Menu

Is this what happens when homeschoolers skip the community helpers unit

lollie010

Yesterday, I had a few minutes alone with DS6yo. Our conversations are always fascinating so I innocently tossed out the "what kind of work do you want to do to provide for your family when you grow up" question. His response, with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes was "I think I'm a little young to be making such big decisions. I have a lot to learn about myself and the universe before I could even make a guess. Ask me again when I'm in first grade!" I love these kids-never a simple answer. He could have just thrown out a simple "firefighter" or "police officer."😃

• Like 34

Love it!

We've happily skipped the whole "community helpers" topic because, you know, we just live in the community.

But this has left my 2nd grader unbiased and directionless.  He's already told us he'll be living with us forever unless we help him buy a house because he doesn't know what to do, and he's terrible at keeping tabs on his money.  (It's true.  He loses his little ziplock baggie of coins all. the. time.)

• Like 9

Love it!

We've happily skipped the whole "community helpers" topic because, you know, we just live in the community.

But this has left my 2nd grader unbiased and directionless. He's already told us he'll be living with us forever unless we help him buy a house because he doesn't know what to do, and he's terrible at keeping tabs on his money. (It's true. He loses his little ziplock baggie of coins all. the. time.)

I guess we've ruined these poor little ones. 😃 Maybe I better look for a remedial course to do over the summer!

• Like 1

My 7yo son wants to be a stay-at-home-parent when he grows up. His plan B is kindergarten teacher, plan C: 1st grade teacher, etc. If things really don't work out for him I guess he'll be mentoring PhD candidates.

My 4yo son wants to be a nurse. His plan B is doctor. Probably not a very useful plan B (if nurse doesn't work out, doctor will?), but w/e.

These questions are mostly just for fun at this age, and I would let him know. On the bright side, he will have a lot more life experience and wisdom in 1st grade than in K though... that one year of difference really has a lot of impact at that age. :)

• Like 6

Yesterday, I had a few minutes alone with DS6yo. Our conversations are always fascinating so I innocently tossed out the "what kind of work do you want to do to provide for your family when you grow up" question. His response, with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes was "I think I'm a little young to be making such big decisions. I have a lot to learn about myself and the universe before I could even make a guess. Ask me again when I'm in first grade!" I love these kids-never a simple answer. He could have just thrown out a simple "firefighter" or "police officer."😃

I love it!

• Like 1

Love it!

But this has left my 2nd grader unbiased and directionless. He's already told us he'll be living with us forever unless we help him buy a house because he doesn't know what to do, and he's terrible at keeping tabs on his money. (It's true. He loses his little ziplock baggie of coins all. the. time.)

When DS15 was young (maybe 7 or 8) he would express anxiety about one day having a driver's license. He kept saying, "I don't know how you remember how to get to all these places!" I repeatedly assurred him that he would know by then; that he would understand how the different roads were connected and would learn. (Believe me, kiddo. If *I* can learn the roads, you certainly can. I have NO sense of direction at all!)

• Like 2