Menu

Favorite Spanish for bilingual lifestyle :)

Slache

Bumping. I give up on finding a curric. I have a big stack of simple Spanish picture books I got from the Scholastic Teacher store, DuoLingo, and some ability to travel. We're going to just go with this and see what happens.

We do have one book and CD from José-Luis Orozco and I may buy some more. I'd like to know of other resources for at-home, lots-of-exposure options suitable for children.

• Like 1

I like Fonseca, Juanes, Marc Anthony, Mana, Carlos Vives, Jorge Celadon, Shakira, Olga Tanon, Celia Cruz, Salsa Brava, Juan Luis Guerra, Calle 13...I'll even cop to liking Daddy Yankee and Don Omar on occasion.

If you enter those in Pandora you'll discover more.

The best Spanish language newspaper for an American is El Pais Americas, imho, because of its broad coverage. Each country has one or two major national papers too.

Every parish here has at least one Spanish mass, but this Texas and that might not hold true everywhere.

If you get Univision or Telemundo, they have a full line up, but again you may or may not have them.

Most classic kids books have Spanish versions. My library's got tons of them. Kids in Latin America read these books too.

Youtube has lots of Plaza Sesamo and Juana la Iguana videos.

• Like 2

I've never thought of a Spanish newspaper before. That's a great idea! We watch lots of El Mickey around here. I know that Paul Washer preaches in Spanish and it's available on Sermon Audio. I look forward to my new Pandora station.  :D

My favorite singer/band is Juan Luis Guerra/440. They are from the Dominican Republic. I first saw them perform in my hotel on Margarita Island, in Venezuela in June 1991. They are very nice people.   My wife, a week or two ago, was telling DD about how I would "dance" with her, to songs sung by Juan Luis Guerra, when she was a baby, to put her to sleep.

We are not into Rock, but we have a lot of admiration for Shakira. She is the complete package. Very hard worker and multi talents.   About 12 years ago, I was astonished when I read that she audited a course at UCLA and nobody in the class or her teacher knew she was an internationally known superstar.

I was shocked, when Selena was murdered.  I really enjoyed her music and she was from Corpus Christi, a city I had contemplated moving to.

Music-wise, I'd recommend starting a Shakira or Juanes station on Pandora and see what you like from there.  I heart Shakira, Juanes, Juan Luis Guerra, Carlos Vives and Mana. 

Are you a Spanish learner, or you're fluent and wanting to get your people there?  Does your public library have a good selection of Spanish language materials?  Mine has a wealth of children's (and adult!) books as well as some movies and audio books available, which is super.

• Like 1

My favorite singer/band is Juan Luis Guerra/440. They are from the Dominican Republic. I first saw them perform in my hotel on Margarita Island, in Venezuela in June 1991. They are very nice people.   My wife, a week or two ago, was telling DD about how I would "dance" with her, to songs sung by Juan Luis Guerra, when she was a baby, to put her to sleep.

We are not into Rock, but we have a lot of admiration for Shakira. She is the complete package. Very hard worker and multi talents.   About 12 years ago, I was astonished when I read that she audited a course at UCLA and nobody in the class or her teacher knew she was an internationally known superstar.

I was shocked, when Selena was murdered.  I really enjoyed her music and she was from Corpus Christi, a city I had contemplated moving to.

I was very young when this happened, but I was too. It really stuck with me.

Music-wise, I'd recommend starting a Shakira or Juanes station on Pandora and see what you like from there.  I heart Shakira, Juanes, Juan Luis Guerra, Carlos Vives and Mana. 

Are you a Spanish learner, or you're fluent and wanting to get your people there?  Does your public library have a good selection of Spanish language materials?  Mine has a wealth of children's (and adult!) books as well as some movies and audio books available, which is super.

Once upon a time I was proficient. Then I moved to Ohio. I'm working on getting it back and trying to raise my kids with a better familiarity with the language than I had. We do use out library to exhaustion. :)

Ooh, I'd also like to ask whether there's a particular dialect or accent you're interested in acquiring or imparting?  That could definitely affect which media you choose.

Espanol, but I'm not picky.

Ooh, I'd also like to ask whether there's a particular dialect or accent you're interested in acquiring or imparting? That could definitely affect which media you choose.

As a tag-along in this post, I don't have any particular accent or dialect in mind. DD and I are learning Spanish together and, from previous posts, seem to be in a similar boat to Slache - a kid who has already acquired the beginner knowledge covered in introductory materials but not yet ready/old enough for more complex curriculum. I want both DD and I to be able to comfortably travel in Spanish-speaking countries in general. We just returned from four weeks of immersion in Guatemala and are looking at maybe a month in Honduras next winter. Not much chance to practice our Spanish here in Indiana in the meantime.

As a tag-along in this post, I don't have any particular accent or dialect in mind. DD and I are learning Spanish together and, from previous posts, seem to be in a similar boat to Slache - a kid who has already acquired the beginner knowledge covered in introductory materials but not yet ready/old enough for more complex curriculum. I want both DD and I to be able to comfortably travel in Spanish-speaking countries in general. We just returned from four weeks of immersion in Guatemala and are looking at maybe a month in Honduras next winter. Not much chance to practice our Spanish here in Indiana in the meantime.

What have you done as an adult in your Spanish studies?

What have you done as an adult in your Spanish studies?

I took one class at the community college, but that was a while ago. Another one never seems to fit into the schedule. I'm a good bit of the way through DuoLingo, and that has been my primary learning tool for a while now. other than that, I've learned from Salsa and Spanish picture books just like DD.

The immersion trip was the biggest jump. Three weeks in a homestay and taking 20 hours/week of Spanish classes, practicing around the kitchen table at meals, shopping in stores and eating in restaurants where no one spoke English. That part of the trip for my DD and I cost, not including the airfare, what 40 hours of a private tutor would cost at home, and with all the extra practice I made a lot of progress. (We had already planned the trip to Belize, so the airfare was being spent anyway and I don't count it.) I'm already tentatively planning another similar language school/homestay program for next year, and I mostly hope to maintain the level I currently am at until then.

I took one class at the community college, but that was a while ago. Another one never seems to fit into the schedule. I'm a good bit of the way through DuoLingo, and that has been my primary learning tool for a while now. other than that, I've learned from Salsa and Spanish picture books just like DD.

The immersion trip was the biggest jump. Three weeks in a homestay and taking 20 hours/week of Spanish classes, practicing around the kitchen table at meals, shopping in stores and eating in restaurants where no one spoke English. That part of the trip for my DD and I cost, not including the airfare, what 40 hours of a private tutor would cost at home, and with all the extra practice I made a lot of progress. (We had already planned the trip to Belize, so the airfare was being spent anyway and I don't count it.) I'm already tentatively planning another similar language school/homestay program for next year, and I mostly hope to maintain the level I currently am at until then.

What program did you do?

What program did you do?

For the immersion trip? I went to Cooperativa in San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala. They arranged the homestay. Because DD is young for their classes (4.5 yo), they arranged for her to spend my class time at a nearby preschool. My classes were one-on-one and tailored for me, which was perfect.

I'm looking at a couple of schools in Honduras for a similar trip next year, maybe in Copan Ruinas and La Ceiba.