Menu

Ds applying for a job

Night Elf

Ds wants to apply for a job at a game store. We've been customers there for years and sort of know one guy who I think is the manager. Unfortunately, I do not remember his name. I'd like ds to go in to talk to him since he knows ds. Should he just go in and hope the guy is there? Should he just go in and ask if they are hiring? Should he just go in and ask for an application? The application we found online asks for game knowledge but we don't know what that really means. If he filled out the application, should he ask about that when he turns it in or maybe even when it's handed to him or should he just write something like 'general knowledge'?

I don't want to go in with him so I have to coach him on what to say. He has Aspergers and the guy we know there knows a little about ds, but I don't think he knows specifically he has a diagnosis. This is not something he would want to advertise as it wouldn't or shouldn't affect how he works.

This makes me really nervous. He needs this job and I don't even know if they are hiring. I thought about having him call to ask if the manager is in today but they'll probably want to know what ds is asking and I don't know if he should ask if they are hiring on the phone. That just seems better to do in person.

My advice?

He walks in there, right up to the counter, and indicates that he would love to work at the shop and are there any current openings? If so, apply! If not? Here is my number, please call if something changes.

Now. I wouldn't actually expect a call, I'd expect my son to go back in there in a month and try again. But approaching the manager with confidence and eagerness is proactive and a great sign for a potential hire, and leaving a number indicates more than casual interest and makes him more memorable.

For a sales type job, I have found that to be the best way to get hired. It worked for me about ten times, often over a stack of other applicants. Confidence, friendliness, and proactive contact with the boss makes an immense difference, whether you know them or not. Having that 'posture' will help him with the job.

And aspergers or not, I'd really recommend your son manage all this himself. Having a parent intervene doesn't look as good, no matter the sweetness of the intent behind it ;)

My advice?

He walks in there, right up to the counter, and indicates that he would love to work at the shop and are there any current openings? If so, apply! If not? Here is my number, please call if something changes.

Now. I wouldn't actually expect a call, I'd expect my son to go back in there in a month and try again. But approaching the manager with confidence and eagerness is proactive and a great sign for a potential hire, and leaving a number indicates more than casual interest and makes him more memorable.

For a sales type job, I have found that to be the best way to get hired. It worked for me about ten times, often over a stack of other applicants. Confidence, friendliness, and proactive contact with the boss makes an immense difference, whether you know them or not. Having that 'posture' will help him with the job.

And aspergers or not, I'd really recommend your son manage all this himself. Having a parent intervene doesn't look as good, no matter the sweetness of the intent behind it ;)

Thanks, but I didnt mean to imply I wanted to help beyond coaching him. Even professionals benefit from a job coach.

• Like 2

Thanks, but I didnt mean to imply I wanted to help beyond coaching him. Even professionals benefit from a job coach.

I know when I first started, my mom coached me (even though that's not what she thought she was doing). It started with phone calls, and me writing down what I needed to say. It progressed to in-person, but I'd still practice beforehand. Many times I'll still write down notes of what I want to get across before approaching a situation (and I'm over 40!).

I do suggest he go in to talk to the manager personally since they know each other. You can help him with what to say as a greeting, and how to ask if he can work there. You can practice the scenario with him. Then, you drive him there (or however he gets there), and he does what he practiced. It's a big step, good luck!

• Like 2

Game knowledge usually just means knowing the latest and greatest in Wii/PS/XBox games. Also things like what is the difference between PS3 and PS4, and whether games are compatible between newer and older models.

People usually walk in and ask about a job around here. Especially if they are regular customers.

He's got system knowledge, which is something else they ask on the application. In fact, he owns all the major consoles and even older ones like Sega Genesis and Nintendo GameCube. They also ask if he has PC knowledge. He plays a few games on the PC, but he doesn't play as an RPG, just solo. In fact, he's not a big multiplayer game player. We're just thrown by the Game Software question. The lines for these questions are tiny too. I don't know how much they expect to read in such a small space.

Unfortunately he has no references. We don't know anyone outside family and that's not allowed as a reference.

That's great! With a tiny space just indicate the platforms he has used and elaborate in person when turning in the application. If the manager is there, using the time of returning the application to do an impromptu mini q&a interview is a great way to handle it. He could even say something to the effect of "I saw the application question relating to game knowledge and was t sure exactly what you meant. But my experience is with _______ gaming platforms, _________ styles of games, and I really love discussing the latest releases and researching up and coming developers in _____ trade magazines". That should sufficiently cover his bases and looks eager and knowledgable without looking desperate, I think.

I hope he gets the job, it sounds like a wonderful fit for him!

Unfortunately he has no references. We don't know anyone outside family and that's not allowed as a reference.

He doesn't know "any" adults at all, outside of his family? That's going to be a red flag on his application. I personally would have an issue hiring a teen that doesn't know any adults that can give him/her a positive reference. AS has nothing to do with it. I do understand the AS stuff, as my son has AS, so I know that there are issues. My son has always told people he has AS, and explains a bit about it, in the interview. And he was hired for all but one that he applied to (5 interviews, 4 jobs). You might want to spend some time having him develop relationships with other adults, over the next few months, perhaps by volunteering, and then have him apply for jobs.

He doesn't know "any" adults at all, outside of his family? That's going to be a red flag on his application. I personally would have an issue hiring a teen that doesn't know any adults that can give him/her a positive reference. AS has nothing to do with it. I do understand the AS stuff, as my son has AS, so I know that there are issues. My son has always told people he has AS, and explains a bit about it, in the interview. And he was hired for all but one that he applied to (5 interviews, 4 jobs). You might want to spend some time having him develop relationships with other adults, over the next few months, perhaps by volunteering, and then have him apply for jobs.

For references do you have any co op teachers, tutors, aides, coaches, counsellors, parents of friends, or your own business contacts who have had any exposure to your son? Even a dentist or orthodontist could provide a decent reference if you needed one. Just someone who knows your son and can attest to his character or personality should suffice, especially for this sort of job. If they have experienced him being pleasant, engaging, competent, or hard working, I'd use them as a reference :)

For references do you have any co op teachers, tutors, aides, coaches, counsellors, parents of friends, or your own business contacts who have had any exposure to your son? Even a dentist or orthodontist could provide a decent reference if you needed one. Just someone who knows your son and can attest to his character or personality should suffice, especially for this sort of job. If they have experienced him being pleasant, engaging, competent, or hard working, I'd use them as a reference :)

Those are excellent suggestions!

He went in today. They are not hiring but he filled out the application. The only positions they have open are part-time management in other stores. I still think I'll have him follow-up in a week or so. Or maybe we'll wait a month and let him fill out another application. When dd worked part-time at a couple of places at this mall, they never kept applications beyond consideration for an open position. I'd hate for his application to be thrown out but it can happen. I told him another time they might be hiring is at the end of summer as people might quit to go back to school. He's still iffy on working and going to college part-time himself. I told him if he has a job already, it wouldn't be too bad to do both. But I can see it being nerve-wracking to try to start both at the same time.