Menu

Dr. Hive Heavy Prolonged Cycles During Perimenopause

speedmom4

Hi ladies,

I seriously hope someone can relate to my experience. I just had bloodwork done and I am definitely in perimenopause. I am only 40. I definitely have had symptoms for several months.

My biggest current issue is that I've been bleeding for two months straight. I started on February 23. It's April 22 today. After a month I went to the Gyn. She did a pelvic exam and said that I was bleeding quite heavy so she put me on Provera 5mg for 7 days. It slowed down a bit but did not completely stop it.

I called back two weeks later as it continued to get heavier and heavier. She put me on 10 mg of Provera for 5 days. I did stop for about 2 days but by day 5 I was again cramping and the bleeding started again. I had an ultrasound today and the tech said she didn't see anything but that the doc would call me tomorrow.

I am beyond frustrated. I am tired, nauseous and cranky. I seriously do not want to go on the pill but I'm afraid that's the next step. I am not opposed to a surgical solution at this point.

Has anyone successfully treated something like this? What did you do and how are you now?

I know that it could be so much worse and that I have a lot to be thankful for.

Thank you for any input!

Elise in NC

I have no expertise to offer but I hope (and recommend) that your iron levels also be checked and monitored while this continues.

What a drag. Hope you and your caregivers can get it figured out soon.

ETA Sorry, I almost forgot to say that I had a cervical ablation to due heavy cycles and chronic anemia. I still cycle, and it's getting irregular as I am considered in the peri menopausal range, but my anemia has been under control since the procedure.

• Like 2

I have no expertise to offer but I hope (and recommend) that your iron levels also be checked and monitored while this continues.

What a drag. Hope you and your caregivers can get it figured out soon.

ETA Sorry, I almost forgot to say that I had a cervical ablation to due heavy cycles and chronic anemia. I still cycle, and it's getting irregular as I am considered in the peri menopausal range, but my anemia has been under control since the procedure.

A month ago they checked my hemoglobin and it was at 13, so no anemia then. I would like them to recheck it. Thanks for the info.

Is a cervical ablation like a uterine ablation?

Elise in NC

Hi ladies,

I seriously hope someone can relate to my experience. I just had bloodwork done and I am definitely in perimenopause. I am only 40. I definitely have had symptoms for several months.

My biggest current issue is that I've been bleeding for two months straight. I started on February 23. It's April 22 today. After a month I went to the Gyn. She did a pelvic exam and said that I was bleeding quite heavy so she put me on Provera 5mg for 7 days. It slowed down a bit but did not completely stop it.

I called back two weeks later as it continued to get heavier and heavier. She put me on 10 mg of Provera for 5 days. I did stop for about 2 days but by day 5 I was again cramping and the bleeding started again. I had an ultrasound today and the tech said she didn't see anything but that the doc would call me tomorrow.

I am beyond frustrated. I am tired, nauseous and cranky. I seriously do not want to go on the pill but I'm afraid that's the next step. I am not opposed to a surgical solution at this point.

Has anyone successfully treated something like this? What did you do and how are you now?

I know that it could be so much worse and that I have a lot to be thankful for.

Thank you for any input!

Elise in NC

Been there, done that. Over the year and a half I tried the BC, provera, D&C, and ablation. Regretted not going for the iron supplements and hysterectomy sooner. 

• Like 1

A month ago they checked my hemoglobin and it was at 13, so no anemia then. I would like them to recheck it. Thanks for the info.

Is a cervical ablation like a uterine ablation?

Elise in NC

Yes, I am probably the one using the incorrect term. I had the Novasure procedure.

• Like 2

Been there, done that. Over the year and a half I tried the BC, provera, D&C, and ablation. Regretted not going for the iron supplements and hysterectomy sooner.

I want to cry thinking that this could go on for much longer. I can't imagine dealing with all of this for a year and a half.

I definitely want my iron levels checked soon to see if some of my symptoms are anemia related or just perimenopause symtpoms.

I am not opposed to a hysterectomy but I don't think I'm there quite yet. Have you had any negative side effects or has the experience been all positive?

Thanks for your input!

Elise in NC

Hello, yes, I have had heavy, prolonged cycles, and had to take provera on and off for the last few years. For me, provera needed to be taken several months to sufficiently offset estrogen to reduce bleeding, and I had to take it from day 5 to 25 each cycle.

I would ask for another hemoglobin test, and check ferretin levels too (iron storage). Thirteen hgb is fine, but it is likely lower now after another month of bleeding.

Tests/procedures performed by the doctor were: endometrial biopsy, d&c/hysteroscopy, ultrasound, and transvaginal ultrasound.

