Menu

Accountability 2/22-2/28

Oh my! I'll move my post over to your thread, it would be too confusing to have two at once.

It is funny, I checked right before I started my thread to see if one had been started this week. We posted within a minute of each other by the time stamp :)

• Like 1

We are coming back from our mid-winter break, and I spent most of last week resting and thinking over where we are and what I want to do about it. Got some new ideas on history and science that I will be easing into this week to see if they are more interesting to me. 

We got through Latin and Math with a minimum amount of yelping and growling about it.  :001_rolleyes: First week off a layoff is always a hard run out of the gate.

• Like 1

We're gradually ramping back up to full school mode. I'm finding that I have more energy even with a newborn to take care of than I did during the pregnancy.

Impressive! 

I want energy. I have been seriously dragging my tail for the last month. I blame it on the weather. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

Impressive! 

I want energy. I have been seriously dragging my tail for the last month. I blame it on the weather. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I was really, really dragging all through the pregnancy so it was kind of a "nowhere to go but up" situation...

What is the weather like where you are? It's cold but not excessively so here, and we have had very little snow. Unlike the New England folks...

• Like 2

quick pop-in- I'm restricting my internet usage these days (for Lent) so I'll be scarce---

So glad to see you are doing well maize!

Critterfixer- it is cold and nasty here too, the local schools were out all week for snow and ice and will be tomorrow as well. We've had some record colds and tons of snow (for us).

It was a bit of a breather with having all of our appointments/events cancelled for the week, I guess I needed a people break, now I'm ready for spring but the weather is not looking too promising for the foreseeable future.

We took 1 day off but that was due to ickiness, we seem to be passing a weird stomach bug around, it has been very mild for the most part, as such things go but still not a lot of fun. I'm not feeling too great myself but hoping that it passes without getting worse.

It was an ok week for school, all things considered. I wasn't able to get to our appointments since I couldn't get the van out, so we'll have early days Tue/Thurs but that is much better than the 10 am appointments I did have. 

• Like 2

We had six weeks of solid cloud (the kids were tracking sun/cloud/sunny w/cloud all January so I *know* this for a fact! THREE days of sunny with cloud, NO days of solid sun for the entire MONTH!! and February was a lot of snow and sleet)but finally, finally, we see sunshine almost every day now :) Spring may come after all, but in my area, I'm very careful to consider it winter until at least April, if not May. No use setting yourself up for disappointment lol!

I've been doing all my afternoon stuff in the morning so I can get some history done this afternoon. I can't skip, we're too far behind as it is! But my in-laws are really hanging in here :P Usually they're gone well before noon but today, because I was sort of counting on it, they're happy to stay longer lol.

Maize, newborns (generally) are blissful. Get as much done as you can, enjoy it! It's the 6 months-18 months that always give me a run for my money! Happy baby moon to your whole family :)

• Like 3

Maize, newborns (generally) are blissful. Get as much done as you can, enjoy it! It's the 6 months-18 months that always give me a run for my money! Happy baby moon to your whole family :)

Isn't that the truth! My littlest one is soooo much easier this year, last year (7mo-16 month old) was so incredibly hard. This year I can handle it, next year it should be a cake walk, right? :)

maize- thanks for the well wishes, really we cannot complain, this year has been a relatively easy one for illness(knock on wood!!!)

and ladies we only have about 1 month until Spring, woohoo! (said looking out at the snow covered ground- I'm so ready to see it melt!).

• Like 3

Hi ladies!! Last week was a little blah for me, but I'm hoping this week is much better, I think it will be because it's the end of Feb.. Dh and I are having dinner with friends and I still need to do some planning for the next week.

Maize--the newborn phase is easier than the moving phase! Hoping you can post pictures soon, if you're comfortable doing that. Love seeing newborns!!

Critter--hope your week was relaxing and your history plans sound promising.

Soror--so glad you guys aren't feeling too bad. Stomach bugs are the absolute worst.

Tawlas--glad you're enjoying the in laws, but hoping the clear out soon for you.

