Menu

Elementary school music curriculum suggestions? (Not composer study/music appreciation.)

pitterpatter

Through another post of mine from a couple of days ago, I learned of the following book. This lead me to research other rhythm band options for a little bit older students (i.e. around age eight, which is about my DD's age). Well, my research has snowballed. I've been researching elementary school music curriculum and I am simply overwhelmed.

What I'm looking for is something (or a couple of somethings) to teach DD basic music skills (rhythm counting, note names, music vocabulary, etc.). I would also like for there be opportunities for her to engage with the music by playing rhythm instruments (i.e. sticks, sand blocks, triangles, bells, drums, etc. ...not sure whether Boomwhackers would work since there's just two of us). There also must be an accompanying music CD because I cannot sing well and am not proficient enough on the piano (and we don't have one) to play the music. (DH and I both played instruments in our junior high and high school bands.) And no, I can't just put something together, I need lesson plans.

I had planned on starting recorder with her, but I don't think either of us is ready for that.

I have been perusing catalogs at http://www.musick8.com/html/store_page.php?cat_id=5 and http://www.alfred.com/Browse/ProductTypes/ClassroomPreSchool.aspx. I have come up with a couple of rhythm stick books, but that's about it. There are just too many options to comb through, and they're expensive!

Please, please post viable suggestions. 

51vwFNofGEL._AA160_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Rhythm-Instrument-Activities-Young-Children-ebook/dp/B00KQ6DHVW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426015711&sr=1-1&keywords=rhythm+instruments

PS - If anyone is wondering about the other rhythm books I am considering, they are...

00-42785.jpg 00-41754.jpg Kidstix.jpg

PPS - I've looked at this (among others), which I generally like, but it's expensive.

705_AutoGenImg_Medium.png

http://shop.musicplaytext1.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=705

• Like 2

LOL, thanks! I'm obsessed right now.

I've looked at the one you posted, which I like in a sense. What would be even better is if I could find something that tied these lessons to actual music that we could listen to and/or play in some way. Something more hands-on.

Ohhh I love what you've already found!
I could have used that!

I've used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Read-Music-Sequential-Readiness/dp/0739032852

And some dutch stuff ( a songbook with songs for elementary school, and a 1-6 textbook curriculum for music)

Well, as a music ed person myself, I have nothing that fits that bill.  Maybe something has surfaced in the last few years that I don't know about?  (I'll be following the thread.)

My best advice for a non-singing mom is to use pianimals and learn to play the keyboard (or piano).  Learn to sing the songs as well as play them on the keyboard.  Get some shakers, a triangle, rhythm sticks, etc... and let you child get creative with them while she sings.  Then take turns, you play the shaker while she plays piano.

Have you seen the currics written for public schools?  They are a hot mess!  Every music teacher I have EVER known writes her own lesson plans using the "curric" as a resource and not as a lesson guide.  "curric" is in quotes b/c it's a stretch to call it that.  So, iow, I think that it's probably going to be hard to find something that isn't piano specific (b/c there are a few piano-at-home resources) that comes even close to what you want.

Kodaly would be an excellent choice, but it requires accurate singing.

ETA:  Boomwhackers are TOYS, not real musical instruments.  A nice set of handbells or a glockenspiel would be better.  You can do simple handbell stuff with just 2 people.  Better yet, reach out into your community and find a musical mom to swap some classes.  She teaches music with 3-6 kids, and you teach them ______.

• Like 3

Honestly, there is one luxury I pay for and that is music lessons. By the looks of the rest of your curriculum it looks like your daughter is bright, so my question is why not recorder or piano?

This is a real question, not meant to be a snotty remark.

• Like 2

We a using A Beka's Music Theory curriculum and are liking it well enough. They start out teaching the solvege "notes" or whatever they call them. do-re-mi-fa-so.... Anyhow, I skipped that part, but it is a very easy introduction to music theory and playing the recorder. We have fun with it, although we sound pretty awful.

• Like 1

I bought an Aulos recorder and the Nine-Note Method, but I'm not sure I'm ready/have the patience to teach her (and energy to keep up with practice) right now. We have a lot going on. She also has a palate defect. Surgeons had to remove three of her front baby teeth and accompanying permanent tooth buds (well, that's not totally true...the tooth buds were mostly destroyed anyway) and surrounding tissue when she was 1.5 years old due to a rare type of tumor. She had reconstructive surgery, but the teeth are gone. She's also in the middle of losing baby teeth. I'm not quite sure a wind instrument is the way to go. I had her play a bit when I received the recorder in the mail, but I could see it was difficult for her to hold it in her mouth, tongue notes, etc. I'm uncertain...uncertain how to teach her with the defect.

As for piano lessons, we're rural. I've asked around a couple of times, but I haven't come up with a teacher yet. And, I'm very particular...wouldn't let her stay at just anyone's house. There are studio options about 30 minutes away, but we already travel for gymnastics and don't want to travel for music too right now. If her interest in gymnastics fades, we could swap for music lessons. Outside music lessons just doesn't feel doable at the moment.

She likes music, likes composer study, likes orchestra music, likes making noise...lol, so I thought casual music lessons during school time a couple of times per week would be the best fit for us. Something we could do to learn a little, sing (she really likes Song School Spanish) and have fun in a low-stress way.

