Menu

Advice for going dairy free.

KatieJ

DH of a friend of mine is trying dairy free to see if that helps some mysterious "failure to thrive" condition he has. He is over 60 by the way. He has lost tons of weight and has heart issues due to malnutrition. Doctors are pretty confused, and I feel like they are throwing darts at the wall.

We are not close friends, so I can't answer any specific questions.

So give me some very simple ideas , websites, cookbooks, etc.

I can't speak to the medical but any vegan website will be dairy free.  One of my favorites is www.ohsheglows.com.

The trickier part is finding the hidden dairy.  You have to read labels and know which ingredients are dairy derivatives, such as whey.

• Like 1

I agree that it is hard to find all of the hidden dairy.  Many "nondairy" things contain small amounts of dairy.  Lunch meats and many processed foods do as well.  Anything with a sauce is likely to contain dairy as well.

Dairy is one of the Big 8 allergens, so that makes avoiding it easier.  If he really wants to eliminate dairy to see if that is causing his issues, then he will have to look at the label of every processed, packaged food he eats.  The rule states that the word Milk must appear on the label either in parentheses after a specific ingredient, or at the bottom of the list called out as an allergen contained in the product.

Once you get rid of the hidden dairy (look at everything: salad dressing, sausage, taco seasoning, crackers, etc) then the rest is pretty straight forward.  No recipes with cheese, substitute a different fat for butter, eliminate milk or substitute almond/rice/coconut milk in recipes, obviously no ice cream or creamer in coffee, etc.  Another thing to consider, is that I have been told my multiple sources that someone with a dairy allergy is more likely to also react to soy.  If he is going to go on an elimination diet, it might make sense to eliminate several or all of the Big 8 allergens to start with and then if he sees improvements he can slowly add them back in to see which is the culprit.

Since we have to be dairy-free, wheat-free and soy-free, I find it is safest and easiest to just start with single ingredient foods as often as possible.  I buy primarily meats, vegetables and fruits and keep meals and recipes simple and homemade.  

Wendy

• Like 1

Amy's Kitchen has many dairy free frozen meals. (Not all of them are, so look for "Dairy Free" on the box)

Silk makes soymilk, nutmilk, and yogurt.

Daiya makes dairy free cheese.

I eat Oroweat brown buns.

It really is easiest if you avoid most processed food and stick with basic foods. (Beans, fruits, veggies, whole grains)

Any publication by Calwell Esselstyn or Rip Esselstyn will have dairy free as will books by the Happy Herbivore. You could always add chicken or beef to the recipes if you wanted.

• Like 1

Any foods you can suggest , keeping in ins she is trying to put weight on him.

Coconut oil and milk would be good to try.

I would recommend these:

*So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk and Coconut yogurts (the vanilla yogurt is very mild/doesn't taste sour at all)

*Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss frozen desserts and bars (If your friend lives near a Whole Foods Market there will be more choices of flavors)

I have some coconut oil books by Bruce Fife.  Here's his website:  http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/index.htm

I also buy vanilla flavored almond milk...our favorite is  Whole Foods Market's "365" brand.

For a dairy-free version of Nutella...try Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut spread. 

DH of a friend of mine is trying dairy free to see if that helps some mysterious "failure to thrive" condition he has. He is over 60 by the way. He has lost tons of weight and has heart issues due to malnutrition. Doctors are pretty confused, and I feel like they are throwing darts at the wall.

We are not close friends, so I can't answer any specific questions.

So give me some very simple ideas , websites, cookbooks, etc.

Might be a weird dart to throw at the wall but have they tested for mitchondrial issues?  Those can produce symptoms that don't seem to have anything to do with each other.

Can he see a dietitian as well through his doctor/insurance?  That might help as they can figure out if he is getting enough calories and help with nutritional support. 

Easiest way to begin dairy free is by planning meals without dairy (meat, veggies, fruits, use coconut oil for cooking).

The sudden (?) malnutrition sounds more like celiac disease, if it's even food related.

If it were me, I'd try a whole30 and see if that helps anything. I'd also look into sleep apnea and thyroid disease if it's not already been ruled out.

We are not close friends, so I can't answer those questions. He has been unwell since last summer. He had an intestinal blockage surgery last fall, but the weight loss and heart symptoms started long before that. He has been tested for all kinds of cancer, but I don't know beyond that. His weight is stable now, but he needs to gain weight and that is not happening yet.

She is a very busy mom with three special needs adult kids. I just want to send her some resources to help her get started with dairy free cooking. I am also wondering why they chose dairy over gluten as a place to,start with his diet.

Drs have suggested they head to Cleveland clinic or the mayo clinic, but I don't think that's feasible right now.

Another place they like to hide milk products is in medicines.  I just had to switch to gel cap ibuprofen because the tablet form has lactose in it.  Unlike food, you rarely see the big 8 allergen listed on the medicine products.

I would wonder about celiac, esp. with the intestinal issues he had before.

s

That makes sense to me too. I am sending her an email with the above mentioned thoughts, and I will ask about that. I suspect it's next after dairy.

s

That makes sense to me too. I am sending her an email with the above mentioned thoughts, and I will ask about that. I suspect it's next after dairy.

Some People with gluten issues can have "fake" dairy or other issues. Meaning that they're not actually dairy sensitive, but that celiac disease caused damage and once that heals, the dairy issues go away.