Menu

Can we talk shirts too? Any favorite, flattering, everyday shirts?

Shellydon

A henley style with a nice fabric, is a pretty basic shirt that can work for a lot of people.   It is casual, but a step above a t-shirt.  It has an open neckline, so it can be worn with or without a bottom layer for varying degrees of modesty. it has a feminine cut, is loose at the bottom so it doesn't cling to a muffin top but has enough shape than a thin person doesn't get lost in the fabric, and can be untucked or tucked according to preference. 

http://www.express.com/clothing/mixed+fabric+henley+tee/pro/9713704/cat1540019

Similar cut but without the two tone sleeves: 

http://www.express.com/clothing/chiffon+pieced+two+pocket+shirt/pro/9712873/cat1680006?selectedColor=BRIGHT%20SALMON

http://www.express.com/clothing/crochet+lace+yoke+blouse/pro/9713688/cat1050012

I have this top in orange.  I bought it last year and am looking for additional colors this year (I see this black and white, and there is a print available for pre-order).  It is super comfy, cool and flattering.  I live in Atlanta, so "cool" is critical.  It is my favorite mom on the go top.  I don't wear it around the house much, as it gets in the way cooking (I am a messy cook), but I wear it a lot when I'm out running around.  It's a step above a tee on the dressy scale.  I usually wear it with a pair of black Nike golf shorts--no, I have never set foot on a golf course, but these are the best shorts EVER.  I own three pair because I am afraid they will be discontinued.  The fabric is silky, so a little dressier than cotton, but since it is not cotton, I can wear them loose without their stretching wildly out of shape.

Anyway, the point is that this is a top with some shape, that is a little bit fitted and cool, but is nicer than a tee. A hugely rare find in my book.  Also, I don't have to wear a camisole under it-- important for a southern summer.   

I have this top in orange.  I bought it last year and am looking for additional colors this year (I see this black and white, and there is a print available for pre-order).  It is super comfy, cool and flattering.  I live in Atlanta, so "cool" is critical.  It is my favorite mom on the go top.  I don't wear it around the house much, as it gets in the way cooking (I am a messy cook), but I wear it a lot when I'm out running around.  It's a step above a tee on the dressy scale.  I usually wear it with a pair of black Nike golf shorts--no, I have never set foot on a golf course, but these are the best shorts EVER.  I own three pair because I am afraid they will be discontinued.  The fabric is silky, so a little dressier than cotton, but since it is not cotton, I can wear them loose without their stretching wildly out of shape.

Anyway, the point is that this is a top with some shape, that is a little bit fitted and cool, but is nicer than a tee. A hugely rare find in my book.  Also, I don't have to wear a camisole under it-- important for a southern summer.   

I LOVE that shirt.

A henley style with a nice fabric, is a pretty basic shirt that can work for a lot of people.   It is casual, but a step above a t-shirt.  It has an open neckline, so it can be worn with or without a bottom layer for varying degrees of modesty. it has a feminine cut, is loose at the bottom so it doesn't cling to a muffin top but has enough shape than a thin person doesn't get lost in the fabric, and can be untucked or tucked according to preference. 

http://www.express.com/clothing/mixed+fabric+henley+tee/pro/9713704/cat1540019

Similar cut but without the two tone sleeves: 

http://www.express.com/clothing/chiffon+pieced+two+pocket+shirt/pro/9712873/cat1680006?selectedColor=BRIGHT%20SALMON

http://www.express.com/clothing/crochet+lace+yoke+blouse/pro/9713688/cat1050012

Thanks for the links!

What is your body type?  A flattering shirt on a petite size 2, will not  necessarily be the same as a buxom size 6, or a broad shouldered sized 8, or an apple shaped 10.

Yep.

For slim but still womanly figures, I really, really love the tops from the metropolitan museum of art. They're classy and extremely flattering.

• Like 1

Yep.

For slim but still womanly figures, I really, really love the tops from the metropolitan museum of art. They're classy and extremely flattering.

I would love links!

Those golf shorts just might be exactly what I have been looking for! I read something brilliant the other day about finding an outfit that works for you, buying a bunch and just wearing the same thing every day. This is my new goal in life. I want to find shorts/shirt combo that I can mix and match and wear 90 percent of the time in the summer. My days in the summer are mostly spent outdoors, taking the kids to swim, tennis, and golf, going to the park, bike riding, etc. We live too far north for my taste, so we really milk every minute we can of summer. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for me, I am all ears. I hate shopping and really need someone to just tell me what to wear!

Yes, these. I have the golden bamboo, the monet irises (I lost the water lilies one :(), the spring in central park, and a william morris pink and rose one that I don't see on their site anymore. I get compliments whenever I wear them.

Slim fit is quite slim so it is a good idea to size up and if you have even a small muffin top they are not flattering. Classic fit is looser and more forgiving.

• Like 1

I am currently on a quest to find or create the perfect tee-shirt pattern.  I made a tee shirt on Saturday afternoon w/ a new pattern and had to do some big alterations on it, and I'm still not 100% satisfied.  I have graded other patterns to try to get the perfect fit.  I am close.  One day, I will achieve this goal.  

I like to wear a plain tee with a skirt in summertime.  I haven't yet found a great place to just buy a nice plain tee shirt that looks good on me without alterations (b/c frankly, if I have to alter a tee-shirt, I might as well just be sewing it myself...they aren't hard).  If anyone knows of a perfect plain tee-shirt shop, hook us up!

I am currently on a quest to find or create the perfect tee-shirt pattern.  I made a tee shirt on Saturday afternoon w/ a new pattern and had to do some big alterations on it, and I'm still not 100% satisfied.  I have graded other patterns to try to get the perfect fit.  I am close.  One day, I will achieve this goal.  

I like to wear a plain tee with a skirt in summertime.  I haven't yet found a great place to just buy a nice plain tee shirt that looks good on me without alterations (b/c frankly, if I have to alter a tee-shirt, I might as well just be sewing it myself...they aren't hard).  If anyone knows of a perfect plain tee-shirt shop, hook us up!

http://rightsidewrongside.com/projects/update-very-easy-vogue-8390-wrap-shirt-take-two

• Like 1