Menu

Went to the pet store today and........

saw the cutest yellow lab puppy in the world!!!

My son and I fell in love with him! One thing, we've never had a dog. We've always had cats, hamsters, ferrets.

Are puppies a lot of work and are they hard to house-break??:confused:

I just don't know about this. All I know is we've been thinking about this pup ever since we came home.

Now this is just my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it, and I'm sure lots of folks will disagree.

First, I would never buy a dog from a pet store. I am concerned about their health and their bloodlines, and I am not about to support puppy mills.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/get_the_facts_on_puppy_mills/

Before I bought a dog, I would research the breed to make sure it would be a good fit for my family. (I just took this test and Collie was the 3rd choice for me -- boxer was #1 & lab #2(!).)

http://us.eukanuba.com/eukanuba/en_US/jsp/Euk_Page.jsp?pageID=BS

On this test, collie came out #1 for me!

http://www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl

I promise, this is the last link to breed selectors:

http://www.puppyfinder.com/breedselector.php

Then I would find a reputable breeder and select one after interviewing several. My main concerns would be the health of the breeder's dogs, including genetic disorders, and the temperment of the breeder's dogs.

I think of my dog as being a permanent member of my family, so which breed and which puppy I choose from that breed are very important to me.

Second, some breeds are harder to train than others. I have a rough collie and those are smart dogs. My dog was completely, 100%, housebroken in 1 day. How I did it is part of that, but the dog just caught on quickly -- to that and to everything else.

Third, puppies are a lot of work, IMO, but it is a labor of love. I didn't look at it as "work" because I thoroughly enjoyed my dog's puppyhood.

Here are some good websites for further information about labs:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/buying/common/puppies.html

That said, I know lots of people who have labs and love them. For me, the breed is just too hyperactive and they make my dog nervous because his temperment is so different from theirs. Do I like labs? Yes. They are among the friendliest dogs I've ever met.

RC

P.S. All of the above is why I no longer go into pet stores at which puppies are sold. Those cute puppies are just too, too tempting.

We had a puppy and kept it until it was 18 months old -- then we found another home for it.

Aaack! Dogs are a lot of work and they are expensive. I calculated we spent over $1000 the first year on a vet bills (vaccinations and neutering), pet sitting bills, dog supplies (like a doghouse), etc.. We can leave our cats for a couple days without a pet sitter, but a dog needs to be tended to at least once a day.

Our puppy chewed our window sills...chewed through the air conditioner pipe....tore up the yard...and the financial cost was just not worth it. (Not to mention jumping on my Sunday dress with muddy paws, jumping on me and tearing my pantyhose, etc. ) When in the house, the puppy ate my kids' toys, grabbed the napkins off the dining room table and chewed them up, and had to be constantly supervised.

We tried obedience training. I read the Monks of New Skete book. We tried, but failed. To me it was a lot of work and definitely not worth it.

I highly agree with RoughCollie. As the daughter of a lifetime dog/cat/pygmy goat breeder AND one who has worked in a couple of pet stores (one which sold dogs and one which did not), I recommend never to buy a dog in a pet store.

Dog are a LOT of work but as mentioned, they are a member of your family. I have never owned a lab but do know them to be a little overexcited, especially as puppies. Is that bad? Naahhh. Just different from my experience with more lap dogs and Irish Setters (the BEST dogs).

If you are looking at a dog (and your heart seems to be leaning towards the move), attend a dog show. Yes, they can be boring and loud and you leave feeling like you have hair attached to every part of your surface, BUT you can get a lot of information by attending a dog show. If it is a multi-breed dog show, you will be able to check out many breeds. Nearly all the owners will be happy to speak with you (tho you may need to ask them when is best, they are often pressed for time). Many of them will be breeders or know someone who does breed. Then check out multiple breeders. Any reputable breeder will have a return policy on sick puppies. They will all recommend you take the puppy immediately to a vet to have them checked out.

Good luck!

It is a nightmare for me. He is a purebred Vishla. HE chews everything even though he is no longer a puppy. MY woodwork in my house is chewed, AG Bitty Twin, $400 digital camera all chewed. He makes a mess eating his food yet will not eat small scraps that the children accidently drop. He gets poopy dipes out of the trash and eats them. He sits on my head when I am sitting on the couch trying to read to the children. Cleaning the outside poop is a huge job and he has cost thousands. I know this is very neg and I am sorry. I hope you get some positives to balance it out. I know many people with wonderful dogs. This dog is a daily pain but yet I do love him and do not want to get rid of him. Please do not flame me for me bad attitude.

Kari

not to mention our horse, lizards, gerbils and fish.

