Menu

Talk to me Michiganers

caitlinsmom

I would avoid visiting in March to make a decision. It's typically not a pretty month in a pretty state. Lots and lots of snirt (snow+dirt). Come in May or June! I've lived here my whole life and have never desired living anywhere else. It's just that perfect :001_wub: .

:)  My dh has vacation time coming up next month (mid month) so while it's not the best, it's when we will be headed over. 

When you say South Central, any area you'd recommend looking at?

No one has mentioned Lansing area yet.  Is there a reason for this?

I used to go to camp at Interlochen up near Traverse City.  Interlochen is a great year round source of arts/music.  

It was freezing in the summer, but the cherries were mighty tasty.  

I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, so it's a totally different feel.  I miss the beauty of Michigan.   

Sparrow, what colleges are near you? Always interested in Michigan schools!

I'm within an hour of Adrian, Albion, Hillsdale, Olivet, and Spring Arbor, off the top of my head.

Snirt.... Gonna have to use that one :)

:lol: I heard it for the first time this year and thought, "Where has this word been all my life!?"

:)  My dh has vacation time coming up next month (mid month) so while it's not the best, it's when we will be headed over. 

When you say South Central, any area you'd recommend looking at?

No one has mentioned Lansing area yet.  Is there a reason for this?

I'm partial to Hillsdale and Lenawee counties :thumbup1: . Rural, but never too far away from anything.

• Like 2

Lansing is the capital and home of MSU. My youngest brother lives there.

They are probably all Wolverines! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I mentioned it a while back. There are many nice, outlying areas to Lansing. South of Hagedorn rd. gets you out of the city, close in to MSU. On the north side Charlotte area, and further south but still close enough in to take advantage of campus activities is Mason.

Just so you know, MSU AG puts out some glorious cheese. I'm trying to remember what days and times the store is open.

The area east of East Lansing south of the I-69 corridor has some lovely, hilly area with small lakes and such. I can't remember what the COL for Okemos is, but knew a family who lived rural close in to Okemos who loved it.

The Amtrak to Chicago has a stop right on MSU's campus which is very convenient. It's a fun ride into Chicago...arrives around noon in downtown Chi and is pretty cheap with kids 15 and under half price with each adult ticket.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting my thread.....

Anyone have an opinion on Mount Pleasant or Cadillac?  I saw a post on another forum that said "Well there isn't a mountain in sight and it isn't all the pleasant."  lol  That was coming from an early 20-somethig single guy so I figure I should take that with a grain of salt. lol. 

We've been in contact with a great realtor in Traverse City but as of yet there isn't much on the market in our price range. He warned us (as did all of you) that we may have to wait a while for something to open up in our range as prices are on the high side.  He gave us the suggestion that we might want to open our search are up to a wider area (currently set within 30 min of TC).  Since we have the availability to be anywhere I thought I'd check out the Grand Rapids areas you've all suggested as well.

We pushed our visit out to the end of April so hopefully there will be a lot less Snirt to see. :)

I didn't go back and read the whole thread -- but is there any possibility you could rent?  There's been a lot of great advice, but I'm not sure that there is any substitute for actually living in a place yourself.

It is an option of course but not one we really want to do.  We will be relocating our woodworking business and with that comes a shop full of tools.  We'd like to move once and save not only time but a lot of expense. 

It is an option of course but not one we really want to do.  We will be relocating our woodworking business and with that comes a shop full of tools.  We'd like to move once and save not only time but a lot of expense. 

Yeah, I get that.  Well, I've vote for Grand Rapids then but I'm not a native to the region.

Does your woodworking business depend on transporting good/getting supplies a lot?  If so, Grand Rapids might be a good area as it has a criss cross of highways.

Not much in Mount Pleasant.  Cadillac is nice and has one or more smaller inland lakes and is known for winter skiing and snowmobiling.

Grand Haven/Holland areas are nice and only 35-40 minutes from Grand Rapids but along the lakeshore if you want that type of living.  Norton Shores (between Grand Haven and Muskegon) might fit as well..

• Like 1

Does your woodworking business depend on transporting good/getting supplies a lot?  If so, Grand Rapids might be a good area as it has a criss cross of highways.

Not much in Mount Pleasant.  Cadillac is nice and has one or more smaller inland lakes and is known for winter skiing and snowmobiling.

Grand Haven/Holland areas are nice and only 35-40 minutes from Grand Rapids but along the lakeshore if you want that type of living.  Norton Shores (between Grand Haven and Muskegon) might fit as well..

We are internet sales only so as long as there is a post office and a lumber mill/store somewhere in the vicinity then we will be good.  I will check out Grand Haven as that has been mentioned a couple times.  I don't think I looked there last month.

If it were between Mt. Pleasant and Traverse City, I'd go with Traverse in a heartbeat.   

Another vote for Grand Rapids here.  If you want land, there are a number of communities with a very rural feel that are still only 20-30 minutes from downtown.  

• Like 2

Allendale is a nice area between Grand Haven and Grand Rapids.  A more rural, small town feel (but growing) that is about 20 minutes from Lake Michigan and great beaches and 20 minutes from downtown Grand Rapids for culture, big city life, top notch medical care, etc.