Menu

define these terms: middle school/junior high

Am I the only one who grew up with Lower and Upper school? :-)

My school was: 

Nursery: pre-k and k

Lower School: 1-5

Upper School: 6-8

High School: 9-12

Our current school district has

Elementary: K-6

Jr/Sr high school: 7-12

The next one over is: 

Elementary: K-4

Middle: 5-8 

High School: 9-12

I posted them up thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/543596-define-these-terms-middle-schooljunior-high/?p=6211467 Not original at all. But my thoughts are geared toward the skills, not the names. :)

:blush: This just goes to show how fried my brain really is (I'm hypothyroid this month, hooray!). I've been on the wrong day of the week, all week. Sigh. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :biggrinjester:

HA! Mr. Ellie, who went to school in California, has solved the mystery of why different schools in the same state might have different designations and whatnot for California schools:

He went to a San Diego County school, which was 1-6 (elementary), 7 & 8 (jr. high), and 9-12 (high). San Diego City schools did 1-6, 7-9, 10-12. So there you go. :-)

FTR, California has unified school districts with city schools and county schools, as opposed to, say, Texas schools, where there are Independent School Districts, as in Austin ISD or Round Rock ISD.

I attended high school for a short time in El Cajon (1968). At that time, at that school, ninth was definitely high school and credits counted toward graduation. Mr. Ellie graduated from Helix High School in La Mesa in 1967; ninth counted then, as well.  And it was that way when I lived in California (1974-2004). Perhaps it was just your particular county or something.

Funny . . . it must have been different in the different districts.  Right next door, in La Mesa, I went to Jr. High for 7th-9th and High School for 10th-12th.  This was in the '80's (class of 1990). 

ETA:  I just saw your latest post.  La Mesa must have been a San Diego city school vs. county.  :)

I attended a private Upper School which had Younger Students (grades 7-9) and Older Students (grades 10-12), but Younger Students were allowed to take Older Student classes with permission.

Before that, I went to a public Middle School (grades 6-8) which had been recently restructured from a Junior High School (grades 7-9), at which point 9th grade was tacked on to the beginning of high school.

Funny . . . it must have been different in the different districts.  Right next door, in La Mesa, I went to Jr. High for 7th-9th and High School for 10th-12th.  This was in the '80's (class of 1990). 

ETA:  I just saw your latest post.  La Mesa must have been a San Diego city school vs. county.  :)

Mr. Ellie went to school in La Mesa (Helix). Perhaps things changed between when he went to school (60s) and when you went to school.

I define them the way I grew up: elementary K-5, middle 6-8, and high school 9-12.

My husband, however, grew up in Catholic schools, and refers to elementary as K-8 and high school as 9-12. There was no "middle school" where he grew up, as most of the children in his circle went to the same parochial schools.

Locally, these days, the Catholic schools split up similar to what I remember from my own school days, even though K-8 is still housed in one building, as in my husband's school days.

My hometown keeps switching grades between the elementary and secondary schools. When I was going through, the division was K-4 and then 5-12 (with 5-8 being in a separate wing from 9-12). Then they built a larger elementary school and brought back the 5th & 6th graders. Several years after that, they switched the 6th graders back over to the secondary school and that's what it is currently.

I tend to think of "middle school" as being 5-8 but the PS in the district where I live now have it being 6-8.