahead of time...even picking up several trail maps to refer to. Some trails quickly go from wide to narrow with drop offs and wouldn't be something I'd take younger children on. The majority are fine.

It does take a long time to get anywhere there because of how spread out it is.

Glacier is an amazing trip if everyone plays it safe and gives the bears a lot of distance. Reading as much as you can on bears and your camping habits (food especially) will be extremely helpful, too.

Lake Mcdonald at Apgar Village is breathtaking. Some of the towns outside of Glacier on the West side have some very yummy places to eat. Oh..and bring a lot of food for times inside the park because there are no restaurants, except the very occasional gift shop and, well, St. Marys hotel.

Which campground will you camp at?

• Like 3

Also, everyone in the park is soooo nice and helpful so pick their brains. I just re-read and saw u will be here ...early... June. You may encounter snow on trails so check on that before you go on them. I'm assuming that you will be hiking... You may not lol. This was an incredibly light winter so snow m at be lower than usual, too? Just helps to check.

Forgot to mention there's no cell service anywhere at all in and around the park. You may be lucky to find a stray signal but its unlikely.

Lastly, welcome to Montana! My 'happiest place on earth'!

I live near Glacier. You very well may see a bear on any trail you are on during the summer. I would get some bear spray and take it everywhere I go. Do a google/youtube search on exactly how to use it just to be prepared. In all the times I've been on trails there I've never had to pull it out. Bears more often just move away from the noise.

It'll probably be cheapest at the Wal-Mart in Kalispell.

do NOT go off of the trail at any time. For the flora's sake but also to avoid encounters with animals.

June will be pretty cool or cold at times, you will probably get snowed on...more than once...and you may or may not get to the Going To the Sun road. Bring many layering possibilities and a winter coat.

DEFINITELY prepare for cold; layering is a must.

The park's website is just full of useful info, including bear behavior info, clothing suggestions by month, etc. The site also has links to pics/videos of the current plowing of the Sun road...like...what they did yesterday...so u can keep track of the progress and the expected date of opening. Glacier is unequaled in beauty in all of the park, but the Sun road tops it all. Its just unbelievable. If I'm not mistaken the road almost never opens before June 15. I watch the plowers via their website every year and can never get over the work and bravery it takes to plow that road!

All of the above!

Waterfalls in Glacier.....ahhhh what beauty.

Something the kids might enjoy is the boat rides at St Marys (upper East end of park). We sometimes do the one where they take u around the first lake then drop you on the far end, and u walk 1/4 a mile on a trail take lake 2. Then they take you around lake 2 and drop you off at the end of that one, and u take that trail to lake 3. You putter around lake 3 then come back they way you came. We all bring binoculars to scope put the lakeshore for all sorts of critters. But that area is one of the highest volume bear areas and often the trails are closed due to increased bear activity. You can check at the hotel there to make sure. Oh and the St. Marys hotel has a fascinating history, too. There is a trail you can drive on there in that area that is a one mile loop that is known for almost certain bear viewing from the car.

Be sure to research any trails you want to go on ahead of time...even picking up several trail maps to refer to. Some trails quickly go from wide to narrow with drop offs and wouldn't be something I'd take younger children on. The majority are fine.

It does take a long time to get anywhere there because of how spread out it is.

Glacier is an amazing trip if everyone plays it safe and gives the bears a lot of distance. Reading as much as you can on bears and your camping habits (food especially) will be extremely helpful, too.

Lake Mcdonald at Apgar Village is breathtaking. Some of the towns outside of Glacier on the West side have some very yummy places to eat. Oh..and bring a lot of food for times inside the park because there are no restaurants, except the very occasional gift shop and, well, St. Marys hotel.

Which campground will you camp at?

:iagree: Great post.

Some things I have bookmarked:

Glacier National Park Resource Guide

Crown of the Continent Research Learning Center

Horseback Rides

Hungry Horse Dam

The Glacier Institute

Curriculum  :o

As said above, Glacier is INCREDIBLE.  Have a wonderful (and safe!) trip. :001_smile:

• Like 2

I grew up in Montana, too. Like candmforever says, read about bears before you go! One of my brothers had to *assume the position* when he and a buddy encountered a grizzly bear on a trail. Luckily, the bear just sniffed in the air and walked away while my brother and his friend played dead praying to dear God. A few rules:

Don't get between a Mama bear and her cubs. Ever!

Don't smell like food. Bears will even eat soy products which one did when he broke into a store at Big Sky and decided to eat only soy items. LOL.

I took my NYC hubby and kids out to GNP and there was no way in he** I was going to go on the off trails or trails without a lot of other humans. I grew up hearing about the maulings which colored my perceptions forever. I will go anywhere with people like my old neighbor who was forest ranger and who has encountered bears while camping and knows what to do. But that's it!

You will probably see all kinds of animals. We had deer walk up to us in one area which was a highlight.

If you can't drive Going to the Sun Road, you could go see Flathead Lake which is crystal clear and quite pretty. It's about an hour-ish from the west entrance of GNP, I think. Personally, I like the western side of GNP better than the eastern but that's just me. Apgar Lake is lovely and dark and right by the western entrance. You might be able to rent a canoe and paddle out. We did that but it was beginning of August. Not sure if you can do it beginning of June.

