Menu

Overview of Math Different Curriculum Needed

Hello everyone! I'm a research-aholic. I tend to research different home school curriculum until I'm blue in the face. It's addicting for me.

That being said, I'm starting to look into different math programs. My oldest is just 4, so I'm starting at the beginning. We started on Math U See, but I feel like it's not for us. He gets bored by the repetition (build, color, write, build, color, write...). I thought I wanted Singapore, but now I'm realizing many on this forum use other programs that I haven't looked into. Things like Right Start and Making Math Meaningful.

So, can anyone give me an overview of the different programs? I will still do my own research, but I find reviews from others to be very helpful! As for us... my husband and I both have an engineering degree, and so I don't feel intimidated at the subject of math. I LOVE math! I don't know how this will effect my decision, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Hi, welcome.

Some initial thoughts:

Think about where you want to be at the end of a certain phase and work backwards from there to figure out what you want from an elementary math education. How comfortable at modifying a program/ignoring the manual and just teaching a program your way are you? Knowing a subject and teaching the subject are vastly different so think about what/when what you know may not be enough to teach.

Also, for research I HIGHLY suggest that you start here. Do NOT do your initial research on this board--you will go insane with Acrynyms and varying opinions. Read through the Cathy Duffy reviews first--they are pretty unbiased, I think. Or at least they don't carry a WTM or Hive bias. It will fulfill your need to read up on and research curriculum initially, but then pare down to the curriculums you think you can use and that might work, then read through the archives about those particular programs here to glean others experiences and feed back.

Then when you have more questions, begin asking specific questions about those programs and how they will serve you and your particular student with X particular strenght and Y as a weakness.

• Like 5

Sarah,

I'm an engineer married to an engineer too. Last year when I was ready to start something formal with my daughter (we'd been doing math worksheets from Abeka and it didn't work) I went to our local homeschool convention. I'm fortunate to have a big one pretty close to me! I was able to get my hands on Saxon, Miquon, Math-u-See, Singapore, a couple oddballs, and RightStart. I hadn't really known about RightStart before the convention. My husband zeroed in on their booth because of the "math balance" they had on display - he thought it was awesome. I liked how it had fewer manipulatives than Math-u-See but more than some other programs. I came home, did a little more research, read samples from RightStart and a few others, and ended up going with RS B. We flew through that and are in C now.

I'm not saying all that to promote RightStart actually though I love the program, but to urge you to get to a convention if it's at all possible. There's nothing like being able to look at everything! But you could get overwhelmed, so make a list ahead of time of what programs to look at and a list of questions for yourself to consider: how many manipulatives are there, what's the theory behind it, how much written work, what sort of practice does it offer.

• Like 1

Also, for research I HIGHLY suggest that you start here. Do NOT do your initial research on this board--you will go insane with Acrynyms and varying opinions. Read through the Cathy Duffy reviews first--they are pretty unbiased, I think. Or at least they don't carry a WTM or Hive bias. It will fulfill your need to read up on and research curriculum initially, but then pare down to the curriculums you think you can use and that might work, then read through the archives about those particular programs here to glean others experiences and feed back.

This is great advice for a starting place for getting familiar with the different options out there. Make sure you keep firmly in the back of your mind that there are many excellent curricula, but there is no one perfect curriculum. The amount of effort and energy you put into teaching well will likely matter more in the long run than the specific curriculum you use. And if you decide that a particular curriculum isn't meeting your needs anymore, you can always switch. (I have, twice!) 

I'm currently working on a series of reviews on my blog that give thorough overviews of several excellent programs. So far, I've reviewed Singapore and RightStart, and Math Mammoth will be coming in the next few days. 

• Like 3

Ok - here is my attempt at telling you a bit about RightStart (Edition 1) along with a few notes about Edition 2 that would be here-say.

RightStart math is fully scripted (with all answers right there for you in the Teacher's Guide) so it makes it fairly open-and-go for me.  Level A and B does have a few things to prepare at times in the Appendicies or occasionally you need to cut some squares/etc. out of construction paper - but I didn't find it to be too much prep-work.  (I also bought the Appendix package so it was pre-copied for me)

It has a fair number of manipulatives, which makes it a bit more expensive.  Edition 1 does use them - but some of the manipulatives aren't used that often in the actual lessons (math balance, the geometric solids, for example.)  Edition 2 supposedly uses them more.  The abacus and Tiles are the most used in all the levels we have done (A through D so far).

The math itself really brings out the Base 10 system (Place Value) well.  It also has the students thinking in terms of 5.... So they can learn to do the math by manipulating the numbers.  So they can, for example, add 8 and 7 by knowing that 8 is 5+3 and 7 is 5+2 - group the 2 fives, and add the 3+2 and you get 10+5 is 15.  Of course that sounds convoluted typing it all out - but it is done very quickly in their head and is very visable on the abacus.  The abacus is total genius in my opinion, btw.

