Menu

Why CLE math? Will you use through high school?

6packofun

Please share some strengths and weaknesses of this program.  Ds says Math Mammoth is too "boring looking" and he dreads pulling it out every day.  Beast Academy is appealing, but may be too difficult for him.  I need *GOOD* teaching *instruction* and at least somewhat interesting work pages.  LOL

(Also, I ask about high school because dd16 is struggling and needs to switch from TT.  :(  She needs way more explanation and practice and adding in Khan Academy is sort of a pain--"I can't tell if this is talking about the same concept as my book!"  SIGH)

(Also, I ask about high school because dd16 is struggling and needs to switch from TT.  :(  She needs way more explanation and practice and adding in Khan Academy is sort of a pain--"I can't tell if this is talking about the same concept as my book!"  SIGH)

I have questions about this part because I was thinking of using TT+KhanAcademy with a 16yo girl.

Is she using the CDs only or the hard copy book along with the CDs?

Are the lessons grouped by chapter?

Do the lessons not have titles?

KhanAcademy videos are titled pretty explicitly and ordered sequentially so this is a concern for me if TT isn't labeling and naming things appropriately.

My DS9 is very much enjoying CLE math. It has a "clean" look to it, which suits him much better than MM did. MM seemed to visually overwhelm him. The important thing to know before jumping to CLE is that it is spiral. It introduces something new briefly and then you continuously revisit it (as you are learning other topics). My son finds that the explanation for CLE is great.  He thrives on a spiral. In contrast, my niece hates spirals with a fiery passion. Fiery passion. She *needs* a mastery program. You'll want to understand if your son prefers spiral or mastery before going too far. You can always order one light unit and determine if it suits. 

I cannot comment on your daughter, as I don't have a child in high school. 

My DS9 is very much enjoying CLE math. It has a "clean" look to it, which suits him much better than MM did. MM seemed to visually overwhelm him. The important thing to know before jumping to CLE is that it is spiral. It introduces something new briefly and then you continuously revisit it (as you are learning other topics). My son finds that the explanation for CLE is great.  He thrives on a spiral.  

This is my DS as well. We have used levels 100-500 so far. Originally I had planned on switching over to Saxon once we get to Algebra because of the Teacher CDs. However, at this particular point in time, DS does not do well with instruction on the computer. So we may very well stick with CLE. Currently, for the upper levels, they only have Algebra 1 updated to the sunrise edition. So I guess we'll just see where they are with the upper levels when we get there.

Love CLE here, but it is not colorful.   Simple layout.  Easy to accelerate or slow down.  TM is helpful but not required since the Light Units are written to the student.  Unless something changes we are staying with CLE through Algebra I.  (DS will do CLE 700 and 800 in one year and a summer, if things go as planned since he wants to hit Algebra in 8th).  CLE is working to update Algebra II and Geometry but it will be at least a couple of years before those are revamped.

I use CLE and MM with different children and have used Beast in the past. CLE and MM have different teaching styles, but are equally boring, IMO. I wouldn't hop to CLE to relieve boredom. Beast is not boring and much more fun, but it's pricier. I wouldn't assume it is too difficult. My DD who struggles significantly with math did much better with Beast than MM. I only switched away because it was expensive and too slow moving to remediate with. I think if we'd used Beast from the beginning, which wasn't possible since it wasn't out, that she would have done better. Beast approaches math concepts  from a different angle than MM or CLE, but IMO it is not much more difficult. I was surprised by how easy it was compared to all the difficulty hype. 

We use Beast as a supplement, along with Khan Academy.  I find CLE is great for spiral review, simple layout, love the approach to math fact practice, but it can get dull.  Adding in Beast and Khan has been very helpful here.  We do other things, too, upon occasion, but those are the main ones.

FWIW, even though CLE can get dull, both kids have liked CLE waaaaay better than MM.  They just never clicked with that program, even though I think it is a good one.

I have questions about this part because I was thinking of using TT+KhanAcademy with a 16yo girl.

Is she using the CDs only or the hard copy book along with the CDs?

Are the lessons grouped by chapter?

Do the lessons not have titles?

KhanAcademy videos are titled pretty explicitly and ordered sequentially so this is a concern for me if TT isn't labeling and naming things appropriately.

I think this is a problem for dd specifically, not because lessons aren't being called the same thing.  She really struggles *whenever* a problem is DIFFERENT in any way from the practice given in TT.  She uses the book and goes to the CD for every missed problem. 

Btw, my other dd took the ACT after getting straight A's in TT math all the way up through first 2 units of pre-Calculus and got a mediocre math score.  She said she wants to study WAY more word problems before attempting the ACT again.  (You will hear reviews all over the map on TT, btw, so it's very difficult for me to say the program itself is weak...I think it's the combination of kid + program.)

MM layout killed us! CLE does an awesome job of the layout of their worktexts. Even when it appears that the lessons are longer, it's still easier for my children to do 4 CLE pages as opposed to 2 MM.

Most importantly, we love the traditional spiral, built in drills, flashcards, and review. We will stick with it as long as it is Sunrise.

Apparently Algebra 2 might be ready in 3-4 years!

• Like 3