Going to the Sun Road feels safer driving from east to west because you'll be hugging the mountain more of the time that way. We drove over to the east on Highway 2, just south of Going to the Sun, and travelled the east to west route. Highway 2 is quite pretty itself and you will have some stretches that are along a drop off.

You could also go over to the Blackfoot Indian Reservation, maybe schedule to meet with some of them to learn more. We drove into Browning (not much to see there, though), then made the mistake of driving the shortcut, Highway 49, from Browning to East Glacier. Never again! The drop offs were spectacular but it was the scariest drive I've ever been on. We saw cows on the road at the beginning and that should have tipped us off that the road is not travelled on much…for a reason!

Now that you've been amply scared, have fun! :D it really is very pretty and like candmforever said, check out the updates of clearing Going to the Sun Road. I knew a guy who did that and it was something else. Those people are amazing.

• Like 4

I grew up in Montana, too. Like candmforever says, read about bears before you go! One of my brothers had to *assume the position* when he and a buddy encountered a grizzly bear on a trail. Luckily, the bear just sniffed in the air and walked away while my brother and his friend played dead praying to dear God. A few rules:

Don't get between a Mama bear and her cubs. Ever!

Don't smell like food. Bears will even eat soy products which one did when he broke into a store at Big Sky and decided to eat only soy items. LOL.

I took my NYC hubby and kids out to GNP and there was no way in he** I was going to go on the off trails or trails without a lot of other humans. I grew up hearing about the maulings which colored my perceptions forever. I will go anywhere with people like my old neighbor who was forest ranger and who has encountered bears while camping and knows what to do. But that's it!

You will probably see all kinds of animals. We had deer walk up to us in one area which was a highlight.

If you can't drive Going to the Sun Road, you could go see Flathead Lake which is crystal clear and quite pretty. It's about an hour-ish from the west entrance of GNP, I think. Personally, I like the western side of GNP better than the eastern but that's just me. Apgar Lake is lovely and dark and right by the western entrance. You might be able to rent a canoe and paddle out. We did that but it was beginning of August. Not sure if you can do it beginning of June.

Going to the Sun Road feels safer driving from east to west because you'll be hugging the mountain more of the time that way. We drove over to the east on Highway 2, just south of Going to the Sun, and travelled the east to west route. Highway 2 is quite pretty itself and you will have some stretches that are along a drop off.

You could also go over to the Blackfoot Indian Reservation, maybe schedule to meet with some of them to learn more. We drove into Browning (not much to see there, though), then made the mistake of driving the shortcut, Highway 49, from Browning to East Glacier. Never again! The drop offs were spectacular but it was the scariest drive I've ever been on. We saw cows on the road at the beginning and that should have tipped us off that the road is not travelled on much…for a reason!

Now that you've been amply scared, have fun! :D it really is very pretty and like candmforever said, check out the updates of clearing Going to the Sun Road. I knew a guy who did that and it was something else. Those people are amazing.

OH my yes, that road is called Spyglass road and that is where I had a full and complete panic attack requiring my family to scramble for meds and my inhaler and tissues.  We looked on the map and thought, OH a shortcut!  No no no no no NO!  My dh thought it was fun!  I, on the other hand, felt death.  lol 

Browning...eh.. be careful there.  There is a LOT of crime there.  I have good friend who lives there and advises me not to stop at a gas station or anything unless I HAVE to.  If the reservation has any educational offerings, those areas might be safe.  I dunno, I'm just going on what she said and news reports coming from there.

I'll go one step further about mama bears and cubs.  If I see them, I back out slowly, facing them.....and don't return to that trail.  If you see a Ranger, and you are likely to, report that you saw a mama and cubs up ahead.  They need to know for the safety of those about to go on the trail.  

I thought of another thing...at a campsite, bring the kids in as dusk begins.  Or have them stay by the fire.  We sometimes even stay in a private cabin in the woods and don't let my teens out back after dark.  Dusk and dawn are natural feeding times for a lot of these animals. 

Glacier can be a super safe, super fun trip.  Don't let all of this scare you.  It's something not many people know a lot about or every have to prepare for (In knowledge and a few other packed goodies..like the bear spray).  BUT once you prepare yourself, take what you find out very seriously, and are aware of exactly what it calls for, you are good to go!  

• Like 1

Thank you so much, everyone! I appreciate all of the awesome advice! It is good to know that we still might be seeing snow. That will be hugely exciting for the boys. We are winter campers, but we usually stay in the rather mild Pacific Northwest. I think we will have to do some further research about the hiking and camping options. candmforever, JoJosmom, and MBM, thank you so much for the suggestions for places to go/things to see! It is wonderful to get the first-hand recommendations. 

• Like 2

Hey...looks like Going to the Sun is partially open to Avalanche ...you can take a few hikes from that parking lot at Avalanche including a very popular and non strenuous, Trail of the Ceders. <3 !!  The hike TO Avalanche lake is long and has some altitude gain, but is among the most memorable sites of my life there at the end...a huge, yet cozy mountain lake surrounded by high peaks and waterfalls.  (((faint)))  I need to get off this thread before I waste my day away on Glacier dreaming. haha

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

• Like 1