Menu

Kids outgrowing Easter. :(

Night Elf

When I was little, my mom filled our baskets with awesome stuff, mostly Easter candy. Always a stuffed animal. Sometimes an outfit, like tshirt/shorts. When my kids were little, I filled baskets like that and they were always happy to get them, but really they could take them or leave them. Our tradition ended up with each kid getting one hollow chocolate bunny, one called the Grand Bunny because it's big. This year, dd17 doesn't want it, she wants something much smaller. And dd22 doesn't want any candy because she's on a health kick. And ds18 is looking forward to his bunny so I bought it already. I just find it weird that my kids are so different from me! I want a huge basket with lots of goodies! They are indifferent to Christmas as well. Whose kids are these?!

I don't like candy and chocolates, but I can think of plenty of other things I'd like in a basket.  So I think if you want to put together a basket put stuff in it that they would want and I'm sure they'd like it.

Growing up I'm convinced my mother filled the baskets with stuff she wanted because I never ate any of it. She ate it.  Hehe..

I have one who doesn't like sweets either, but he likes stuff such as beef jerky, pistachios, chips, etc.  So I put that in there.

I am not a fan of Easter baskets, though I liked them as a kid too.

Last year, since my then-7yos had recently learned that Santa and the Bunny and all the others were fake, I gave them a budget and let them buy the stuff for the baskets, and each put together and hid the other kid's basket.

This year I haven't given it any thought at all, but I'll probably do similar (but with a smaller budget).

Candy is problematic here, so that could be my issue.

I was so happy when dd got past the Easter egg phase. No more dying eggs, no more hiding eggs.  :hurray:

Now she does like candy and insists on us buying candy for Valentines, Easter etc.  So I just buy candy and put it in a candy bowl or in the fridge and the whole family can eat it if they want. 

This dd does love Christmas though. I am the same way, so she may have picked it up from me. I have always been less enthusiastic about Easter and enjoyed Christmas more.

When our oldest girls were teens their younger sister was a toddler...  The 'big' girls had outgrown Easter baskets and Easter egg hunts with lots of candy.  So we switched it up and now it is our family tradition:

1) no Easter baskets-- each girl gets a small chocolate gift

2) About 2 dozen Easter eggs are stuffed with DH's spare change from the previous year.  Usually around $20.  There are 3 $5 eggs hidden and each girl can only find one of those.

3) There are 2 x-large eggs hidden.  One for me and one for DH.  The girls stuff mine with chocolate tea (the drink!) instead of candies and DH gets Kit-Kat bars (his favorite).  Some years they toss in gift cards for a date night.

Our big girls are 24 and 22 and still plan on coming over for Easter (the oldest wants to stock up on quarters so she can wash her car!).  Youngest is 13 and is looking forward to some pocket change.

• Like 2

I am actually looking forward to a simple Easter for the first time.  DD8 is going with her bio-dads so I am not going to do an egg hunt for the first time in 19 years.  

DD16 already picked out a new purse for her present and she is getting a new Starbucks travel mug she asked for.

DS20 is getting a couple of movies that he collects. 

DD8 is likely getting a new bike, and just a few pieces of candy in what would be her Easter Basket.

That is it.  Nice, easy, and simple!  Love it!

I am sure there will be a tinge of missing the old days once it comes around, but for now....I am breathing a sigh of relief.