Menu

Magnatiles vs Magformers?

kesmom

We have both and I say Magnatiles hands down.  Admittedly, the Magformers set we have is smaller and so not as much can be built with it, but when they do build with it they quickly lose interest.  We got Magnatiles for my 2 year old for Christmas this year based off a recommendation on this board, and ever since then there has not been one.single.day. that they have not been played with by somebody in this house (usually several somebodies).  Definitely a winner!!!!

I see both of these mentioned a lot and am wondering if there are any major advantages to either one. I am considering a set for when younger son turns 5, but I'm sure all the kids would end up playing with them. :-)

We have both Magnatiles and Magformers.

(We were given Magformers (several sets) when my son was younger; we wanted Magnatiles but I hesitated to buy the other already having investment in one. And then a different aunt gave Magnatiles to my daughter so we have both!)

Both are useful. The Magnatiles are used in more creative ways (IMHO). To build houses and railroad cars, etc. They put cars and their animals inside the structures they build.

The Magformers are used to build more abstract designs. My son spends a LOT of time with a few Magformers, finding all the ways they fit together to make stable geometric designs. but they don't branch out and put a story with it or combine them with other toys like they do the Magnatiles.  (And my daughter doesn't really like them at all. She played with magformers when that was all we had -- and she was an infant to 2 years old... Or at least put them in her mouth and was drawn to moving them around the carpet, until they came too close and pulled together more, etc)  The Magformers seem to have a stronger connection. So harder to pull apart, etc.  Which may be one reason my daughter prefers the Magnatiles.

DO make sure you get some wheels with your Magnatiles. They get used a LOT.

I also bought the Playmags to go with our MAgnatiles but when one broke early, got rid of them and will do Magnatiles only now.