• Like 2

Hi everyone :)

Soror, I'm not sure it's entirely fair for you to limit internet use for Lent, because that means you are depriving the rest of us of some of your posts!

My big excitement is that our new blog is now live! This is important for me, because it's my form of recording what we do for the state education authorities as well as for our own use.

I would really appreciate if someone could please pop over and post a comment, so that I can check that it's accessible (and, of course, I would love to "see" you!)

www.snowflakes.id.au

Other than that, I have been building our daily/weekly rhythm. We now have all the main weekly things I wanted to do in place, and daily we have math and music first thing every morning. Everything else has been done as and when we feel like it, but now it's time to incorporate language arts into the daily rhythm, so that is my main task for this week. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone :)

Soror, I'm not sure it's entirely fair for you to limit internet use for Lent, because that means you are depriving the rest of us of some of your posts!

My big excitement is that our new blog is now live! This is important for me, because it's my form of recording what we do for the state education authorities as well as for our own use.

I would really appreciate if someone could please pop over and post a comment, so that I can check that it's accessible (and, of course, I would love to "see" you!)

www.snowflakes.id.au

Other than that, I have been building our daily/weekly rhythm. We now have all the main weekly things I wanted to do in place, and daily we have math and music first thing every morning. Everything else has been done as and when we feel like it, but now it's time to incorporate language arts into the daily rhythm, so that is my main task for this week. 

I would love to see your blog but it isn't coming up for me :(

• Like 1

Hi ladies!! Last week was a little blah for me, but I'm hoping this week is much better, I think it will be because it's the end of Feb.. Dh and I are having dinner with friends and I still need to do some planning for the next week.

Maize--the newborn phase is easier than the moving phase! Hoping you can post pictures soon, if you're comfortable doing that. Love seeing newborns!!

Critter--hope your week was relaxing and your history plans sound promising.

Soror--so glad you guys aren't feeling too bad. Stomach bugs are the absolute worst.

Tawlas--glad you're enjoying the in laws, but hoping the clear out soon for you.

Here you go!

post-70122-0-78170800-1423852649_thumb.jpg

post-70122-0-78170800-1423852649_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

IsabelC-I couldn't get the site to come up for me this morning, but that could be due to the fact I have Turtlenet, the slowest, most unreliable internet service available for those of us who live in holes on tops of mountains. 

Maise-that's a pretty little baby!

Tawlas-We are actually expecting more snow today. Got about a half-inch last night, but it doesn't pack well enough for a snowball or a snowman. Maybe our next round will be better. I'm trying to improve my attitude, because in four months I will be complaining about 100F in the shade, and the chickens will need their ice water instead of the hot water I'm having to carry today.

Soror-hope you and yours get over your stomach stuff quickly and without incident.

Fixing to get the day started here, about a half-hour earlier than usual. My carrot is that if we get things done in short order, we should have most of the afternoon to play outside in. That's kind of mean of me--because I happen to know that the temperature isn't even going to touch freezing today, and any play will probably be dash out/dash in because we are not really outfitted for this kind of wet and cold. But I'll make hot chocolate. That should make things nice. 

Anyway, I hope to get through Latin, Math and Writing in short order. If we don't get to history and science today, that's okay.

• Like 1

Morning ladies :) It must be Monday. Somehow I managed to get into a grump for no really good reason and ended up harassing my kids for a solid half hour. Mostly because my dsd8 wasn't unloading the dishwasher right and my Ker wasn't doing number-line adding quickly enough. Brother. Went to my office for a 15 minute reset (listened to the audio of homeschooling from rest lol) and I hope I've recovered. Kids are out playing in the sun and snow and I'm drinking coffee with my love. Should help ;)

Regular day today, nothing to report in that area! If I can get a hold of this funk, it should be a good day. . . fingers crossed anyhow.

• Like 3

Congratulations Maize! Baby is beautiful!

I'm hoping this week goes well. It's been a rough year so far (calendar year, not school year). I like to think that we're pretty hardy when it comes to getting sick but man, at least one person has been sick every single week so far this year. We've had the stomach bug, pink eye, multiple colds... it's getting really old. Right now I've got everyone as quarantined as I can because I really want this cycle of sickness to broken before #4 arrives. I've done the whole newborn with a cold thing once before and it is an experience that I have no desire to repeat.