We got a new puppy last year. He was a lot of work the first few months--but he has matured into a great dog. He, like our other dog, is a German Shepherd. This new guy is HUGE (will be around 140 lbs)--a 'classic' shepherd. He cost a pretty penny as we purchased him from a reputable breeder (I researched for nearly one year). While we love our 'parking lot purchased' shepherd, he has had joint/hip problems his whole life--the new puppy has a warranty! It was much CHEAPER to purchase the expensive puppy than the defective parking lot dog...

Our very first dog was a pound puppy (shepherd mix) we saw at a local pet store. She was a great dog--gentle, well mannered, great with kids...she did not have any health problems until her last year with us--we had her over 12 years--and she was an adult when we got her. The benefits of getting a young adult (already house trained) was perfect for our young family. We chose carefully because we did not want an adult dog with bad habits.

Now back to the puppy...

If you remember any of the posts about 'tomato staking' kids--well this is also what you have to do with a puppy. The puppy will need to be confined (we used a bathroom with a toddler gate) in a small place when not in direct supervision. Many people crate train--but I do not like crate training larger breeds...as long as the crate is not the primary 'spot' then it is a fine way to go. Potty training varied--it can take a few weeks to a few months (about 3 months for our puppy because he was growing so fast!). Your cats and ferret may or may not take to the new puppy...usually the puppy will accept your old pets (our puppy LOVES our old cat--and the cat tolerates him too).

A puppy takes a lot of time and effort the first few months--and don't forget about training (manners...).

If you have the time--and your heart is in it--then make a careful decision and enjoy having a dog.

I would not recommend buying a puppy from a pet store. Ever. Either go to a breeder (where you will get what you pay for), a rescue organization or shelter. If you are interested in rescuing an adult dog you can also sometimes find the perfect family pet in the newspaper... People often have to give up wonderful adult dogs for various reasons (moving, divorce, new baby and can't handle it all).

Just do your research.

Pet stores are renowned for being the worst place to get a dog. These puppies tend to be much harder to house train because they've been forced to become accustomed to peeing and pooping in their sleeping/eating area -- which is not their natural instinct. That is only the most immediate problem you would likely encounter. They are **rarely** (if ever... it would be a real stretch) acquired by the pet store from reputable breeders. Reputable breeders will not sell to pet stores.

Dogs, particularly puppies, are a lot of work and *can* be hard to house train (they aren't always of course). They can be very hyper (labs in particular can have a long puppyhood). But they can also be a perfect joy. Plan on spending a lot of time on training... even plan on obedience classes or in home training with a professional if you do not have a lot of experience training a dog... or even if you do. It will be money well spent!

My dh and I weren't even looking for a dog the day we got our puppy. We were at a mall, walked into a petstore, and there he was. He was the only big puppy in a small cage and I felt so sorry for him even though I'm a cat person. Dh is the dog lover here, but he didn't tell me how much training a dog requires. Had I known then what I know now, I'm sure I would've hardened my heart and left the store immediately!

We learned the hard way about pet store pups...they (or at least ours) lose their instinct to keep their den clean when they are confined to a cage and have no where else but their cage to do their business. So... when we brought our golden retriever puppy home we had many, many, many messes to clean up while trying to housebreak him. We were instructed to do crate training, but even with that he would go in the crate, roll over in it, and then he and his crate would need to be cleaned.

Shortly after we got him, a woman at a petfood store told us that he'd probably die or have something horribly wrong with him because he was probably from a puppy mill. Fortunately, he lived for 13 years until we lost him to cancer... with no signs of hip dysplasia, etc. I try not to think about the housebreaking problems and all the chewing and scratching damage he did around the house, but it was significant. We live in the city and didn't want to annoy the neighbors by leaving a barking dog outside when we were away. Our dog had "separation anxiety" when left alone, according to the vet. I don't know how much of that we can blame on his origins, but I always told my dh that we never should've taken a dog whose mother's name was Damaging Dixie! All that being said, he was very gentle with our dc, and for that I'll always be grateful!

Our pet store has pound puppies once in a while. Not all pups in a pet store are puppy mill pups.

My brother has a lab (mostly lab) and he has been the best dog. Gentle, loyal, loving.

They do take work...especially the first year. But there is a board on the net for everything and I've found lots of help for my Brittany. She is 4 and still lots of work btw, :rolleyes:but we love her.

however, we don't want a puppy from a pet store. Have heard horror stories galor about them, plus they want $1200 for this pup.:eek:

We've seen breeders listed in the paper for the same breed and they only want $450-600 for a pup!

We love animals here and I'd have a zoo if allowed, but $1200 for a puppy is waaay too much for me.

Thanks again!