Menu

Kolbe syllabus w Miller-Levine biology

I have some questions about the Kolbe syllabus (not the online course). I looked at the sample available which helped a bit.

1. Are the projects all papers?

2. What do you do about a midterm or final?

3. What do you think of the online components? Useful? Busy work?

4. Has anyone yet used the syllabus with the ipad version of the newer Macaw book? (I read that Kolbe is working on the syllabus for Macaw but right now only Dragonfly is available.)

We are going to need a fully-planned biology for next year as dd's schedule may be crazy heavy with other subjects. Biology is her least-liked science. Something attractive (like the ipad version w a Macaw Kolbe syllabus) would be more likely to "get done" with a minimum of complaining.

Darn, you need light, eh? I was going to tell you that we really like the Campbell book.

Have you just looked for syllabi on-line that use the Miller-Levine text?

Yeah, with her proposed schedule not year, the honors-level from Kolbe would be the maximum. Campbell is just out (older dd used it).

I really want something that comes with tests for that class. I'll be busy with psychology, history, environmental science, and potentially calculus. I know my limits!

Your limits!  Snort. As far as I have seen, you have no limits, Luckymama. I am in awe. Two advanced classes at most and I am on the floor crying.

I have to run a package to the post office, but I bet you I can find you a syllabus with all kinds of links and probably tests as well. :D

Course descriptions, la la la. What course descriptions? What microecon planning? Luckymama needs help. That's the ticket.

From our experience:

1) Yes, projects appear to be all papers.  Some require some outside research.  I think they are all a part of the Honors sequence though-not the regular schedule.

2)  Totally skipping the midterm and final and just using their exams.  They have six exams over the year long course.  Exams include vocabulary matching, fill in the blanks, multiple choice, short answer, and essay question.  Some sections for regular students and some for honors.  One could create an exam from unused questions for a midterm and final (easier to do for honors than for regular due to material covered).

3)  I think the art could be useless but the labs aren't all bad.  It is useful as a review method for those who are a bit more visual.  Not very time consuming.  Self tests are also in the text.

4) I wouldn't worry about using the newer text nor do I think there is an advantage to the newer text.  (I worried about this quite a bunch but it has been just fine.)

Also, if you won't be completing the religion portion there are a few test questions you will need to edit or eliminate and one or two projects that may need to be tweaked to suit your needs.  None of this requires much effort on the instructors part-just an FYI notice.

From our experience:

1) Yes, projects appear to be all papers. Some require some outside research. I think they are all a part of the Honors sequence though-not the regular schedule.

2) Totally skipping the midterm and final and just using their exams. They have six exams over the year long course. Exams include vocabulary matching, fill in the blanks, multiple choice, short answer, and essay question. Some sections for regular students and some for honors. One could create an exam from unused questions for a midterm and final (easier to do for honors than for regular due to material covered).

3) I think the art could be useless but the labs aren't all bad. It is useful as a review method for those who are a bit more visual. Not very time consuming. Self tests are also in the text.

4) I wouldn't worry about using the newer text nor do I think there is an advantage to the newer text. (I worried about this quite a bunch but it has been just fine.)

Also, if you won't be completing the religion portion there are a few test questions you will need to edit or eliminate and one or two projects that may need to be tweaked to suit your needs. None of this requires much effort on the instructors part-just an FYI notice.

Thanks! Yeah, we'd be eliminating the religion portion---I figured I'd have to do some editing of the syllabus if we use Kolbe. The tests seem a bit busy-work-y with matching and fill-ins...but I wouldn't have to write them so that's a big plus!

I want to use the macaw edition so that we can use the ipad version :lol: $15 is very attractive!

Darn, you need light, eh? I was going to tell you that we really like the Campbell book.

Have you just looked for syllabi on-line that use the Miller-Levine text?

You will be my new hero if you find something. I have been looking for a few weeks now and I've onoly managed to find very, very bare bone syllabi that make Kolbe's syllabus attractive for ease of use.