School got done this morning. DS1 was so, so excited as we've typically been our sickest over the weekends so it's been a few weeks since we've managed to get school done on a Monday. It felt really, really good to just start the week off normally. I've also been "making" myself take time to start planning next year - not only because I need to but because I desperately need something to focus on that's not sickness related.

I've got a couple of appointments this week - one tomorrow morning (which means no school but the kids will have fun playing with Grandma who is coming over to watch them) and then my home visit with my midwife is Thursday afternoon (won't interfere with school) and I'm excited for that! Part of me can't believe that I'm a month away from a brand new tiny person.

Here is to hoping for a healthy, warm, happy, non miserable week for everyone!

• Like 4

Isabel, I can't get your blog to load either.

DS is sick, so now that the weather is no longer an obstacle, we're stuck at home anyway. Fortunately we were able to do some school. He's now watching a video about the planets. I'm hoping he's better in time for a piano lesson Wednesday, or he won't have one at all this month.

Have a good week, everybody!

• Like 3

Got through Latin, Math and part of the language arts (spelling and grammar). Right now I've given up on convincing them that writing sentences containing transitive verbs is not part of a diabolical plan to ruin their childhood. I fed them and sent them out to dance in the snow globe outside. 

Today has been the day of distracting conversation. Nearly every assignment given has resulted in a leap into areas totally unrelated to the matter at hand. 

It's a pain that it has to be so cold today. I'd love nothing more than the have them spend more than two minutes out in the snow today, but it's 25F, and the fun seems to be in bolting in and out of the door instead of staying outside. They seriously need to gallop about for a while and get some bucking and kicking out of their systems.

ETA: Suspended grammar for the daylight hours and sent them out to find their friend who got out of school today, the lucky dog! Don't think that transitive verbs can quite compete with an inch of snow, so I'm not even going to try!

• Like 2

Well. We got the morning stuff done. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. I let exasperation show once - when my Ker snuck off to draw on the whiteboard while I'm reading (not usually a problem) but with a non-whiteboard marker. At least it washed off, with a bit of elbow grease. I find it hard to believe I'm in a frump today. The weather is beautiful! The kids attitude was adequate (probably mostly rubbing off my attempts to cheerful if I'm being honest). I hate when I'm grumpy for now reason.

Ah well. Kids are out playing again. I"m going to tidy up the morning's work, then lie in a patch of sunshine and read an easy novel I got from the library last week. I'll probably have some chocolate too . . .

In a while I"ll call them in for hot chocolate and a snack and we'll read from the book basket for a while before quiet time. Surely I can manage that!!

• Like 1

All right, where is everyone? How come I have to double post? I feel like . . . well. A little pathetic :P

Looks like I'm heading into town today. No kids! What a treat! I'm really just going to hang out in the library. We're going to a different town than my usual, so there will be a different selection of books for history and science studies. I can access them online, but that's different than perusing the shelves. Plus I'll have time to get a few books for me too! All that without a nearly two year old to chase around!

So school as per normal this morning, just skipping the book basket this afternoon. Kids will probably hang around outside with dh - I'm sure he'll set them to some chores so I'm looking forward to a full wood box when I get home lol.

• Like 3

Through Latin and Math already. Our friend across the road is out again for the day as the roads aren't set to start the thaw until this afternoon, if the sun ever comes out!  The boys are in a hurry to get done so they can get out and play in the snow again. So they are moving at a good clip.

I, on the other hand, wrenched the fool out of my lower back when I executed a perfect banana-slip bend on the ice yesterday. So I'm rather sunk in the misery of heating pads and pain relievers since back or no back, somebody has to do the work around here!

Still, I hope to get through spelling and the rest of the lesson on transitive verbs/intransitive verbs before noon.

• Like 1

We got a lot done yesterday, but apparently it wore us out so much that the kids are sick today. They are lounging about listening to The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place on Audible.

