Menu

Are increasingly annoying braxton hicks a good sign?

Please say yes! I'm finishing week 38, and they're increasing in number and intensity. Annoying would definitely be the word I'd put to them. When they start getting to that level, does that mean we're getting close, or could there still be a long way to go? I'm just surprised, because I don't remember them being like this with dd. I'm drinking plenty of water, so it's not that. And I'm getting down the RRL tea, just very small, very dilute quantities. Any thoughts? If you want to say it means I'm going next Monday, that will be fine. :)

Well, my Braxton Hicks were actually worse than the majority of my labors and I had them from fairly early on with the last several.......months.

If it is possible they are the real thing, lying down on your left side shouldn't cause them to stop. (hmmmm.......left side, right side....now I'm not sure. I'm thinking left though!! Think I would know that by now, wouldn't you!!)

((((Hugs)))))) those last weeks are the worst b/c of the anticipation!

Please say yes! I'm finishing week 38, and they're increasing in number and intensity. Annoying would definitely be the word I'd put to them. When they start getting to that level, does that mean we're getting close, or could there still be a long way to go? I'm just surprised, because I don't remember them being like this with dd. I'm drinking plenty of water, so it's not that. And I'm getting down the RRL tea, just very small, very dilute quantities. Any thoughts? If you want to say it means I'm going next Monday, that will be fine. :)

I get these with every baby, right at the end. I agree, they are really annoying. Everyone is different though, and if you didn't experience them before, it could very well mean that your little one will be here soon. :)

Again, wrong person to ask :D I can't tell the difference between BH and the real deal... until it's too late:tongue_smilie:

With #4, I went in thinking I was in labor 3x.

An internal exam could tell you if anything is happening (effacing/dialation), but other than that, my BH at 38 wks would come as regular as you please, with intensification, and would stay that way for hours.

But, every one is different. Maybe baby is ready NOW.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

The last few weeks of that pregnancy, I had so many B-H contractions, and I was dialating, so some real contractions, too, but they all felt the same. I didn't even know I was in labor until I was in transition because the ctx were just like all the B-H ctx I that had for weeks! It was totally wild for me because my other three labors were not like that--they were very painful from the first contraction.

Hoping you have a babe in arms soon!

Well, my Braxton Hicks were actually worse than the majority of my labors...

:iagree: That's how it was for me as well! I started getting BH the last couple of weeks, in fact 38/39/40 just as you are, Elizabeth. Then they tapered off leaving me in much anticipation as well, but thankfully my water broke in week 40/41. I then had short and weak labor pains until I had to be given potocin to make my labor pains strong enough give birth to our miracle baby (otherwise it was a natural and unmedicated birth).

I am sooo excited for you! :001_smile:

Melissa

Well, my Braxton Hicks were actually worse than the majority of my labors and I had them from fairly early on with the last several.......months.

If it is possible they are the real thing, lying down on your left side shouldn't cause them to stop. (hmmmm.......left side, right side....now I'm not sure. I'm thinking left though!! Think I would know that by now, wouldn't you!!)

I was surprised that I started having some Braxton Hicks around week 20 of this pregnancy (my 4th). They're not uncomfortable at all, other than I can't bend over to do anything during one cause my stomach becomes a bowling ball all of a sudden with NO give! With 4 months to go I wonder how much they'll increase starting this early.

They were no big deal, I just had them all the time for the last 4 months of all 3 of my pregnancies. However, with my last pregnancy, they increased and then stopped and repeated this pattern for weeks before I was finally induced. It was *very* annoying and difficult to know when it was labor and not. Sometimes they would be painful and frequent for *hours* and I'd think "this is it". So I would go to bed, have them throughout the night and then by morning...nothing. Just completely gone as fast as they came.

But for you? I'm *sure* it means you'll be in labor any minute, if you aren't already! ;)

I think B-H are underrated. They can dilate you and then you are suddnly in real labor, so don't underestimate them. This is coming from a B-H Veteran, but I have a lot of respect for them still since I *know* tha contractions are just that, contractions, and anythng could theoretically cause dilation.

Usually with more pregnancies you get more B-H's which is why Ob's get concernec with pre-term labor. I had B-H from months 2-3 with my last two pregnancies (one twin and last singleton), but I always respected them (sort of!) and took the threat seriously. I had them sometimes for hours, while resting and drinking even. So please, jami, be careful, and to Elizabeth, keep on moving, gal, and good luck at this point in the game!

I think B-H are underrated. They can dilate you and then you are suddnly in real labor, so don't underestimate them. This is coming from a B-H Veteran, but I have a lot of respect for them still since I *know* tha contractions are just that, contractions, and anythng could theoretically cause dilation.

Usually with more pregnancies you get more B-H's which is why Ob's get concernec with pre-term labor. I had B-H from months 2-3 with my last two pregnancies (one twin and last singleton), but I always respected them (sort of!) and took the threat seriously. I had them sometimes for hours, while resting and drinking even. So please, jami, be careful, and to Elizabeth, keep on moving, gal, and good luck at this point in the game!

Thank you for your concern and advice, Nadia. I didn't have a chance to talk about it with my midwife at my recent ultrasound, so I'll shoot her an email tomorrow to make sure she knows and see what she advises. It did surprise me to feel them starting a few weeks ago, they're high and not painful at all, but definitely some sort of *tightening* taking place. I'll make sure she's aware and we're watching them. I do think drinking enough seems to help and I'm not great about that. Resting, on the other hand, I'm a pro at!

Thanks again,

Jami

It is scary how water has changed my life. Seriously, please drink water. If I ever skimped on water (especially if I did not drink two glasses during sleeping at night) I'd be inundated with contractions. Now, when nursing I finally realised (baby #7!) that my previous dizziness/near blackouts were due to lack of water.

So drink water. I even know now that H2O reduces pregnancy swelling, contrary to what you'd think!

I was surprised that I started having some Braxton Hicks around week 20 of this pregnancy (my 4th). They're not uncomfortable at all, other than I can't bend over to do anything during one cause my stomach becomes a bowling ball all of a sudden with NO give! With 4 months to go I wonder how much they'll increase starting this early.

This was my experience too, with both my pregnancies. They start as just tightening, and slowly increase over the months until they're quite uncomfortable by the end! Unfortunately, they were never any indicator of labor for me. Either way, though, the end is in sight for you, hooray!