Lets see - there is a lot of mental math.  They will be doing things like 73+49 in their head - certainly by level C.   The early levels, A and B, do not have a lot of worksheets or writing.  Math fact practice and some other concepts are done through card games instead of drills.  (This can become a problem if you don't play them enough though.)  If you do edition 1 you absolutely have to play the card games more often then mentioned in the manual.  We haven't this year - but we have done 4 days of math and 1 day of card games.   Starting partway through level B there are practice sheets as well.  (In level B a practice sheet has about 10 questions)

In edition 1 some people find level A a bit 'scattered'.  The lessons are actually designed to be done over 2 days with a bit of a shift in topic.  (My kids generally did them in one day because they enjoyed it.)   In all the levels, it can look like there is a change in topic all at once - but when you get to really know the program you can see the reasons.  For instance, there will be lessons in A or B on adding 5 + a number.... and then it shifts to working with money.  But the lessons on working with money area just working with nickles and pennies - so it is all adding 5 + a number with a real-life reason.   Time is often done after working on skip-counting 5's - again it is related.     OR, sometimes I've found that it has wrapped up a topic a bit and moved on to something else (the drawing lessons in Level C come to mind) - I've found with my kids that they have generally come right to a spot where they really need to think about the concepts for a while - and that is when the topic shifts like that.

A few things are done a bit differently than traditionally taught - the main one that throws people for a loop is multi-digit subtraction.... it uses a method where you subtract starting from the left.  It works well, really does the same thing as subtracting from the right, but is a bit easier for the kids (but harder for the parents...lol.)  Some people just do it as they were taught instead. 

I think edition 1 is a bit light on word-problems - but it does have them.

Well, that is my 2 cents.  btw - one thing I love about rightstart is that if the child is stuck - you can generally play related games for a while to straighten it out.  I was using a different program originally with my oldest, and when he was stuck - I didn't know what to do to help him.

hope that helps some.

• Like 1

I think it is also important to sit down and decide what you are really looking for.

Do you want a program for elementary arithmetic or should it continue all the way through high school?

Do you want a bunch of manipulatives or will that frustrate you and your child?

Do you want a colorful program or a cleaner black and white look?

Is this a subject you want to spend the most on or are you confident in your teaching of math so you can spend less?

Do you want a spiral or mastery program?

The more you know what you are looking for, the easier time you will have narrowing down the options.

Best wishes!

• Like 2

Hi, welcome.

Some initial thoughts:

Think about where you want to be at the end of a certain phase and work backwards from there to figure out what you want from an elementary math education. How comfortable at modifying a program/ignoring the manual and just teaching a program your way are you? Knowing a subject and teaching the subject are vastly different so think about what/when what you know may not be enough to teach.

Then when you have more questions, begin asking specific questions about those programs and how they will serve you and your particular student with X particular strenght and Y as a weakness.

Thanks, that is really great advise! I did go to Cathy Duffy's reviews, and there are so many different programs listed, that I was overwhelmed. So I am instead just using her reviews for the programs I have heard about.

Sarah,

I'm an engineer married to an engineer too. Last year when I was ready to start something formal with my daughter (we'd been doing math worksheets from Abeka and it didn't work) I went to our local homeschool convention. I'm fortunate to have a big one pretty close to me! I was able to get my hands on Saxon, Miquon, Math-u-See, Singapore, a couple oddballs, and RightStart. I hadn't really known about RightStart before the convention. My husband zeroed in on their booth because of the "math balance" they had on display - he thought it was awesome. I liked how it had fewer manipulatives than Math-u-See but more than some other programs. I came home, did a little more research, read samples from RightStart and a few others, and ended up going with RS B. We flew through that and are in C now.

I'm not saying all that to promote RightStart actually though I love the program, but to urge you to get to a convention if it's at all possible. There's nothing like being able to look at everything! But you could get overwhelmed, so make a list ahead of time of what programs to look at and a list of questions for yourself to consider: how many manipulatives are there, what's the theory behind it, how much written work, what sort of practice does it offer.

Hi, fellow engineer! Although now I have changed from Electrical Engineer to Domestic Engineer :)

I so wish I could go to a convention! We are living abroad right now and it's just not an option. But I do feel like I'm missing a great opportunity to view lots of different math programs.

I think it is also important to sit down and decide what you are really looking for.

Do you want a program for elementary arithmetic or should it continue all the way through high school? I really don't know on this one!

Do you want a bunch of manipulatives or will that frustrate you and your child? I love manipulatives! Not sure why that would frustrate me or my child... but then again we are new.

Do you want a colorful program or a cleaner black and white look? I only care about color if it will help visually learn the math concept. So for the most part, I don't really think color matters.

Is this a subject you want to spend the most on or are you confident in your teaching of math so you can spend less? The cost of the program is the least of my worries, and likely won't play a role in my decision.

