Menu

Need help with K science

I cannot figure out what to do about science. I've looked at a lot of the ones mentioned here and on Cathy Duffy but I remain confused. I would love a straight forward spine with explanations and experiments and suggested extra readings but I don't know if it exists? I am not going to be able to make it up myself, first of all I doubt I even know K science, and if it's not in front of me it will slip. I've been trying to put together a prehistory focus for DS and it has pretty much slid off my radar.

Here's what I've checked out:

Nancy Larson--serious sticker shock! How is this worth the price?!

Mr Q-- looks interesting but I think definitely for older kids.

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey and Real Science 4 kids--both look interesting as well but also for older kids?

BFSU--nervous about this! Was thinking of waiting until closer to first.

Anything that is easy and gentle for K? Thanks!

I didn't do any amount of formal science with my kindy kids. They explored the yard, went on hikes, played with bugs, and perhaps grew flowers in the window.

Alternatively, you could get the complete set of Magic School Bus and call it good.

• Like 3

I used BFSU with my child in kindergarten and once I got the hang of using it, it was great for K. It seems like a lot of work initially and everyone seems to have to find a way where it will work for them, but once you get going and figure out what works for you it becomes very easy.

• Like 1

Elemental Science Intro to Science K offers everything you asked for--explanations of the weekly topics, simple and fun experiments for Kers, extra reading lists, extra activities, student pages and all laid-out weekly plans including nature study--at a reasonable cost. My son begged me to do the science experiment everyday! The experimental kit was a lifesaver for me but you might not need it if you can gather materials on your own. You can look at the sample pages at www.elementalscience.com.

We just go to the library and check out books. My 5 yod loves nature and we read science books for bedtime stories. :) lately we have read about bats, killer ants, and pelicans. No rhyme or reason to what we read other than walking through the children's non-fiction section and looking at various titles. Once we have a small stack, I call it good. She loves it.

This is the method I continue with my kids throughout majority of their homeschooling years. My kids all love science and the approach has produced very successful science students.

• Like 1

I didn't look any further at Elemental Science once I realized it was by the same company as Sassafrass Science since I've seen so many bad reviews for the latter. Is ES free of all of the typos that seemed to drive everyone crazy with Sassafrass? Is it well researched?

I used McRuffy K. It thought it was just the right scope, sequence, and price for a kindergartener.

I use Elemental Science and it is a great program. I'm sure there are a few typos in the teaching manual but you don't really do more than scan it for instruction/ideas. They do not write the spines, they use DK/Usborne sources and Janice Van Cleve experiment/demonstration materials.

I didn't look any further at Elemental Science once I realized it was by the same company as Sassafrass Science since I've seen so many bad reviews for the latter. Is ES free of all of the typos that seemed to drive everyone crazy with Sassafrass? Is it well researched?

Elemental is a guide for the teacher. The actual books are written by other people. They are published by major companies. I vote for bfsu though. It might be more work in that it requires you to read through the lesson beforehand, but it is a lot more appropriate for k IMO. It is discussion and activity based. Elemental is read this encyclopedia and fill in a notebook page. The demonstrations seem to me to be less elegant than bfsu. For a k student, you will probably be doing the writing with elemental. Bfsu demonstrations are very well done to illustrate the point. Sometimes you don't even need to set up equipment, but just draw the student's attention to something that surrounds them already.

I tried Mr. Q with M in kindergarten.  It was okay, but I think she would have got more out of it a year or two later.

Now, with j, we play outside, ask questions and look for answers at the library or Internet, read books like Let's Read and Find Out Science and books by Gail Gibbons, watch Magic School Bus episodes, watch documentaries we find on Netflix, and do any interesting experiments we find out about.

Actually that's what I'm doing with both kids for now.  I don't think we'll do a formal science until at least middle school.  

I'm another BFSU user!  It took me a while of sitting down and thinking out our path and seeing what resources my library had and what additional hands-on ideas I could find online, but I think it's giving my kids a great foundation in science (scientific understanding, even :P )!