Menu

7th Grade Science

I need some help with 7th grade science. DD 12 will do 7th in the fall. She is behind in math so I don't want anything math heavy for her (she'll be doing CLE 500s/600s for 7th).

She LOVES anatomy, dissection, pretty much all bio/life sciences. She's interested in pursuing a health care related career. She would be tickled pink to get a 'lab kit' to go with her course. She is fairly independent and self-motivated.

We have been using ACE for a few years for science, and their 7th grade is life science focused, but not hands on at all. We could always keep going with that, but I'm almost feeling like we should up our game for middle school. A Beka 7 seems life science based. Anything else to choose from?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

CHC does look interesting. I'm going to look into it further - how Catholic is it? Does anyone know how it presents evolution? We are YE non-denominational types. I appreciate all these suggestions, I'm juggling a few of them around mentally!

Do you have the Tiner books, Jess? I've been peeking at them as well.

I have a few of them, but not those particular titles.  Gotta build my library gradually. :)

You can take a peek at what I do have if you'd like.

• Like 1

I need some help with 7th grade science. DD 12 will do 7th in the fall. She is behind in math so I don't want anything math heavy for her (she'll be doing CLE 500s/600s for 7th).

She LOVES anatomy, dissection, pretty much all bio/life sciences. She's interested in pursuing a health care related career. She would be tickled pink to get a 'lab kit' to go with her course. She is fairly independent and self-motivated.

We have been using ACE for a few years for science, and their 7th grade is life science focused, but not hands on at all. We could always keep going with that, but I'm almost feeling like we should up our game for middle school. A Beka 7 seems life science based. Anything else to choose from?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I can tell you what we have planned for 7th grade.  It may be something your DD would be interested in because of the bolded.

We are letting our DD do interest-led science for the middle school years.  Because of her enjoyment of the Virology/Bacteriology study she did earlier this year, she's decided she would like to learn about medicinal plants and herbs next year.  I told her that would be fine, but we would need to study some Botany first.  Therefore I purchased Ellen McHenry's Botany in 8 Lessons.  I also got Quark Chronicles Botany to go with it.  I also have several medicinal plant and herb books, including medicinal plants of the Bible.  There are also several Kindle books that will be used as read-alones which I know DD will enjoy.

Each year, DD has to do a main summer project along with a summer reading list and math.  This summer she will be required to start an herb/medicinal plant garden.  She will be responsible for keeping the garden healthy and harvesting it.  We will dry some of the plants and press others for an informational notebook with scientific & common names, healing properties of the plant, dosages to be used, etc. 

When our studies begin in the fall, we will use our two books by Rosemary Gladstar: Medicinal Herbs and Herbal Remedies for Vibrant Health to make tinctures, teas, lotions, etc.  There are several suggested remedies for eczema (which DD has), peri-menopause (for me) and general ailments such as headaches, upset stomachs, cold symptoms, diarrhea, etc.  Once prepared, we will be guinea pigs and use them, keeping a detailed lab book with results.

If you think that this might be something your DD may find intriguing, you can PM me and I'll give you a list of the books we'll be using.

• Like 2

CHC holds a Theistic Evolution/Old Earth belief. However, when I asked if evolution was presented in the Life Science materials, I was told it was not included because there were so many other important topics to cover. Their 6th grade book does have discussion about the Big Bang (chapter 17, I think), but it is easily skipped or made into a discussion point.

The materials are beautiful and magnify the Creator. My daughter misplaced her book early in the year and we found it much later, so we are still working on Life Science and will be for a while. :)

Sure, I'd love to flip through them :). Do you had chemistry? Any would be great to peek at!

I have Chemistry, Planet Earth and Medicine.  We won't need Chemistry for next school year and oldest just finished it, so you are welcome to borrow.  Will bring them all for you to peruse.

• 2 weeks later...