Except for the one who is building a boat out of folding chairs and broomsticks in the middle of the living room. I should at least make him sit down and do math :D

• Like 2

Jeez, rather a lot of miserable days! I'm sorry to hear none of you seem to be in top shape. Best wishes for speedy recoveries all around. It's 830, just about to eat a late supper after putting the kids to bed. Town was divine. Nothing like living an hour out of (a small) town to make spending an unexpected afternoon there a big event lol!

One more normal day of school tomorrow, then a less-than-half day on Thursday before piano lessons and swimming :) It keeps me going come hump-day

• Like 1

We might actually have a normal school day today. The snow is all but gone. I suspect, but am not certain, that school is in today, so there should not be the distractions of social time. Potentially, the much awaited dragon movie for movie night is arriving today. And it is pizza night. So attitudes and enthusiasm should be good.

The back is a little better. I can walk without being bent in half. Stupid ice on the driveway. :glare:

I stayed up last night going through a series of History Channel stuff on the Romans. Not worth using. So I'll have to hit the library again for some other prospects. 

I plan to get to history today and see how we do with what I have lined up for reading. We have some writing to get to, then we start a new plot next week. I think the boys have finally got a handle on the transitive/intransitive verb thing. It escapes me exactly what we are doing for science--oh, I remember--we are doing insects again. That should be good, since bugs are a favorite, and I actually do have our favorite science documentary for insects. (I credit this guy with being the main reason both boys want to learn French. They love his accent, and he's so darned cool that they want to go to Quebec to meet him.)

• Like 4

Well. We got breakfast, kindergarten and chores done. Now just taking a coffee break. Full on school today . . . Less than inspired, but I have the day's work sitting right there, so it's just a matter of herding the cats - um, kids - to the table at the appropriate times. Wish me luck!

Critter - glad to hear your back is a bit better. Back pain is just awful!

Wistful ridge, I do that sometimes too lol!

• Like 2

I should learn to knock on wood, or just slap my fingers with a ruler before posting first thing in the morning. :glare:

We did Latin, but they didn't finish the translation. They will have to tackle what they didn't get done tonight.

The math test didn't go too well. Both boys lost about ten points each for simply not paying attention to what they were doing. One boy even spelled his name wrong--it was that kind of day.

I just got done with spelling and grammar, after having to tell one child that the object of the lesson was not to use the exact same subject for every sentence and only to vary the verb.

My back is complaining ferociously about having to wrangle the firewood into the fireplace today, because I'm out of go-for wood and down to monster logs. 

And the much awaited dragon movie (along with my history biography books) got delayed by the weather. 

I am this close to calling the day a bust and watching the insect program for the rest of the afternoon while sitting in the recliner with a heating pad on my lumbar spine and a blanket wrapped around me from nose to toes.

ETA: On a positive note, I skimmed the next CLE Light Unit and found that they get into some Logic stuff. Looking forward to that. Writing will be from an already outlined section of a story we did before break, and reviewed yesterday, so they could pretty much be independent. And my leftover potato soup hit the spot--so it isn't all doom and gloom.

• Like 3

Critterfixer- My son had nearly a week where his brain wasn't working, I guess related to being sick, it seems for him that any kind of bug drains his brain. 

mama25- I hope it sticks!

Moving along here, this stomach bug just won't die and although it isn't terrible it isn't great either. There was also a mix up with appointments and another thing I had scheduled for last night is now this morning, thankfully it is short. Anyway, none of that is helping things. 

On the plus side, ds finished Treasured Conversations yesterday! YA! Today he will re-start WRNarrative 2 (we've done half of this already), he is dying to use some more creativity in his writing (as I've told him when he is writing non-fiction he cannot make up details to embellish the story- he wants everything to be rather fantastic) but it also works on outlining as well so he'll be using those skills too. He isn't up to the task of entirely inventing stories on his own but this will give him the ideas and structure that he needs. Math is, well its going, I believe he will finish what he needs to hit in CLE5 pretty easily by the end of this year, past that I'm studying ahead to decide our plan moving forward. I've got Foerster's Algebra ordered as it is on my considering list and it was cheap anyway, I've been dying to do more math. Maybe I'm a bit odd but I hate to look up math answers as I like working them out myself, especially seeing what I can work in my head. I have noticed with CLE that even with ds' work I rarely have to look up a problem whereas with BA it wasn't unusual for me to look them up, especially the challenge problems