Honestly, there is one luxury I pay for and that is music lessons. By the looks of the rest of your curriculum it looks like your daughter is bright, so my question is why not recorder or piano?

This is a real question, not meant to be a snotty remark.

If you have a Children's Music Academy near you I would highly recommend it. My 9yo dd just graduated from the program and my musician DH is amazed at how much she learned in those 3 years. Note reading, ear training, transposing, all key signatures, all major music terms (and a few even he never heard of), playing piano at an intermediate level, beginning recorder, guitar, and rhythm instruments, and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

• Like 1

I bought an Aulos recorder and the Nine-Note Method, but I'm not sure I'm ready/have the patience to teach her (and energy to keep up with practice) right now. We have a lot going on. She also has a palate defect. Surgeons had to remove three of her front baby teeth and accompanying permanent tooth buds (well, that's not totally true...the tooth buds were mostly destroyed anyway) and surrounding tissue when she was 1.5 years old due to a rare type of tumor. She had reconstructive surgery, but the teeth are gone. She's also in the middle of losing baby teeth. I'm not quite sure a wind instrument is the way to go. I had her play a bit when I received the recorder in the mail, but I could see it was difficult for her to hold it in her mouth, tongue notes, etc. I'm uncertain...uncertain how to teach her with the defect.

As for piano lessons, we're rural. I've asked around a couple of times, but I haven't come up with a teacher yet. And, I'm very particular...wouldn't let her stay at just anyone's house. There are studio options about 30 minutes away, but we already travel for gymnastics and don't want to travel for music too right now. If her interest in gymnastics fades, we could swap for music lessons. Outside music lessons just doesn't feel doable at the moment.

She likes music, likes composer study, likes orchestra music, likes making noise...lol, so I thought casual music lessons during school time a couple of times per week would be the best fit for us. Something we could do to learn a little, sing (she really likes Song School Spanish) and have fun in a low-stress way.

I see how palate and dental issues could make learning a woodwind difficult.

In that case I'd consider doing piano myself using online teach-yourself methods. My stepdaughter learned quite a bit this way. Though not ideal--her form suffered--if you use it with a good book and check one another, perhaps you could both learn keyboarding until she is old enough to do more outside of the home. Incidentally, most of the teachers around here teach Suzuki to some extent and expect you to sit there with the child. I leave my kids because we have issues with autonomy and I need them to develop their own relationship to the teacher/music. But that is actually the exception, not the rule. So do keep it in mind. Also some teachers will do joint lessons so if you and your daughter have a good joint-learning relationship that may be a possibility and worth the drive.

• Like 1

Have you used their program? I've wondered what and how it teaches.

I bought their first book to check it out.  Not impressed.  Music must be heard and enjoyed before it can be learned.  This might be one resource among many used by a musician, but I think it would make many-a-kid hate music if this was their music education.

Pianimals. It gets you there, and it is enjoyable.  It comes with accomp. CD's so that the child has a full sense of the music, and that makes it simple to practice singing the songs as you learn to play them.  Also, keyboard is the "mother instrument" so that the child can branch out into whatever else after learning the basics on piano.  

I'd love it if there were an all-in-one music curric.  I've thought of writing one...but then I collapsed in a heap at the vast scope of what I would require for such an undertaking.  Maybe when my my kids are grown.

• Like 2

LOL! I started designing worksheets/paper activity sheets with original art to go with each section of the Ancients portion of The Usborne Encyclopedia of World History. I collapsed when I hit Egypt.

I bought their first book to check it out.  Not impressed.  Music must be heard and enjoyed before it can be learned.  This might be one resource among many used by a musician, but I think it would make many-a-kid hate music if this was their music education.

Pianimals. It gets you there, and it is enjoyable.  It comes with accomp. CD's so that the child has a full sense of the music, and that makes it simple to practice singing the songs as you learn to play them.  Also, keyboard is the "mother instrument" so that the child can branch out into whatever else after learning the basics on piano.  

I'd love it if there were an all-in-one music curric.  I've thought of writing one...but then I collapsed in a heap at the vast scope of what I would require for such an undertaking.  Maybe when my my kids are grown.

• Like 1

Have you used their program? I've wondered what and how it teaches.

We did use it for a year or so. The workbooks concentrate on music notes (and durations), staff, rests (and durations), etc. - good basic terminology. Very helpful for reading music. We reinforced it by noticing the music in hymnals each week in church.

If anyone is keeping up with this thread for ideas, MusicPlay is singing to me, but it's pricey and I'm not sure I could/would use all of the components.

However, two other resources (that I can afford) on the same Web site are drawing me in.

RIF_AutoGenImg_Medium.jpg

http://shop.musicplaytext1.ihoststores.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=RIF

And, because we are also studying composers/orchestral music, this one really excites me. What a neat, interactive way to study orchestral music. I know DD would love the interactive components. Plus, students learn about instruments, music vocabulary, rhythm, movement, etc.

770_AutoGenImg_Medium.png 771_AutoGenImg_Medium.png 772_AutoGenImg_Medium.png 773_AutoGenImg_Medium.png 774_AutoGenImg_Medium.png

http://shop.musicplaytext1.ihoststores.com/category.aspx?categoryID=56

There are extensive samples, videos, etc. for both of these. I would love to know what others think.