Menu

American history or world geography first?

I am very strongly influenced by typical 19th century practices. Stories, observational geography, nature study, and holidays were for grades K-2. Home geography was for grade 3. Elementary geography or history was started in grade 4 or 5. Neither textbook history or world geography was started before grade 4, and sometimes not until grade 5 or 6.

So, I guess I'd pick Children Around the World, even though I prefer sticking closer to home, and studying things like brooks, migrating birds, wool, grains, and Groundhog Day.

A typical grade 3 home geography

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12228/12228-h/12228-h.htm

I am very strongly influenced by typical 19th century practices. Stories, observational geography, nature study, and holidays were for grades K-2. Home geography was for grade 3. Elementary geography or history was started in grade 4 or 5. Neither textbook history or world geography was started before grade 4, and sometimes not until grade 5 or 6.

So, I guess I'd pick Children Around the World, even though I prefer sticking closer to home, and studying things like brooks, migrating birds, wool, grains, and Groundhog Day.

A typical grade 3 home geography

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12228/12228-h/12228-h.htm

Good to know, but I still need to pick one or the other - there is no 3rd choice. :)

ETA: Oh Hunter, Thank you!  That link is rockin awesome! Thank you, thank you! What a fabulous book - do you have any other great ones you know of teaching other subjects, like maybe nature study or sciences?

Topic-wise (I'm not familiar with the specific resources you listed) I'd probably choose the Children of the World first, since hearing about other kids seems to spark interest in most kids I've encountered.  It also seems to encourage a less insular curiosity about the wide world, instead of restricting it to one, more localized region.  That said, if my kid(s) showed a particular interest in one or the other right away, I'd go with that, regardless of my own preference.  I do know that my own childhood education was rather sparse on the world geography front, and I'm a bit biased towards making sure that doesn't happen with my kids' generation (so far as I can help it).

This is a kindergartner or first grader? I'd go for geography. You can do map puzzles, draw rough maps of continents, play map games. As you learn about each area, you can do a bit of history, look at some art, read a folk tale, cook a regional meal, maybe listen to music, play a game or watch a few minutes of a children's program in that language. It'll be a fun overview of the world in a kid- friendly way. The next year I'd start history with Ancients.