Menu

Should my dd take a sat prep class?

It really depends on the student.

1. Can they make time to self-study, or would having a regular class meeting make sure it gets done before test day?

2. Is the test prep class a good fit for their needs?  (Some kids are strong in English but weak in math or vice-versa and only need a full class in one and can get by with a quick practice test for the rest.)

The ACT/SAT prep classes my boys took at the local CC were a joke.  The person teaching had no experience with the math/science questions and my son (the chemist) had to help her through those.  I'm sure there are good courses out there.  If you find one you think would work, ask others about it.  My boys did best with the online prep courses.

My DD never took a class. Self studying with the test prep book got her a very high score

We have done the same here. Oldest DD has been asked to do prep with kids after parents have paid $$$ for classes that were minimally helpful.  Working one-on-one with someone who can get a baseline and help your student figure out where s/he needs help can make a significant difference, and it provides accountability.

Is she getting the scores she wants on authentic SAT practice tests at home? (You can download the official SAT practice test from the College Board) 

If you all have time to do so, you might want to try taking the real thing and see what the scores are. Often, that will give students the motivation and focus to try something new if what they were doing didn't result in the scores they wanted. And if they do get the scores they want - then no need to invest in classes or tutoring!

Often kids think the SAT is something to *study* for - as in "I'll need to memorize math formulas or grammar rules" - when I really think it is something to *practice* for - as in "wow, I need to draw a picture to visualize that math problem because I keep making silly mistakes when I try and do everything in my head" or "Hmm..when I slow down and answer fewer questions my score is higher than when I rush through and answer every question"

The SAT is very different than school tests - I think prep classes or tutoring can help kids craft a winning strategy that will help them score to the best of their ability.

• Like 2

It is certainly possible to do well without an expensive prep class.

A lot of improving is to understand the test and wcoring. My kids liked Up Your Score for tips. For example a question following a short passage is worth the same as one following a long passage. So if time is tight answer what you can do quickly, then return to those you need to ponder. Don't get locked into going in order. Eliminate answers that you know are wrong. Etc.

I personally think that years of reading a lot are better than memorizing vocab. But that may not help in a time crunch.

• Like 1

Mine are good about self-study.  I get a book for them, and we work out a schedule.  We've done that for the PSAT, SAT, and SAT II's.

Friends with DC in public school mostly pay for classes.

I don't know how the two compare, but I've been very happy with the scores in our house!