Menu

How to store yeast?? Yes, I really am *that* dumb about this. :*(

I just discovered that Costco has a great price on yeast but of course you have to buy a large quantity of it at a time. I am hoping to bake 1 loaf a day in a bread maker. I have no intention of starting to bake my own bread any other way at this time because I'm just too darn busy! (boy, I wish I could but that's another thread entirely) I have a few questions:

1. How long does yeast keep at room temperature or fridge?

2. Can I store the excess yeast in the freezer?

3. How long will it keep in the freezer?

4. Do I need to defrost it (ie: sit on counter) before putting it in the bread maker??

5. Can I defrost a bunch of yeast at a time and use over a period of a few weeks??

Yeesh. I'm clueless. Sumbuddy helllp me!:lol::lol:

I use the glass bottles of yeast (Fleischmann's brand) and they have an expiry date on them. I keep it in the fridge once it's opened as per instructions on the bottle. My current one (just opened a week or so ago) has an April 2010 expiry date on it, so it clearly lasts a long time.

Can't help you with the freezer question.

Janet

I use the glass bottles of yeast (Fleischmann's brand) and they have an expiry date on them. I keep it in the fridge once it's opened as per instructions on the bottle. My current one (just opened a week or so ago) has an April 2010 expiry date on it, so it clearly lasts a long time.

Janet

:iagree: Same here. I use the glass jars and refrigerate them. I usually use them up before the expiration date. I don't use the little packets anymore because I use more yeast than that. I stored those in the cupboard when I used them. I'm sure they have an expiration date too.

When I use the refrigerated yeast, I don't wait for it to come to room temp. If you want to do that, try measuring out what you need and put it in a small bowl so you can put the rest back in the fridge. And the part you measured out will come to room temp more quickly.

Costco has a great price on the big tin of Fleischmann's. It's atleast 2x the size of the glass bottles, but for the same price. I'm sure I can't use all the yeast up in that time!

Janet

:iagree: Same here. I use the glass jars and refrigerate them. I usually use them up before the expiration date. I don't use the little packets anymore because I use more yeast than that. I stored those in the cupboard when I used them. I'm sure they have an expiration date too.

When I use the refrigerated yeast, I don't wait for it to come to room temp. If you want to do that, try measuring out what you need and put it in a small bowl so you can put the rest back in the fridge. And the part you measured out will come to room temp more quickly.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I bought a 5 lb. bag of yeast 6 months ago. I keep it in the freezer. I have a smaller container in the refrigerator. When I bake, I use the yeast that is in the refrigerator. I don't bother to bring it to room temperature, and I have had no problem with it. When the refrigerator container is empty, I refill it from the one in the freezer.

I buy in bulk from Pleasant hill Grain and store the unopened ones in the freezer, then when I need a new bag I split it into 2 containers, put one back in the freezer and put the other in my pantry. I bake about 6 loaves of bread weekly and mix up 5lbs of pizza crust dough every 2 weeks or so. I've never had a problem with leaving my working yeast in the cabinet although there were times I didn't have enough in that container and chucked in some from the freezer with no problems at all.