Menu

Private Pilot's License - for me

Miss Marple

Any advice?  I've always wanted to fly...really want to fly helicopters, but may change my mind once I'm into it lol.

We live in an area that has a lot of "flight schools".  Our local community college offers a program.  How does one go about finding a good program? What should I be looking for?  

I did that in college through a club. The guy I took lessons from also worked for a Dr. who owned a multi-engine and a small helicopter so I was able to get some time in both of those. Starting single-engine is nice because you get comfortable with all the basics of flying, flight plans and radio for less per hour. Then helicopter can be a smaller (but more expensive) amount of time focused on getting the hang of the mechanics.

Know the requirements for the license, and then I would call around to compare costs, probably try to interview instructors since you will have to coordinate with them a lot and spend a lot of time with them, check out limitations on flight times (can you reserve the plane whenever you want or is it shared with a lot of other people, etc.). I learned at a tiny airstrip with no tower, so having to communicate with people on the radio was always a bit uncomfortable for me (lack of practice), but on the plus side, I usually only had to share airspace with the daredevil guy who flew parachuters.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of stuff that you have to do before you fly - every time. Definitely different than driving.

Give it a go! You won't regret it, even if you don't finish for some reason.

• Like 1

Definitely give it a go. You won't regret it, even if you don't finish for some reason. 

Thanks, Susan.  This is how I feel, too.  For so many years I've worked to fulfill others' dreams/potentials/etc. and now that the boys are all grown up (sorta) I want to do something for myself.  And since I was a little girl, I have always wanted to fly.  But it's surprising how many people are telling me about recent crashes, their buddy had a friend who died in a crash, etc.  I want to get the ground school stuff done at the very least...that isn't dangerous lol.  Then I'll reassess.

I have no advice on finding a good program. Just wanted to come here to say--Do it! You'll always wonder if you don't. My mil had taken a few flying lessons when dh did (when he was a teen). She was unable to continue and still, decades later, wishes she had been able to.

And don't listen to the naysayers. Are these people also discouraging you from driving? I mean, how many of us know someone who died in a terrible car crash? I don't mean to be flippant. I've had friends who died in plane crashes; I'm aware of the risks. And I still say it's *your* dream, not theirs. Go for it!

Good advice above.  Is there an Aeroclub in your area?  They sometimes have cheaper rent for flying time.  

Or, look for a private instructor with his own teaching plane -- an older CFI who is doing it because he/she loves it (not because he's trying to build hours for his own advanced certification) would be my first choice.  Ask how many students they have taught, and what type of students.  Some instructors aren't at all patient with women students, and you want to get a feel for whether their teaching style meshes with your personality.

Other than that, my main advice would be save your money and have it put away for the purpose.  The number one reason folks don't finish their flight training is that they run out of money, then too much time passes before they're able to get enough to finish, and they quit.  You want to make sure you have the funds so that you don't have to break your momentum in the middle of your training.  When you're researching, find out how much the plane rental is per hour, as well as the flight instructor rate per hour.   It generally takes about 40 hours of flight time to get your license. (That's a ballpark figure.  A lot depends on you and the type of aircraft your learning in).  When I got my license 20+ years ago, the going rate was about $4000.  It's probably doubled since then.

Also, don't base your decision on the number of crashes you hear about.  Keep in mind that *every* plane crash that happens gets reported.  It's WAY more dangerous to drive down the highway than it is to fly.  And with flying, you have more control of your circumstances.  The reason most crashes happen is that the pilot allows their "need" to get somewhere override his better judgement (a disease called "Get-there-itis").  As long as you're always willing to wait for better conditions, or to turn around when conditions deteriorate, you'll keep yourself and your passengers safe.   

Just in case you haven't googled,

http://www.aopa.org/letsgoflying/ready/choose/howto.html

http://www.pilottricks.com/how-to-choose-a-flight-instructor/

http://www.flyingmag.com/training/learn-fly/flight-school-finding-right-instructor

http://www.flyingmag.com/training/learn-fly/flight-school-finding-right-instructor

I read somewhere on the 'Net (back when ds started flying) to be wary of CFIs that didn't believe in simulators (in addition to flight time, not instead of) but I can't find that article.   The gist of it was that the 40 required hours was bare minimum, most people take longer and if you don't use a simulator, you could take a lot longer.  Yes, flying the real thing is better but since simulators have gotten so much cheaper, is flying the real thing for an  hour better than flying the simulator for a 100 hours?  Especially if you buy one and hook it up to your PC and have it always available.

When dd did ground school, there were 10 people but she was the only one to take the written test promptly.  Two years later, none of the others have and now they probably won't