Menu

Where should I move? (Does this place exist?)

Greta

Or as I was told, "Sure we have summer in Vermont. Last year it was on a Wednesday."

The main difficulty is seeing people's reaction when you tell them, at the end of this cold, snowy winter, we're heading north for vacation! Most people around here are so sick of winter and find it crazy to head back into it. And truly...it's not really my cuppa, but my kids and DH are happy to get in one last ski and I get hours of uninterrupted writing and reading time in the mostly-empty lodge. Win-win!

Quill, are you going to Stowe?  If so, you could visit the Trapp Family Lodge.  The original burned down, but I've heard that they rebuilt similarly.  I have only seen the original, and it was charming.  Maria Von Trapp happened to come out to the coffee shop while I was there, and I got to meet her--so cool!

My husband LOVES to ski. So for his sake, a lot.

I love the beauty of the desert, most especially the big open sky and beautiful sunsets. But I miss having a real winter. It snows two inches here and I'm giddy. A few hours later, it has melted, and that was it for the winter. (I'm exaggerating slightly, but not by much!).

Bozeman, MT?

• Like 1

For PA, I'd pick Philadelphia over Pittsburgh a million times over!

Pittsburgh's cost of living is lower and the city itself is beautiful because of the hills. Philly is flat and will never match those vistas in fall, except for Fairmount park and the boathouses. Cultural amenities and sports wise they're very similar. Philly's got the shore, Pittsburgh's got the Laurel Highlands. That's a toss up depending on your preferences. Pittsburgh's got a lot to offer for a smaller city, but Philly's on the main Amtrak line so getting to NYC or Washington is easy.

When I went to Penn, I was astounded how often Philadelphians forgot there was another major city in the state. I really like both cities, but for retirement I'd pick Pittsburgh for the COL difference.

Pittsburgh, PA

1. Great museums - Carnegie Museums - Science, History, Art, Sports, Heinz History Center

2. Great culture - Pittsburgh Ballet, Pittsburgh Symphony, Civil Light Opera (broadway plays), real Opera, etc.  The head of the Pittsburgh Ballet once told me that Pittsburgers attend more cultural events than sports.

3. Sports - Steelers, Pirates, Penguins (and some arena football team???)

4. Colleges - Penn State, University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, Robert Morris, Carlow, California University  (PA), Point Park, St. Vincent, Seton Hill, and others I can't think of.

5. Top Hospitals in the country (and med schools)

6. Skiing within an hour drive

7. Hiking - always with its hills and parks

8. Historical places - From the French-Indian war to the Civil War

9. Fall colors!

And the best homeschool law in the country, since the changes in 2014. (sorry creekland, and you just retired too.) :-)

• Like 2

Sacramento, CA.

You said SFO was a no-go but SAC is a lot lower COL. Crime rate is nowhere near other major metro areas in CA.

Your dh would have all of Tahoe's backcountry for skiing (about 1.5 -2 hrs driving), you would get a lot of sunshine and you all would be in a metro area with museums and Sacramento State University and UC Davis just to mention the two main ones. AND, you would be about 2 - 2.5 hrs from the awesome Pacific...

• Like 2