Have you had your thyroid checked? Hypothyroid can exacerbate mentrual bleeding.

Hope this helps some. It's a miserable, helpless feeling when you cannot get the bleeding stopped. :grouphug:

Hystersisters is a great site to learn the positives and negatives about uterine ablation, hysterectomy, and heavy menstrual bleeding: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/

• Like 1

The ablation stopped the heavy bleeding? Any regrets? Any negative side effects?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Elise in NC

Ablation stopped the heavy, almost non-stop bleeding with clots like you would not believe. 

Thanks to this list, I researched Novasure specifically and then sought out a doctor who would use that procedure.  Side effects are that there is a strong possibility you will never be able to conceive; it's only recommended only for women who are done with childbearing.

Stopped my bleeding entirely.  No period since then.  I had debilitating hemorrhaging for two years and spent a fortune on sanitary supplies and natural progesterone cream. My then-gyn's recommendations were only synthetic oral progesterone, birth control patch, and suggesting a balloon ablation with no promise that it would change anything, or a hysterectomy.  It was awful. I'm so glad I stuck to my guns and finally left him.  I got my life back.

• Like 4

"I got my life back." This Is The Day, that says it all.

My bleeding was not as heavy as you or Elise describe yours being. But there were many, many days that I could not leave the house, and all the time I was exhausted. My primary doc is great - a real advocate for quality of life for sandwich generation women - and he urged me to consult with the GYN. The ablation gave me a normal, regular cycle. I could manage that! And treating the anemia was successful once everything input into my system didn't flow right through.

Though I did return to regular cycles, my GYN says most of her Novasure patients cease altogether. Though we were done having kids, I really wanted to keep my "hormone factory" intact, so when I had the procedure (about 6 years ago), I did not want a hysterectomy and was glad for the alternative. Now I am starting to have closer together cycles, but I'm also a dozen years older than you, OP, so it's naturally time for funky cycles. I do not regret the ablation procedure.

I have heard some women say, like pippin above, that in hindsight, they would have gone straight for the hysterectomy. Perhaps more on the board here can share more insight about why they feel that way.

• Like 2

I want to cry thinking that this could go on for much longer. I can't imagine dealing with all of this for a year and a half.

I definitely want my iron levels checked soon to see if some of my symptoms are anemia related or just perimenopause symtpoms.

I am not opposed to a hysterectomy but I don't think I'm there quite yet. Have you had any negative side effects or has the experience been all positive?

Thanks for your input!

Elise in NC

I should clarify that the bleeding wasn't out of control heavy every day for that year and a half, but it wasn't uncommon to be bleeding for 3 out of 4 weeks a month and for a number of those days to be randomly heavy. BC helped some for awhile and the D&C helped. Unlike the above posters the ablation didn't help at all, and in fact two weeks later it was worst than ever.

No negative side effects from the hysterectomy for me. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

They did check my thyroid and it is normal. I had a uterine biopsy done approximately 8 years ago and then again last year. I've also had ovarian cysts but not severe.

What is concerning me is that this seems completely out of the blue. I've had heavy bleeding in the past but the longest period I've ever had was 14 days so to now be bleeding for 60 days straight is concerning.

I am done having children so no concerns there about an ablation or hysterectomy. Although several years ago after a D & C because of thickened endometrial lining my GYN said that an ablation may not help me because I have a large blood supply to my uterus. Yay me.

Thank you all!

Elise in NC

• Like 1

Since you have a large blood supply to your uterus, you might try taking 800 mg of motrin several days before and during your period. I have also taken 800 mg of motrin and double my progesterone as an emergency measure when I bleed very heavily. I take the motrin every six to eight hours. I have approval from my doctor to do so, so please check with your doctor before taking this combination of medications. The motrin shuts down the prostaglandins which contribute to heavy bleeding:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23440779

• Like 1

Since you have a large blood supply to your uterus, you might try taking 800 mg of motrin several days before and during your period. I have also taken 800 mg of motrin and double my progesterone as an emergency measure when I bleed very heavily. I take the motrin every six to eight hours. I have approval from my doctor to do so, so please check with your doctor before taking this combination of medications. The motrin shuts down the prostaglandins which contribute to heavy bleeding:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23440779

Interesting!  I had always thought of Motrin or ibuprofen as blood thinners and therefore thought they would increase menstrual bleeds.

I haven't had any trouble in over a year suddenly here I have a very heavy period right in the middle of moving!  UGH!!!!!!!  I can barely do anything. 

OP, I understand how you feel. I've had bleeds that lasted that long.  NO fun.

Anyone know, does caffeine make bleeding worse?

• Like 1