• Like 1

Morning ladies. It's ten after six here. Seems my ds7 has slept in for a change! We do math at 6 and he pops his head into my office when he's ready to start. usually he's here early. We go to town today so i doubt there will be much time to make up for it, but oh well. We're sort of killing time in math until his CLE arrives anyhow. If I had known, though, I think I would have slept longer lol. I've beenr eally tired lately!

As I said, today is a town day for piano and swimming lessons as well as a few errands. It's my s/o's bday next week so I'd like to take each of the kids shopping for a few little things. And I think I'm going to make a salted caramel chocolate pie (with an orea cookie crust?). So I need a few ingredients. Mostly oreos lol. Loooooove oreos, can't keep them in the house for my health's sake!

Before we go I'll do a quick math/reading session with each kid and an hour of history. We're behind in history. Well, behind only because I know how hard it will be to do history on a beautiful June morning! Trying to get a lot done now, rather than procrastinating then never actually finishing.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 2

I'm feeling better today, just trying not to overdo it and hurt things again. We will have the usual suspects in the line-up today, except we have to finish that pesky Latin translation today. Didn't get to it last night.

If we are lucky, our movies and books will be in today. That would be a good finish on the week. 

• Like 3

Ahhhh, snow.  This last blizzard was the last straw for our brave little house.  School for the past week or so has been squeezed in around adjusters and inspections and calls to roofers and the endless shifting of stuff from leaky room to leaky room to leaky room as we attempt to repair the damages.  

Blech.

On the positive side, the break from our ordinary routine inspired ds7 to pull out some math games and flash cards, so he has spent hours each day, of his own volition, drilling his math facts. 

Maize:  Beautiful, warm, squishy babies make me so.happy.  Thanks for sharing your pic!  Hoping you will all be on the mend quickly.  Rest up today. 

Critter:  Glad to hear your back is improving.  Hope your supply of movies and books comes in!

Tawlas: Enjoy town day with your kids!  I grew up in the middle of nowhere and those trips to civilization were always so much fun.

Soror:  Boo on the stomach bug.   :thumbdown:   Even when it's not a "bad" case, it can really drag down a week.  Praying all improves, and quickly!

• Like 2

Kiddo is still sick enough that he resists the hard stuff--we finally got through handwriting, but I decided art can wait until tomorrow. Couch time was good, though. He's kind of in love with SOTW. :001_wub:  Plus Beatrix Potter is our author of the week, and he likes rabbits.

He's out playing in the snow while it lasts. We may not get any more for the year after this storm.

• Like 3

ducklings! Gah! Hope the repairs can be made soon and on budget. a tricky time of year for roof repairs . . .

Thank you...Thankfully, we found out yesterday that we can hold off on the major exterior work until spring as long as we continue to rake the roof.  On the plus side, we had planned a new roof this summer anyway, and much of the interior work will be covered.  This isn't exactly the timing I would have liked, but it could have been so much worse.  The biggest challenge is just adapting to school (and life) while we are completing the work. :willy_nilly:  (Flexibility isn't my strong point; guess I'll be growing in that area.) 

• Like 4

Thank you...Thankfully, we found out yesterday that we can hold off on the major exterior work until spring as long as we continue to rake the roof.  On the plus side, we had planned a new roof this summer anyway, and much of the interior work will be covered.  This isn't exactly the timing I would have liked, but it could have been so much worse.  The biggest challenge is just adapting to school (and life) while we are completing the work.  :willy_nilly:  (Flexibility isn't my strong point; guess I'll be growing in that area.) 

:grouphug: Oh, good luck! I almost lost my mind during the kitchen work last summer. 

We are through with the morning subjects, and only lack writing, history and science on the afternoon. After that we are going to get out movies--the books are not in yet. :glare: