Menu

Update: Asking for help with the letter which I posted in OP: Appeal letter.

Joanne

Most of the colleges that offered acceptances want a tax transcript (I don't know if they'll be ready), copies of my W-4's, other various stuff.

We are going to see the colleges she hasn't seen next Friday and the following Wednesday and Thursday.

I'd like to leave a financial package with the typical requested documentation and a letter explaining our special circumstances. I am not trying to get out of what is necessary, but I truly feel our situation needs to be evaluated in context.

I feel the pertinent info is:

1. I was without child support for years.
  2. I only recently (since October 2014) have been making the combined salary I am making.
  3. It is only through 2 full time jobs and a couple of part time jobs that I make what I do.
  4. I have only started to save for retirement since December 2014.
  5. I have no assets.
  6. I have $100k in medical bills due to a car accident that occurred while I was not medically insured.

How do I put that together in a way that puts our FAFSA in perspective?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our first tour is tomorrow. Here is the letter:

Dear Financial Aid Officer,

I am writing on behalf of accepted student __________.  __________ is my daughter, and I am her mother, Joanne _________.
As you know, we have submitted her FAFSA information. However, I am concerned that the FAFSA does not accurately depict our family financial situation and my ability to contribute to __________’s college expenses.

As a side note, I have filed my 2014 taxes, but since I will owe approximately $2300, I will be using a payment plan and not “paying in full†at this time. It’s my understanding this delays my access to a 2014 Tax Transcript until May. I am hopeful this will not delay __________’s ability to receive a financial aid offer from your institution.

To understand my FAFSA and ability to assist with _________’s college education in the holistic context of our lives, it is necessary to “go back†in our family history. I divorced _________’s father nearly 10 years ago, and with the exception of a brief remarriage, have been a single mother of 3 children. During this decade, I have been through a costly custody battle simultaneous with being paid minimal or no child support from ________’s father. He does not assist with costs of any kind, including their school or extracurricular activities or medical expenses.  It is important to note that _________ has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (now re-named clinically to Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis). I need to keep her insured at all times. One of her medicines is in excess of $3800 per month. In addition, her disease limits her ability to accept “typical†teen jobs.

In trying to build a life, I returned to school myself, graduated with my Masters in 2011, and am the fledgling stages of building a new career in the mental and behavioral health field.

However, that was delayed significantly after October 15, 2013. I was involved in a near fatal car accident. Although my children have been insured, I was medically uninsured, and the case has not been settled or tried. As a result of this event, I am in approximately $100,000 of medical debt and with ongoing physical issues. I can provide documentation for this if needed.

Prior to October 2014, my income was low. In October 2014, I began working another full time job in addition to my “during the week†job. I am working full time Monday through Friday at a school (my children’s tuition comes out of my salary) and I work 6:45 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at a Psychiatric Emergency Room. My current compensation appears high, but that is because I am working 7 days a week, every week, in order to pay debt, begin to save for retirement, and eventually qualify for a home loan.

Currently, I have no assets, no savings, and nothing beyond income that ensures financial stability.

I have attached tax transcripts for the previous 3 years (excluding, as mentioned, 2014). I am able to provide documentation of the divorce and accident if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my request to review our situation with this in mind.

I feel the pertinent info is:

1. I was without child support for years.
  2. I only recently (since October 2014) have been making the combined salary I am making.
  3. It is only through 2 full time jobs and a couple of part time jobs that I make what I do.
  4. I have only started to save for retirement since December 2014.
  5. I have no assets.
  6. I have $100k in medical bills due to a car accident that occurred while I was not medically insured.

How do I put that together in a way that puts our FAFSA in perspective?

I would focus on points 2,3,4, and 6.  While #1 is very unfortunate I'm not sure that it really explains more about your current financial situation or gives a clearer picture of your financial needs for the 2015-2016 academic year. I would also think that #5 is reasonably clear from what has been provided on FAFSA since assets [beyond the family home and retirement accounts for parents---which you are mentioning above] are declared there.  Good Luck! I hope you manage to find a solution that works for your family and your daughter.

• Like 1

I agree with LMV, and to be honest, if these are decent schools, they will either ask you to fill out a CSS profile which will give them a clearer picture and allow you to document the medical bills which alone, should be an excellent reason to throw need based aid her way, but also engage you in conversation about your situation which may create an ally inside for you.

While I've occasionally had to tell a horror story of a nasty financial aid rep, the good ones FAR outweigh the bad. So don't be afraid to ask for an appointment, bring your documentation, and have a conversation. Most of them do want to help. Most of them have jobs wherein their future employment depends on their ability to help admissions meet their yield goals so for the most part, they'd like your daughter to attend. Some will bend over to help more than others. As long as she doesn't get her heart absolutely set on one particular institution, and is willing to fall in love with which ever one offers her the best financial aid package provided they are strong in her major, things are likely to go well.

You have a lot of strong reasons for appeals. Creekland successfully went through an appeal last year over medical issues and selling a property in order to help with those expenses thus creating a higher than usual EFC. Both her youngest son and middle son at different institutions received accommodation for it. I take that as a good sign that many schools are reasonable about such things so long as the documentation is sound.

Try not to worry too much.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

You have a lot of strong reasons for appeals. Creekland successfully went through an appeal last year over medical issues and selling a property in order to help with those expenses thus creating a higher than usual EFC. Both her youngest son and middle son at different institutions received accommodation for it. I take that as a good sign that many schools are reasonable about such things so long as the documentation is sound.

Try not to worry too much.

:grouphug:

Yes, it did work out well for us.  We had to get our "official" offers in and then ask for the appeal papers each school provided.  Technically, they already knew what was going on as we'd been in contact with them prior to our official offers, but they can only work when it's all official (at least for these two schools) and it's their papers we had to fill out.

Take your list with you (same list you posted here - it will guide your mind when you're on the spot) plus any tax documents you have and talk with them in person (an adult, not a student worker) then let them walk you through the process. Part of our appeal papers were putting down in writing what our circumstance was.  At that point we got detailed - but tried to also keep it concise.  (To do this, it took some brainstorming, checking, and rewriting, just as an essay would.)

The adults who work in financial aid often know what they can or can't do and exactly how to go about getting anything they need on record.  Their info will be better than any message board as they'll give you specifics to their school.  We can just give you general info.

Best wishes!

• Like 3

Check with each school if they have any special forms or format they prefer.

Your list is pretty good, though I also agree #1 is the least relevant issue.  You can give them a picture of the past 2-3 years, but not your child's entire life.

You write your case out as a cover letter, then attach supporting documents.  Your final letter will be your list of special circumstances, with a note as to which documents support each circumstance.

So, you would be writing things like:

I have only been making this level of income since October 2014.  See attached 2013 tax return for comparison.  etc.

Good luck!

• Like 4

I think the medical bills are going to be the factor most in your favor, and that's very typical information for a school to consider. I'd be very surprised if a school that has some money left doesn't improve their offer based on high medical debt. 

The recentness of income going up could be a supporting factor. 

You've done a FASFA, so they already know you don't have any assets. I'm not sure they will care that much about no retirement savings, simply b/c so many people don't have them regardless of circumstances. I'd have that information at the ready, or perhaps hit lightly on it in my letter, but I'd probably hit just the main factors hard. 

If any of them use CSS, it should have asked for this kind of info - and the CSS schools are usually the ones that have a bigger pool of money! 

The fact that you are visiting in person should be in your favor. 

Be sure to personalize each one -- learn the name of the director of the financial aid office of each school.  Change "your institution" to the actual school name. 

Drop the part about custody battles (it's drama).  Drop the part about wanting to get a home loan. They don't care that you would rather have a house than pay college tuition. 

Trying to decide what to say about the fact that tuition is deducted from your paycheck.  On the one hand, it does reduce your take home pay; on the other hand, it's private school tuition, which seems like a luxury good to people.  Does the school you work at provide financial aid to your kids?  If so, maybe note that tuition after financial aid is deducted from your paycheck?

Although you cannot give them an official tax transcript, if there is information that they need to have, attach an unofficial copy of your tax return.

A few rewordings, but maybe not your personal style?

Dear Mr/Ms _____________(director of financial aid),

I am writing on behalf of accepted student __________.  __________ is my daughter, and I am her mother, Joanne _________.

As you know, we have submitted her FAFSA information. However, I am concerned that the FAFSA does not accurately depict our family financial situation and my ability to contribute to __________’s college expenses.

As a side note, I have filed my 2014 taxes, but since I will owe approximately $2300, I will be using a payment plan and not “paying in full†at this time. It’s my understanding this delays my access to a 2014 Tax Transcript until May. For the time being, I have attached an unofficial copy of my return. I am hopeful this will not delay __________’s ability to receive a financial aid offer from  _____ (school name).

To understand my FAFSA and ability to assist with _________’s college education in the holistic context of our lives, it is necessary to “go back†in our family history. I divorced _________’s father nearly 10 years ago, and with the exception of a brief remarriage, have been a single mother of 3 children. During this decade, I have been paid minimal or no child support from ________’s father. He does not currently assist with the children's expenses in any way.  It is important to note that _________ has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (now re-named clinically to Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis). I need to keep her insured at all times. One of her medications is in excess of $3800 per month. In addition, her disease limits her ability to accept “typical†teen jobs.

