Menu

Tumbling vs. Gymnastics UPDATE post 16

maize

Ds9 and dd7 have been involved in recreational gymnastics for a couple of years. In January I decided to try out a local tumbling place and enrolled them in classes there.

They are both interested in doing either gymnastics or tumbling at a competitive level. I had no idea that competitive tumbling existed until we started takeing classes at this gym. I am hoping someone here can help me compare competitive tumbling with competitive gymnastics, I know very little about either.

Tumbling is more stunts - jumps, back handsprings, back tucks, etc.  Think competitive cheer, only without the makeup and costumes.

Gymnastics is all four events - bars, beam, floor, vault.  You tumble on floor, but there are other requirements as well.

My personal opinion/experience is that form is more important in gymnastics, less so in tumbling/cheer.

I do not have personal experience with competitive tumbling, but I have a bit of experience with the competitive gymnastics (sometimes more than I wish I did... oy...).

• Like 2

My DD is a tumbler, but at a gymnastics gym. I went that route because they seemed a lot more focus on form and conditioning, and moving up in skills linearly. The big difference I see between tumbling and gymnastics (besides the apparatus) is that there are only three tumbling classes, so each covers a much wider skill level and often a wider age level.

In my DD's case, she also does competitive rec cheer, and her team offers tumbling classes.

• Like 1

It is so hard trying to find ways to meet the needs of each individual child!

I would just go with gymnastics, but am having a difficult time figuring out how to fit in multiple classes per week when the boys and girls for the level I need are at different times/on different days. We already have one child involved in competitive Irish dance. Most of the time I am the only adult available to drive, and I can't be everywhere at once.

I'm pretty sure dd7 would be happiest with gymnastics; ds9 likes the apparatus but I'm not sure he is the kind of kid who is going to specialize to the extent of wanting to do one activity for many hours a week; he might possibly be happier with tumbling, which seems to be a bit less intensive than team gymnastics (and is a lot closer to home).

Truthfully my head is spinning trying to figure all of this out! It is really too bad that there are no day time options for some of these activities (introductory level classes can and have been arranged for homeschoolers, but when they move on to more serious training everything is in the evening).

DS is a competitive gymnast. His gym also has a tramp (as in trampoline) and tumble team. There aren't very many of those teams, so while the boys teams have to travel across the state for meets, it may be even worse for tramp and tumble teams.

His coach said the scoring is a bit easier for tumbling. At our gym, I think the tumblers meet four hours per week total, which is less than the boys and girls teams.

Regular gymnastics will help them get much stronger than just tumbling. It's fun watching my 8 year old start to develop little pecs and now the vertical lines outlining a future six-pack. Of course, if you are talking just rec classes, then I wouldn't expect a huge improvement in strength. One hour per week isn't enough to build muscle.

• Like 2

Does your gym have a boys' gymnastic's team? It's really a whole different thing than girls' gymnastics. If your gym does not have a boys' program, your son's opportunities in gymnastics as a sport will be limited, in which case I might stick with tumbling for him. Age nine is kind of late to start in competitive gymnastics, to tell the truth, so if you think he's interested in that, I'd seek out a team for him as soon as possible.

My son is ten and has been on a team for three years. He is one of the oldest in his level (level 5); most of the kids on the team are younger than he is.

• Like 2

If they want to be on a team, I would find out what a typical season's meet schedule is like. In my state, I think the tramp and tumble meets are co-ed, while most of the other meets aren't. That may make coordinating schedules much easier. I have two boys, so if the youngest wants to compete, it will work out because all the boys levels go to all the same meets (except for one that only high schoolers attend).

• Like 1

I talked to the nearest gym yesterday, they have a program for boys who are working towards teams that is three hours twice a week. That would be the most practical, especially if we could find someone who lives near us and wants to car pool. We couldn't start until summer though as we have other obligations on those days at the moment.

My son is ten and has been on a team for three years. He is one of the oldest in his level (level 5); most of the kids on the team are younger than he is.

Nine isn't really that old for boys. Tigger is level 5 and is 8. His teammates range from 9-12 years old. In my state, the 9-10 year old age group at the level 5 meets is always much bigger than the 8 year old group.

The boys who have started later at our gym haven't needed to repeat levels like the younger boys. One boy started level 4 at 11 and then did one year of level 5 and then was skipped to level 8. The boys on Tigger's team who started at 10-11 have didn't repeat level 4 and may not have to repeat level 5. Those who started younger often did two years of level 4 and also repeated level 5. My point is that from what I see, the older boys pick it up so much faster that they catch up quickly.