Do you want a spiral or mastery program? Mastery

The more you know what you are looking for, the easier time you will have narrowing down the options.

Best wishes!

Thanks. I do think I have a feel for some of these questions already. Now I need a poll where I can answer these questions and it will spit out which Math programs I should look at! 

If you are comfortable with math, I don't think you have to decide now whether to use a program that will continue through high school. You have enough knowledge (and the backing of the Hive) to get through high school no matter what you choose to use in elementary. I also think it can be hard to choose "mastery" or "spiral" until you've had a chance to watch your kids. Do they need to see specific examples once in a while in order to remember how to perform an operation, or do they get frustrated with seeing things again once they have already learned them.

For just starting out, I think you need to find a program that excites +you+ and try it out. If it is going too slow you can usually speed it up, if it moves too fast through a topic we can help with suggestions for supplement or review. The best program to start with is going to be one that appeals to you as the teacher. If you are happy with it, that sentiment is more likely to rub off on your student.

Based on your answers, Righstart would be an excellent fit.

It's only elementary, but you won't have trouble finding other programs to follow it.

It's got great manipulatives.

There's no colour in the text, the manipulatives obviously have colour.

It is unfortunately pricey to get started, because of needing to buy the manipulatives.

It is....mostly? mastery based.  Sort of.  Well, they have an article about that:  http://rightstartmath.com/blog/spiral-or-mastery/

I've only used Rightstart, so I can't really comment on whether there are other programs that would fit the same criteria, sorry.  Good luck making a choice!

Based on your answers, Righstart would be an excellent fit.

:iagree:

And, if you feel like you and your son are ready to start, go for it! Don't feel like you have to wait for fall if you're excited to get started. RightStart's a great program for a low-key, leisurely start to formal math with a four-year-old, since you can break the lessons into short chunks and since it doesn't require a lot of writing. 

Don't think that there is a one size fits all either. My husband does very well in math (PhD in biochem) and my goal initially in a math program was for our son to have all the tools and tricks taught in math that I didn't learn but everyone I know who is good in math does know. We ended up with Singapore Standards after much hmming and hawing.

1.5 years later we are changing to Shiller Math. The reason? What looked the best on paper isn't what is best for our son. Math has become the thing he, and in turn I, dread the most everyday. We have had countless days of fights and tears so we have to try something different.

What appealed to us about Shiller math is it is spiral based. Our son has a habit of doing something right once, then failing to see the reason to do it over and over again. Spiral will "trick" him a bit. Also he is less likely to get bored. Shiller doesn't have tests, but rather assessments. These assessments are a completely positive thing. A child does them, and then you graded them and see what areas you need to go over or work on. No repeating for repeating's sake. So in that way it is completely personalized. It is completely scripted. The biggest con is the initial cost, but it is for 3 years worth of work and 5 years of unlimited consumables download.

I ordered mine on Thursday so I have yet to get it. But if this at all seems intresting to you, download the assessments (free on the website) and see for yourself. Seeing the personalized lesson plan for my child was amazing!

I would look into the Keys of the World Montessori guides.  I really like Montessori with preschool/ kindergarten, and I think math is the strongest realm of Montessori.  It is a big commitment, so if that's a problem, I would look into a combination of Right Start and Ronit Bird. 

The Math Mammoth site also has some good reviews of various curricula. And lots of free math teaching helps. I love her newsletter, even though we don't use MM.

Research here by noting not just what is popular but WHY. What about the parent, the child, the circumstances makes a certain curriculum a good fit for someone?

I think it can be hard when you are just beginning because you don't really know what kind of student your child is going to be. You have some ideas and mommy instinct, but kids can grow and change in surprising ways. What suits your child now may not by the time he is 12 and what suits one child may be a disaster for another.

Also, imo, it is crazy to think about choosing a curriculum for beyond elementary years at your stage. Ideas, sure. But I would just focus on elementary level now and think through the next steps when you have a few years of experience.

I'd highly recommend Cathy Duffys BOOK. 100 (or 101, or 102 depending on the version) Top Picks. It has quizzes that tell you which curriculums are the best fit for you. I have always found them to be accurate, and a great jumping off point. Check your library! It's often available in libraries.

A hands-on, manipulative heavy, mastery program sounds like Right Start or Miquon to me. The best way to test out if you like Miquon-style math are the videos at educationunboxed.com. She does several with her preschool daughter.

Ps, dragonflyers questions are excellent, but as you ponder them make sure you are answering for both yourself AND your child. I don't care for color either, but one of my kids hates to use programs without above-average visual appeal, lol. He complained about the lack of drawings, and the boring layout so much in certain programs that it became too distracting to use them. Along the same lines there are kids that find manipulatives to be an unneeded extra step, or kids that really really need the constant review of a spiral. These things are hard to know in a 4yo, but good to keep in mind.

• Like 4