Menu

Fabulae Caeciliae by RFWP

scrapbabe

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased it.  I saw Dr. Spielhagen speak at the RFWP conference a few years ago and liked her presentation.  I kept checking back as I was under the impression it was going to be published not long after that conference, but it was a longer wait than that.  I had to order some other books from RFWP, so I added in Dr. Spielhagen's materials once I realized they were available.  My kids are almost finished with GSWL, so we are going to use this as a supplement.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I did end up buying it and we just started it! Disclaimer, I am a Latin novice learning alongside (or behind!) my daughter, with little expertise in reviewing curriculum! Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer it.

I bought it to use with my 10 year old as a fun bridge between gswl and Henle.

I like the looks of it so far but you need the teacher book, the student book on its own doesn't look like much, but fleshed out with the teacher book lessons is quite good.

The idea, as far as I can grasp, is that the book is in 6 chapters. You read the chapter (10 ish pages) by using the picture clues and connections between the Latin words and English words in a discussion. Then you look at the translation (in the teacher book - there is info for working on vocab and making a notebook, as well as grammar and historical info). The teacher book then has a translation and notes for each student page.

After you've read the chapter there is a section in the teacher book for teaching the grammar and forms.

Then at the end of the teacher book there are charts for each chapter with vocabulary (eng&Latin) and derivatives.

The student book is literally just the narrative and a vocab list in the back.

So far we have only done a read through of the first chapter, using the method described in the teacher book. DD was able to figure out a good portion of the text due to picture cues, gswl and general latin roots, but there were some words that she wasn't able to directly translate which I am happy with, it meant that she had to think it through as per the method.

The story is about meeting Cecilia, and her showing us around ancient Rome. The pictures use a lot of actual ancient Roman paintings, sculptures, photos of ruins and tries to impart some history about ancient Roman life.

I don't think it's a rigourous course and I don't expect it will take any where near a full year, but it suits our objectives.

DD enjoyed it enough. Latin isn't her favourite subject and we've been pretty light with implementation thus far. So I'm happy with it at the moment.

:)

• Like 6

I have it but haven't used it yet.  I would say that it could go either way, but it would be slower and more work if you didn't have any Latin yet.  It is learning through immersion in the student book.  The teacher book - if you use it to prepare for the lesson beforehand - can make you look like you know Latin well and are knowledgeable about ancient Rome.  

It is short, but there is a lot of great information in the teacher's manual that fleshes it out.  

My plan is to use it with my kids after we finish SSL2, and I believe it will be a quick, easy thing at that point.  It will be fun for them and a way to build into using sentences.  

• Like 2