• Like 3

We couldn't start until summer though as we have other obligations on those days at the moment.

I should warn you that gymnastics practice is year round. Don't join a team unless practice is the priority. Our coach changes the practice schedule about twice a year, so it means not signing up for other regular evening activities.

• Like 2

Nine isn't really that old for boys. Tigger is level 5 and is 8. His teammates range from 9-12 years old. In my state, the 9-10 year old age group at the level 5 meets is always much bigger than the 8 year old group.

The boys who have started later at our gym haven't needed to repeat levels like the younger boys. One boy started level 4 at 11 and then did one year of level 5 and then was skipped to level 8. The boys on Tigger's team who started at 10-11 have didn't repeat level 4 and may not have to repeat level 5. Those who started younger often did two years of level 4 and also repeated level 5. My point is that from what I see, the older boys pick it up so much faster that they catch up quickly.

This is encouraging :)

The coaches who have worked with ds have said they think he would progress quickly in a serious program.

Logistics is my main problem, that and figuring out what is the best path for him. I'd like to give gymnastics a chance.

Dd7 would be easier to schedule just because there are more classes available for girls, so more flexibility.

I should warn you that gymnastics practice is year round. Don't join a team unless practice is the priority. Our coach changes the practice schedule about twice a year, so it means not signing up for other regular evening activities.

Yes, dance is the same way (it is dance that is currently interfering with gymnastics, but I don't think ds wants to continue with that past the May performance we are committed to.)

The real challenge for me though is multiple kids in different activities; my oldest will still be in dance because that is her thing, and conflicts are sure to come up. I am hoping that carpooling will be an option.

It would make things simpler for me if ds would be more communicative about what he likes and wants to do, when I try to talk with him I get grunts and non-committal responses. He needs a lot of physical activity, I think he will be a lot healthier and happier with an intense physical outlet. He's the kind of kid who could potentially be good at a variety of things--I think he could do anything from dance to gymnastics to basketball to swimming to ... and be decent at it. Schedule-wise, a year-round sport is probably going to be easier to work with than trying to juggle things seasonally; I am assuming there is some degree of consistency at least. Up till now he has done a variety of things--community soccer and basketball, recreational gymnastics and tumbling, dance. But I am thinking at this age it is time to start focusing on one thing since as people are pointing out age matters for getting into something like gymnastics. Actually, age seems to matter for most things that are intensive that way.

• 1 month later...

So I think we have a plan in place for the the next few months at least  :tongue_smilie: I talked with ds9 and dd7; ds9 says he would be happy to just stick with tumbling, which simplifies things significantly as the tumbling gym is close by and is not as much of a time commitment as gymnastics team would be. I think he is not really wanting to commit all his time to one sport, which is fine. Dd7 does want to do gymnastics team, but does not want to be at the more competitive gym. I haven't decided yet which program to put her in, the closest gym (we didn't like their recreational program but the team program may be decent) or one near dd11's dance studio. We'll probably pick one to try for the summer. She does need more intensive practice if she wants to get on a team.

Everyone will keep doing tumbling for now.

Ds4 is in a beginning gymnastics class at the one gym with a competitive boy's team; don't know where that will go--he's a big, tall 4 year old and I look at the compact level 9 and 10 male gymnasts who teach his class and think he's not got quite the build for it, but he is enjoying himself. The little boys absolutely adore their teenage teachers, I've been quite impressed with the program so far.

• Like 1

So I think we have a plan in place for the the next few months at least  :tongue_smilie: I talked with ds9 and dd7; ds9 says he would be happy to just stick with tumbling, which simplifies things significantly as the tumbling gym is close by and is not as much of a time commitment as gymnastics team would be. I think he is not really wanting to commit all his time to one sport, which is fine. Dd7 does want to do gymnastics team, but does not want to be at the more competitive gym. I haven't decided yet which program to put her in, the closest gym (we didn't like their recreational program but the team program may be decent) or one near dd11's dance studio. We'll probably pick one to try for the summer. She does need more intensive practice if she wants to get on a team.

Everyone will keep doing tumbling for now.

Ds4 is in a beginning gymnastics class at the one gym with a competitive boy's team; don't know where that will go--he's a big, tall 4 year old and I look at the compact level 9 and 10 male gymnasts who teach his class and think he's not got quite the build for it, but he is enjoying himself. The little boys absolutely adore their teenage teachers, I've been quite impressed with the program so far.

My sons take recreational tumbling & trampoline classes, and ds14 is competitive.  My guys have a more traditional gymnast build, but their coach is over 6' tall, and the gym owner once told me that height is an advantage in T&T gymnastics.

• Like 1