Menu

Looking for opinions on CLE LA please

Nakia

I'm looking at CLE for my rising 4th and 7th graders.

This will be the 4th grader's first time doing formal grammar, and I'm having a difficult time deciding between FLL and CLE for her. Thoughts?

My rising 7th grader has done Winston Grammar, two levels of ILL, plus a quick run through the grammar in TC. She's a very different learner than my middle. I've been trying to decide between Analytical Grammar and CLE for her.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me. My oldest dd used R&S all the way through, but I can't see it working for my next two daughters.

• Like 2

I am finding CLE LA difficult to transition to mid-stream. Meaning, if you don't start at the beginning with 1st, b/c of the scope and sequence, it is tough to switch to CLE if you want to stay on grade level. At least it was for us. It is a very thorough curriculum. Definitely have your kids take the placement test to see where they best place. It might be below grade level with CLE...which isn't necessarily an issue. I might start the 7th grader in Analytical Grammar...if it were me. ;)  I have a 4th grader that I had wanted to transition to CLE but she placed back in the 200 series. R&S is much easier to jump into at grade level (or close to it) b/c there is a lot of review with each level. Just my 2 cents. :) 

Have not used CLE LA, but I know with the CLE Math Light Units there is enough review that you can usually accelerate the program when necessary.  If a child tested into, say, CLE Math 300, but was actually in 4th grade, they could compress the 3 weeks plus on each Light Unit by cutting out some of the review questions so they could do two lessons in one day, plus eliminating the quizzes and tests and moving through much more quickly, as long as there was no issue with comprehension.  A child could probably cover 2 levels in one year without much trouble if the parent thought it necessary.  If they tested in at a level below where their "grade level" would be, they could catch up by the end of the year.  Would the CLE LA light units work similarly?

I am using CLE LA this year with my 2nd and 4th graders and we've had no trouble coming in mid-stream. They're in the 200 and 400 series. My boys are coming from public school where the grammar training wasn't as thorough, so we've had to take it slow at times, but it's been great overall. (It's actually been a bit humbling for me to see just how inadequate my own grammar training was. I'm learning quite a bit, too!)

I'm using CLE LA 6 with my dyslexic 7th grader this year. Not hard to transition into, if you buy their diagramming resources, too, for a student who hasn't had diagramming before (the light units for the higher grades assume diagramming instruction previously). Not a huge deal for us - we're just also working through the book that CLE sells for students with exactly this issue - no previous exposure for diagramming. 

First and second are very phonics based and might be hard to jump into. My oldest jumped into 4th and has done fairly well (in 6th now - it's a tough level). My littler ones are starting from the beginning. We are happy with it, just be sure to do the placement test before starting :).