In trying to build a life, I returned to school myself, graduated with my Masters in 2011, and am the fledgling stages of building a new career in the mental and behavioral health field. However, that was delayed significantly after October 15, 2013. I was involved in a near fatal car accident. Although my children have been insured, I was medically uninsured, and the case has not been settled or tried. As a result of this event, I am in approximately $100,000 of medical debt and with ongoing physical issues. I can provide documentation for this if needed.

Prior to October 2014, my income was low. In October 2014, I began working another full time job in addition to my “during the week†job. I am working full time Monday through Friday at a school (my children’s tuition after financial aid comes out of my salary), and I work 6:45 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at a Psychiatric Emergency Room. My current compensation appears high, but that is because I am working 7 days a week, every week, in order to pay debt, rebuild my financial security, and begin to save for retirement. Currently, I have no assets, no savings, and nothing beyond income that ensures financial stability.

I have attached tax transcripts for the previous 3 years and an unofficial copy of my 2014 return. I am able to provide documentation of the divorce and accident if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my request to review our situation with this in mind.

• Like 3

I think the only relevant factors are the medical bills and that your income has recently experienced an uptick. Not that your daughter has RA, not that she can't work in whatever job (clearly she can work at some jobs--she is going to nursing school, after all), not that the accident was nearly fatal, and most definitely not the child support or lack thereof. Even the medical bills are irrelevant if you are not paying them. So, if you are, I would include the amount you are paying each year or month. The less you can say to make your point, the better.

• Like 7

I think the only relevant factors are the medical bills and that your income has recently experienced an uptick. Not that your daughter has RA, not that she can't work in whatever job (clearly she can work at some jobs--she is going to nursing school, after all), not that the accident was nearly fatal, and most definitely not the child support or lack thereof. Even the medical bills are irrelevant if you are not paying them. So, if you are, I would include the amount you are paying each year or month. The less you can say to make your point, the better.

Exactly. Stating the cost of medications is only relevant if that is the amt being paid out of pocket. What are your real monthly payments for her medication? That is the number the school needs to know. Include the total due in medical bills and then the negotiated payment plan monthly payment.

• Like 2

Dear Financial Aid Officer,

As a side note, I have filed my 2014 taxes, but since I will owe approximately $2300, I will be using a payment plan and not “paying in full†at this time. It’s my understanding this delays my access to a 2014 Tax Transcript until May. I am hopeful this will not delay __________’s ability to receive a financial aid offer from your institution.

To understand my FAFSA and ability to assist with _________’s college education in the holistic context of our lives, it is necessary to “go back†in our family history. I divorced _________’s father nearly 10 years ago, and with the exception of a brief remarriage, have been a single mother of 3 children. During this decade, I have been through a costly custody battle simultaneous with being paid minimal or no child support from ________’s father. He does not assist with costs of any kind, including their school or extracurricular activities or medical expenses.  It is important to note that _________ has Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (now re-named clinically to Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis). I need to keep her insured at all times. One of her medicines is in excess of $3800 per month. In addition, her disease limits her ability to accept “typical†teen jobs.

In trying to build a life, I returned to school myself, graduated with my Masters in 2011, and am the fledgling stages of building a new career in the mental and behavioral health field.

However, that was delayed significantly after October 15, 2013. I was involved in a near fatal car accident. Although my children have been insured, I was medically uninsured, and the case has not been settled or tried. As a result of this event, I am in approximately $100,000 of medical debt and with ongoing physical issues. I can provide documentation for this if needed.

Prior to October 2014, my income was low. In October 2014, I began working another full time job in addition to my “during the week†job. I am working full time Monday through Friday at a school (my children’s tuition comes out of my salary) and I work 6:45 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at a Psychiatric Emergency Room. My current compensation appears high, but that is because I am working 7 days a week, every week, in order to pay debt, begin to save for retirement, and eventually qualify for a home loan.

Currently, I have no assets, no savings, and nothing beyond income that ensures financial stability.

I have attached tax transcripts for the previous 3 years (excluding, as mentioned, 2014). I am able to provide documentation of the divorce and accident if needed.

I agree with Janet, address each letter to the director of financial aid for the particular school (the information should be available on the internet).  I also think it is a great idea to attach a copy of your 2014 return if it has already been filed but your tax transcript is on hold until you satisfy your payment agreement.  You can forward them the official tax transcript when you receive it but I think many schools would go ahead and put together a package based on a copy of the return.

