Menu

CLE Reading users...a question for you.

Sue G in PA

I purchased a used set of CLE Reading 5 for my 6th grader who struggles with reading. The set came with the light units 502 and 503. Would I be missing anything terribly important or foundational if I skipped 501 and just had my son do 502 and 503? I don't want to have to pay the shipping for 2 silly light units. :( Thanks.

Did you get the TM? If so, maybe do some orally from that LU? I am only in Reading 300 so that may not apply to 500 but we had to do that as the set we bought was missing 301. Worked out fine in our case.

Past 3, the TM's are optional and much less comprehensive, and I only end up using the answer keys.  Reading is a big change between 3 and 4.  :)

I purchased a used set. So only 502 and 503 were included (those were the only 2 she had). I would have to purchase 501, 504 and 505 but wondered if I could WAIT, skip 501 and start at 502? Make sense? Is there anything foundational that my son would miss if we skipped 501? I've never used CLE Reading before. 

Have a look at the Scope & Sequence.  Here is what it says 501 covers:

Vocabulary words

Cause and effect
Identifying strong, active verbs

Describing story characters Identifying similes
Defining words from context

Choosing facts to support a statement

Writing progressive degrees of a concept

Working with personification

Proving or disproving statements about a story

Identifying and interpreting figures of speech

Completing analogies
Inferring facts not directly stated

Understanding circumstantial evidence and proof

Defining and using homographs

Understanding the term idiom

Interpreting common idioms

Answering five W questions

Numbering story events in order

Telling what story characters learned from the way God worked

Listing traits of story characters

Working with rhythm and rhyme scheme in poetry 

Actually, this is their shipping rates........

Regular orders up to $45.00 are charged $4.95 for shipping. Orders from $45.01-$200.00 are charged 11% of the order subtotal.  Orders from $200.01-$500.00 are charged 10% of the order subtotal. Orders over $500.00 are charged 8% of the subtotal. 

You could live without it :)  Seriously--here you are, jumping in at 500, never having done 100-400, you have already missed a lot; what's one more month's worth?  Think of it that way-----  Buy it if you want, but I don't think it's going to make a HUGE difference :)

We like CLE REading a lot, but I will give you a heads-up that it gets a little hairier in 500--it was all rainbows and light and easy until 400, but there is a lot more analytical stuff in 500, not just regurgitate--GREAT stuff, but my boys struggle a lot more (but come out with some good skills).

B

Actually, this is their shipping rates........

Regular orders up to $45.00 are charged $4.95 for shipping. Orders from $45.01-$200.00 are charged 11% of the order subtotal. Orders from $200.01-$500.00 are charged 10% of the order subtotal. Orders over $500.00 are charged 8% of the subtotal.

Thanks for clarifying my error. I hadn't read about the shipping on the website, but called them to ask about shipping rates recently before I ordered a few things from them. They told me on the phone the shipping was 11% unless I ordered the larger amount to bring it to 10%. My order was just a tad over the $45, I didn't know it was a flat rate of under $45. I'll keep that in mind as I was thinking of ordering just a couple small things from them for next school year.

Thanks for clarifying my error. I hadn't read about the shipping on the website, but called them to ask about shipping rates recently before I ordered a few things from them. They told me on the phone the shipping was 11% unless I ordered the larger amount to bring it to 10%. My order was just a tad over the $45, I didn't know it was a flat rate of under $45. I'll keep that in mind as I was thinking of ordering just a couple small things from them for next school year.

Oh my goodness, no worries!! I just wanted the OP to know that the shipping fees would be more than a dollar and change in case that changed anything for her.  :001_smile: