Menu

Can you help with this education assignment?

SorrelZG

A friend has a rather ambiguous assignment and he called for DH's assistance, who turned to me, and I am turning to the Hive. lol

Friend has to critique three articles on education. So .. He needs articles on education. No further specifcs given.

English is his second language. The course is in English. In fact, I think it is part of an English degree (he is an English teacher and runs a small private school out of the city). Oh, and this is in Asia so I imagine we are looking for articles on education that are not U.S. specific.

Ideas?

I love Diane Ravitch's blog. She posts multiple times per day, links to other sources, and (as a former Assistant Secretary of Ed under George HW Bush) is more than competent. Her blog is anti-testing, against having schools run by big profit making corporations, and so on. Just so you know her perspective.

I check her site multiple times per day and always find interesting material.

ETA. I missed your last paragraph on first reading. A lot of the articles deal with U.S.

• Like 1

First things first, he needs to decide on a topic. Here's a list of Education Week's "top ten issues" in education (it is US-specific, but it is a jumping off point, and he can google from there). The topics may not be the "perfect" topics, but it's a start. Once he decides on a topic, then find articles. Your post doesn't mention whether he needs popular culture articles or journal articles. He should figure that out. Then, more researching to find the articles...

• Like 3

First things first, he needs to decide on a topic. Here's a list of Education Week's "top ten issues" in education (it is US-specific, but it is a jumping off point, and he can google from there). The topics may not be the "perfect" topics, but it's a start. Once he decides on a topic, then find articles. Your post doesn't mention whether he needs popular culture articles or journal articles. He should figure that out. Then, more researching to find the articles...

I just found out "Scholarly articles" — is that the same as journal articles?

Another UNESCO article that deal with Asia
"Higher Education in Asia: Expanding Out, Expanding Up"
http://www.uis.unesco.org/Library/Documents/higher-education-asia-graduate-university-research-2014-en.pdf

I think scholarly articles encompass dissertations, conference proceedings as well as journals. If in doubt tell your friend to clarify with the instructor as some has certain criteria.

• Like 1

I had to do this for one of my graduate education courses.  Your friend should search his school library's academic journal offerings (i.e., The Journal of Education, Journal of Special Education); pick out three articles and write on them.

• Like 1