As far as your letter, I completely understand that the past years have been a difficult struggle for you and that your former spouse has not stepped up the way he needed to with your kids at least from a financial support standpoint (and perhaps in other ways, I'm not completely clear on that and I don't need to be).  I extend all kinds of compassion to you regarding this but I really don't think this needs to be included unless you are asked to justify why you haven't saved for your daughter's college (which I don't see you being asked at this point).  I was also under the impression that your marriage to your second husband officially lasted five years or more and that your divorce has been finalized at some point in the past six months.  For these reasons, I'm not sure I would use the term brief because if someone does decide to verify any of this with a background check I would think this discrepancy might cause some to question your credibility on other points.  Please understand that I'm not questioning your credibility but I just think when you toss it all out this way others may have their own interpretation of how to categorize your story. For this reason I really would just leave that whole section and situation out.

I also would probably strike the statement about needing to keep your daughter insured at all times because I think many financial aid officers are going to view that as a basic expense and may actually react unfavorably to you bringing it up.  What I would mention is any standard recurring out of pocket medical costs for your daughter's healthcare (include physician charges, medications, OT, PT etc).  This is relevant information because it explains that your family has a budget category that exceeds that of many of your daughter's peers. It is even more relevant because I anticipate that these costs will be continuing through her college years and there should be an adjustment to her college COA budget to reflect that. I would also leave out the line about her inability to work at typical peer jobs.  

As far as your income, I completely understand why you are not sure if working two essentially full time jobs will be sustainable long term (or even four another four years to get your daughter through college).  I think that this is the point you need to stress.  I would raise the one caution that while your 2014 income only represents three months of the higher income situation your 2015 income will be likely to be significantly higher as a result and I'm not sure if this will make financial aid officers feel that you will actually have more income to potentially fund your daughters college with during the 2015-2016 academic year than it appears from your 2014 taxes.  This may also have a significant impact on what federal aid your daughter is awarded for the 2016-2017 academic year so that may be important to consider when looking at packages this year and choosing the best financial fit. I agree with others who have suggested that leaving out the saving for a mortgage is wise because I think most financial aid officers will feel you should be using that money to fund your daughter's college if you can.  I'm not saying that is fair or even logical but that is likely the view that would be taken.

If this helps you (I have tried to preserve your phrasing and words as much as possible):

Dear Mr/Ms _____________(director of financial aid),

As a side note, I have filed my 2014 taxes, but since I will owe approximately $2300, I will be using a payment plan and not “paying in full†at this time. It’s my understanding this delays my access to a 2014 Tax Transcript until May. For the time being, I have attached an unofficial copy of my return. I am hopeful this will not delay __________’s ability to receive a financial aid offer from  _____ (school name).

To understand my FAFSA and ability to assist with _________’s college education in the holistic context of our lives, it is necessary to “go back†in our family history. I divorced _________’s father nearly 10 years ago, and needed to re-enter the work force to support ______ and her two brothers. In trying to build a life, I returned to school myself, graduated with my Masters in 2011, and am still in the fledgling stages of building a new career in the mental and behavioral health field.  My career trajectory has been impacted significantly by a serious car accident I was involved in on October 15, 2013. Unfortunately, I was medically uninsured at the time, so I incurred significant medical debts (approximately $100,000).  I do have a pending civil damages suit but it is not guaranteed that the settlement or judgment will completely satisfy my debt and I may need to make payments towards this debt throughout _______'s college years.  

Prior to October 2014, my income was low. In October 2014, I began working a second full time job in order to pay debt, rebuild my financial security, and begin to save for retirement. I work full time during the week as a guidance counselor at a private school and then  I work 6:45 a.m. to 11:15 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at a Psychiatric Emergency Room. My current compensation depends on me working seven days a week every week.  I am unsure if this arrangement will be tenable over the long term, or even over the course of _____'s college years at _________.  Currently, I have no assets, no savings, and nothing beyond income that ensures financial stability.

Finally, I feel it is important to note that _________ has Juvenile idiopathic Arthritis. Our out of pocket medical costs due to her illness have been approximately $ (amount) per month over the past (number of) years.  It is anticipated that these out of pocket costs will continue throughout her college years so _________'s financial aid budget will need to be adjusted to reflect these expected medical costs. 

I have attached tax transcripts for the previous 3 years and an unofficial copy of my 2014 return. I am able to provide documentation of the divorce, ________'s out of pocket medical expenses, and/or my current medical debt  if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and consider, my request to review our situation with this in mind.  If you have any further questions, or require additional documentation, I can be reached by phone at (phone number) or by email at (email).

Sincerely,

Joanne __________

*Given your schedule you may just want to offer your email and, in the year 2015, I think that has become perfectly acceptable.

• Like 5