Menu

LDS General Conference

maize

I'm so envious of all of you and your families watching today. My dh left the church about 11 years ago. For the first few he "tolerated" conference but has changed his mind and makes it almost impossible to watch with any Spirit. So I will watch it in the coming days while he's not home. (This makes him sound awful which he is not, sometimes I just get sad.)

On the other hand I know what I have to look forward to and am excited to watch and listen.

:grouphug:  :grouphug: I'm watching alone.  In my bedroom from my laptop with headphones in.  DH won't watch with me and gets anxious/agitated when he accidentally overhears something. It's related to his mental illness.  He stopped believing in God two years ago when he realized an idea he was fully vested in was an obsessive thought and not inspiration.  (He has since been diagnosed with severe OCD.)

What a blessing it is that the television is no longer the only way and the only time we can watch, yeah?

• Like 3

I'm so envious of all of you and your families watching today. My dh left the church about 11 years ago. For the first few he "tolerated" conference but has changed his mind and makes it almost impossible to watch with any Spirit. So I will watch it in the coming days while he's not home. (This makes him sound awful which he is not, sometimes I just get sad.)

On the other hand I know what I have to look forward to and am excited to watch and listen.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:grouphug: :grouphug: I'm watching alone. In my bedroom from my laptop with headphones in. DH won't watch with me and gets anxious/agitated when he accidentally overhears something. It's related to his mental illness. He stopped believing in God two years ago when he realized an idea he was fully vested in was an obsessive thought and not inspiration. (He has since been diagnosed with severe OCD.)

What a blessing it is that the television is no longer the only way and the only time we can watch, yeah?

I'm sorry Maus, mental illness can wreak havoc with faith.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to both of you with husbands with whom you cannot watch Conference.  (((HUGS)))

This Conference weekend was wonderful.  It was so awesome to spend 4 hours of my birthday at the (virtual) feet of these amazing men and women.  I can't wait to read some of these talks again.

Next year we're up to the modern history year in our history cycle.  I decided that instead of using a Discover the Scriptures product like I normally do for religion, I'm going to put together something using modern teachings.  Basically, we're going to discuss a quote or principal from conference every school day.  I'll pull from past conferences, but plan to use this one and the one in October for the bulk of our study.  I can't wait for the talks to be all published on lds.org in print form so I can go back through them and pull out what I want to use in school through November (October will take over in December and then we'll move to next April for the last month of next school year).  I love having kids getting older so I can do discussion like that with me.

One of the speakers this afternoon was talking about prayer and my 8 year old said he feels good when he prays but he usually forgets unless he is scared (he has some anxiety).  And then he asked if I would please put "pray" on his daily to do list in his school spiral notebook. :)

• Like 3

Wasn't it an amazing conference? 

President Uchtdorf's talk about grace was stunning, instructive and I'm positive it was meant specifically for me. :) I can't wait to watch it again, read it and study it. Elder Holland's talk was phenomenal, too. And Elder Nelson's about the Sabbath? Fantastic. 

And then there was the temple announcement. Wow! *tears* There were just so many special moments.  :thumbup:

• Like 3