Menu

Has anyone gotten over seasickness for good?

*lifeoftheparty*

All this crappy winter weather has me daydreaming about our (mine and DH) plans to eventually get a sailboat.

We live near Annapolis- so places to keep a boat, and sailing schools, etc. are plentiful. There are loads of people who are always looking for people to help man their crew. So, plenty of opportunity for practice.

We will someday be able to sell our townhouse (that we'll be renting out in a few years)and buy a boat. So, that's covered...

I feel like owning a sailboat, and being able to leave for the winter and sail to the Bahamas and the carribean truly is a possibility for us.

Here's tge problem... I get *horribly* sea sick. Like, *awful*.

Has anyone gotten over this permanently, without having to live on Dramamine?

It'll be so depressing if we do all this planning to make this happen and then we can't do it because I get seasick.

Am I setting myself up for a letdown??

Is there anything I can take it do now?

Anyone have any cool sailing to warm weather destinations stories?

I have been reading the Laho wind blog.... I love it....

Nope. I had to quit sailing.
I grew up in a boating family, there were years where every weekend we were boating, I crossed the Atlantic on a merchant freighter... I can sail on the coast on lasers & hobie cats etc but I get terribly motion sick if I'm out in a bigger boat on choppy water.  Last time I was out I was considering getting my offshore certificates. Had done my bookwork & dryland knowledge. I started to get sick onboard during an afternoon in Howe Sound, then got even sicker when got to land. I have that stupid motion sickness that can hit me even harder trying to get my land legs back. I gave up sailing.

I've been told that if I just made it through several days I'd probably be ok but at this point, I wouldn't go anywhere without dramamine & actually probably a scopolamine patch.

oh & hey if that wasn't enough, a couple summers ago I had a bout of BPPV - I was motion sick on land from the vertigo....

I fly drugged too... & I can't be a passenger in a car without getting sick so I have to be the driver....

sorry to be a bummer. I gave up boats for dogs. Everytime I pay a vet bill I think if this was a boat, I'd have spent 10X as much... LOL

That isn't what I wanted to hear, lol....

I don't get motion sick in cars, unless I try to read or something...

We rode jetboats in Niagara Falls, and I was really worried that I would get sick, so I took ginger capsules everyday, started a week before we left- and it worked! I didn't get seasick at all...

But I was nervous the whole time that I would...

I've not been on boats enough, but I have pretty severe motion sickness. Back of a car, plane, you name it, I'm going to get sick if I'm not on dramamine. I can't even read or look at a map in the car, I end up nauseous. I'm 47 and have been this way most of my life. Water bothers me too, time on a boogie board made me sick on our last vacation. 

Patches and bands don't touch it. I have to take a hefty dose of Dramamine and watch what I eat and drink beforehand. I can't imagine living on a boat like that. 

I spent my teen years in a sea scout unit.  (LOVE telling my son I was a boy scout!)  And I never got sea sick.  I was the one sent below in rough seas to make lunch.  My stomach was that good.  But get me on a cruise ship and I am toast.  I knew it the moment they pushed away from the dock.  Ginger helped a bit.  I was much better once dh got to the ship's store and got some dramamine.  And then a week after being on land I was still rocking.  Next time I'm trying a patch.

That isn't what I wanted to hear, lol....

I don't get motion sick in cars, unless I try to read or something...

We rode jetboats in Niagara Falls, and I was really worried that I would get sick, so I took ginger capsules everyday, started a week before we left- and it worked! I didn't get seasick at all...

But I was nervous the whole time that I would...

If you can get away with ginger as your only aid, I say sign up for some classes now and see how it goes.  I would not consider living on a boat if I had to take anything stronger on a daily basis.  It is one thing to use the patch for a week on a cruise, it is a whole other ballgame to keep them on for months at a time.  I'd say maybe if you only had to take Bonine if the seas were getting choppy.

I am able to read in the car after doing some of my daughter's vision therapy exercises. It used to really get me quite sick. The vision therapist mentioned this, it may help, its called vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Now, which exercises helped.... I *think* its the ones where you gaze ahead, not looking in a fixed locked gaze, and move your finger up and down, then side to side (think a plus sign) and let your eyes follow the finger, NOT moving your head. Be careful, it can really make you sick. I discovered I moved my head, rather than my eyes to look and read. You work up, and try to not focus too hard all the time (I did), and always make sure you are moving your eyes, rather than your head.

I am able to read in the car after doing some of my daughter's vision therapy exercises. It used to really get me quite sick. The vision therapist mentioned this, it may help, its called vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Now, which exercises helped.... I *think* its the ones where you gaze ahead, not looking in a fixed locked gaze, and move your finger up and down, then side to side (think a plus sign) and let your eyes follow the finger, NOT moving your head. Be careful, it can really make you sick. I discovered I moved my head, rather than my eyes to look and read. You work up, and try to not focus too hard all the time (I did), and always make sure you are moving your eyes, rather than your head.

Oh thank you!!! I have never ever heard of anything like this for motion sickness!!

I am going to ask the eye dr. about it when I go get my eyes checked.

If you can get away with ginger as your only aid, I say sign up for some classes now and see how it goes.  I would not consider living on a boat if I had to take anything stronger on a daily basis.  It is one thing to use the patch for a week on a cruise, it is a whole other ballgame to keep them on for months at a time.  I'd say maybe if you only had to take Bonine if the seas were getting choppy.

That's the plan. Either this Christmas, or next, we are going to put sailing lessons on our Christmas list :) We're not in a huge hurry, because we have a 2 year old and might try for another soon.

But I am thinking that we will get DS10 lessons for his 12th birthday or something, and all do it together.

We wouldn't live on the boat fulltime, but would like to build up to spending most of the winter somewhere tropical :)

The thing is- nether one of us knows a THING about sailing... so it's going to take years, maybe a decade, before we are confident enough to sail all the way from Maryland to the Carribean, lol.

I envision something like Captain Ron :)

Oh thank you!!! I have never ever heard of anything like this for motion sickness!!

I am going to ask the eye dr. about it when I go get my eyes checked.

Unfortunately, a lot of eye doctor's haven't heard of vision therapy, and some even question its validity. And of course I don't agree, being that my daughter was helped quite a bit. The vestibular rehabilitation therapy supposedly is its own category (and there are practitioners better than others, so you want good recommendations), but use that phrasing, and call around. If there are larger medical centers near you, that would be a good place to start.

Unfortunately, a lot of eye doctor's haven't heard of vision therapy, and some even question its validity. And of course I don't agree, being that my daughter was helped quite a bit. The vestibular rehabilitation therapy supposedly is its own category (and there are practitioners better than others, so you want good recommendations), but use that phrasing, and call around. If there are larger medical centers near you, that would be a good place to start.

Good to know, thanks. Now that I think about it- I remembered that one of our friends is getting Vision Therapy for her son. I'll ask her, and Google it.

We are in the DC/Baltimore/Annapolis triangle, so I'm sure there is something....