Thanks! Yeah, we'd be eliminating the religion portion---I figured I'd have to do some editing of the syllabus if we use Kolbe. The tests seem a bit busy-work-y with matching and fill-ins...but I wouldn't have to write them so that's a big plus!

I want to use the macaw edition so that we can use the ipad version :lol: $15 is very attractive!

If you wish to eliminate the religion portion from the syllabus that is a no brainer-skip that section it is already segregated.  The projects are just as easy to edit if needed.

For the first two tests there might be one question based on religion and test three had about 3 or 4 questions.  The tests do include many short answer and essays (draw diagrams and explain being a common theme). 

Amazon does have the Dragonfly text used & delivered at less that $15.00.

Do give Kolbe a call though-they were very close to a Macaw syllabus this year-they already have it for their online class.  Perhaps next year is ready.

One thing to check-I'm not sure if the ipad text has all the same content as a print text.  I'd be sure of that before using it for this class.  I also think that through Kolbe you might get access to the online version of the Dragonfly text-I think that is part of the Person website access.

You will be my new hero if you find something. I have been looking for a few weeks now and I've onoly managed to find very, very bare bone syllabi that make Kolbe's syllabus attractive for ease of use.

I am thinking I might have to eat my words.  I had no problem finding several syllabi for the Campbell book and an amazing teacher's website that every kind of resource I could want in order to keep up with ds in his public school class.  I was hoping the terrific Biology Junction site would utilize the "Macaw" edition for her regular Bio classes, but no joy there either.

I'll keep looking. If I print out the table of contents and then start plugging in some of the chapter numbers and titles, I should score.

I'll keep looking. If I print out the table of contents and then start plugging in some of the chapter numbers and titles, I should score.

Something like this?

http://hausclass.mccaskey.wikispaces.net/Syllabus+for+Biology

Someone did upload the pdf of the textbook for her class (lewelma found the link) so if anyone wants to compare with iPad/iBook version they can

https://sites.google.com/a/eths202.org/e-town-chemistry/resources/biology-textbook

One of the board members did a schedule for the iPad version.

http://eclectic-homeschool.com/miller-levine-biology-schedule-with-labs-macaw-i-pad-edition/

I can't speak to the Kolbe syllabus, but ds is using the regular Miller Levine in an honors bio class this year, the regular (not Foundations or any special state version) of the Macaw. I got the iPad version to go with his school issued textbook, and they are the same. If you hold the iPad vertically, it looks like the text. If you hold it horizontally, the format is slightly different, with bigger, better pix.

You can buy a companion student workbook and also a lab book. Amazon has them, but I got pristine, unused copies from a school supply place via Abebooks. Labelled as used, looked new, and came in two-three days regular shipping.p

Oh, I should add one thing about the iPad version. There are Vocab cards, sort of like a Quizlet at the end of each chapter, and a few other fun features. Not major, but nice. Try the sample, especially see how your highlighting turns into an end of chapter study guide.

Also, E O Wilson is listed as author of a visually stunning series of I iBooks on biology, and they are totally free. Seven volumes, called Life on Earth, made for iBooks. A number of the illustrations are animations -- it's a great way to show mitosis, for example, and a much more elegant way to study than searching for you tube videos,

Oh, yes those E.O. Wilson ibooks are great!!!

I just want to mention that I tried and failed to get the free online Teacher's Access Pack from Pearson.  It is a long and frustrating story.  If you go that route, maybe you will be luckier than I was.  But I have given up!

Today I sat down with the text, the SAT Subject Test Book, and Baron's Test Prep book for the SAT Bio.  I kept picking random questions from the test prep books to see if the answer was in the Miller-Levine book.  I was able to find the answer in the M/L book almost every time.  So far,  I am feeling pretty confident that it is meaty enough for the SAT test.  Just in case you were curious :)

ETA:

I did Round Two with the M-L text, the big SAT Subject Test book, and Baron's SAT Bio Prep book.  Again, I chose random questions and looked to see if the answer was in M-L.  This time, I was less successful.  I had better luck with the M test than the E test. 

To be fair and honest, I couldn't easily find some of the answers in Campbell's Concepts and Connections (which I also have on hand).  But I would be hard pressed to believe that there is much of anything on the SAT Bio test that isn't in that book.

Something like this?

http://hausclass.mccaskey.wikispaces.net/Syllabus+for+Biology

Someone did upload the pdf of the textbook for her class (lewelma found the link) so if anyone wants to compare with iPad/iBook version they can

https://sites.google.com/a/eths202.org/e-town-chemistry/resources/biology-textbook

One of the board members did a schedule for the iPad version.

http://eclectic-homeschool.com/miller-levine-biology-schedule-with-labs-macaw-i-pad-edition/

Yes, along those lines or like this one that I use for AP Biology, but it looks like Luckymama may have found what she needed.

These are Macaw-specific websites:

This is the most complete website I have found-- http://mccarterbiology.edublogs.org She gives assignments by week which could be a good pacing guide. There are assignments links, videos, labs, review links, etc. I will need some time to dig through all the information.

This http://elps.k12.mi.us/education/components/links/links.php?sectiondetailid=13493&gives the schedule with assignments and assessments for the entire year. Another potential good pacing guide.

I do not know at what level (regular or honors) those two classes are taught. Ideas?

This one is the second semester of a regular-level class at a pricey private school I know (it's not the honors level because that has weekly labs): http://wiki.archmereacademy.com/users/jchristy/weblog/95bce/BIOLOGY.html

And then this is the authors' free companion website for Macaw (not the publisher's paid version) http://millerandlevine.com/macaw/index.html

But that's all that I've found specific to the Macaw textbook that is more than just a quick schedule.

I may, just may, end up doing bio on my own instead of using the Kolbe syllabus. Gulp.

The second link, according to the teacher's syllabus is for regular bio. For the first link (McCarter) I believe it is regular bio too.

Thanks!

I'm curious to see how they compare to the full Kolbe syllabus (since I only have the sample). Anyone?

Fwiw the "regular" bio at my older dd's high school was way above the honors bio at the local public school. She was in the highest honors level but had friends in both the other classes, all of them using M-L dragonfly. There was much comparison...

Thanks!

I'm curious to see how they compare to the full Kolbe syllabus (since I only have the sample). Anyone?

Fwiw the "regular" bio at my older dd's high school was way above the honors bio at the local public school. She was in the highest honors level but had friends in both the other classes, all of them using M-L dragonfly. There was much comparison...

My older kids took biology at the ps with the M-L dragonfly and both got "A's" in their classes with minimal work.  Sailor Dude would have abused that set up and that's how we ended up in AP Biology. We really needed something between the two, but after teaching chemistry at home last year, I wasn't up for writing my own thing.

Another resource that might be helpful is the MCAT Biology. I only have the sample, but I bought the MCAT chemistry, just to help myself learn along with my 9th grader.

I found the Chemistry volume to be extremely helpful. Each chapter has detailed explanations, boy just summaries of what you should know (like some of the AP guides I looked at). At the end of each chapter, it has concepts, answers to concept checks, equations to remember, practice questions, and explanations of the answers. About $30, but well worth it, IMO.

The MCAT Biology might be worth a look.

Answering my own question from above (because I know you all are waiting with baited breath :lol:)

Kolbe regular syllabus (Dragonfly) skips chapters 6 (humans in the biosphere), 25 (plant adaptation), 27 (worms and mollusks), 28 (arthropods and echinoderms), and 33 (comparing chordata).

Kolbe honors syllabus (Dragonfly) skips chapters 6, 25, 29 (comparing invertebrates), and 33.

The East Lansing High School link from above (Macaw) skips chapters 6 (humans in the biosphere), 15 (genetic engineering), 17 (evolution of populations), and 21-29 (everything plants and animals :eek:)

The McCarter Bio link from above (Macaw) skips chapters 4 (ecosystems), 5 (populations), 6, 8 (photosynthesis), 9 (cellular respiration), and 20-35 (plants, animals, humans :eek: :eek:)

Kolbe Academy is planning to have the new syllabus available in the fall - I just called and asked.

Awesome, thanks! I might buy the syllabus and the answer key book, and then add my own hands-on labs and other activities. It's kind of silly to spend that $70 just for six exams and answers to selected textbook questions...but I really don't want to have to write exams :rolleyes:

I may have to find my big girl pants to put on :lol:

Answering my own question from above (because I know you all are waiting with baited breath :lol:)

Kolbe regular syllabus (Dragonfly) skips chapters 6 (humans in the biosphere), 25 (plant adaptation), 27 (worms and mollusks), 28 (arthropods and echinoderms), and 33 (comparing chordata).

Kolbe honors syllabus (Dragonfly) skips chapters 6, 25, 29 (comparing invertebrates), and 33.

The East Lansing High School link from above (Macaw) skips chapters 6 (humans in the biosphere), 15 (genetic engineering), 17 (evolution of populations), and 21-29 (everything plants and animals :eek:)

The McCarter Bio link from above (Macaw) skips chapters 4 (ecosystems), 5 (populations), 6, 8 (photosynthesis), 9 (cellular respiration), and 20-35 (plants, animals, humans :eek: :eek:)

Thanks for doing the leg work on this one. I am one of those parents who has built her own thing year to year, and I've come to a point where I want to let up a little so, I think I am leaning toward Kolbe. Life is too short to have to create the wheel. I just want a wheel that rolls that I can add some bling too.

The Kolbe syllabus just uses virtual labs, right?

I have invested heavily in a microscope - so by golly, we are going to maximize microscope labs.  Some of our labs will come from The Home Scientist Illustrated Guide to Biology Experiments:  All Lab No Lecture.  Somewhere on the site you can dowload the book for free.  The labs are correlated with the Dragonfly version of M-L here : FAQ03

I am looking at Frog Guts for virtual dissections. Pricing is $36/yr.

If you google "Pre-AP Biology + Miller Levine" you might get some different search hits. 

(Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand Kolbe Academy's philosophy for the Online Academy's biology.  Regular Bio uses M-L, but both Honors Bio and AP Bio use the AP version of the Campbell text.  The sequence of Honors Bio then AP Bio would be two times through the same book.  Alternatively, you only take Bio once - but in that case why not take the AP Bio if you are ready for the text? I am open to being enlightened. )

The Kolbe syllabus just uses virtual labs, right?

I have invested heavily in a microscope - so by golly, we are going to maximize microscope labs. Some of our labs will come from The Home Scientist Illustrated Guide to Biology Experiments: All Lab No Lecture. Somewhere on the site you can dowload the book for free. The labs are correlated with the Dragonfly version of M-L here : FAQ03

I am looking at Frog Guts for virtual dissections. Pricing is $36/yr.

If you google "Pre-AP Biology + Miller Levine" you might get some different search hits.

(Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand Kolbe Academy's philosophy for the Online Academy's biology. Regular Bio uses M-L, but both Honors Bio and AP Bio use the AP version of the Campbell text. The sequence of Honors Bio then AP Bio would be two times through the same book. Alternatively, you only take Bio once - but in that case why not take the AP Bio if you are ready for the text? I am open to being enlightened. )

Apparently alternate labs are suggested with the virtual labs.

Of all things, I am least worried about bio labs :lol: There are so many possibilities for good, inexpensive, hands-on labs below the AP Level! We also have a good microscope :D We're using The Illustrated Guide for chemistry this year and may or may not use the bio version.

Last night I found even more websites for Dragonfly. I think I'll have plenty of reading to do :eek:

Campbell is a great book (older dd used it for AP bio) but it would be overkill for this dd as bio is her least favorite branch of science. Why on earth would you go through Campbell twice? I can see a student with a good life science background, very solid chemistry, and lots of motivation being able to attack AP bio without a plain bio course first.

Not that you even asked about the SAT Bio test, but I don't want to leave misinformation floating around...

I did Round Two with the M-L text, the big SAT Subject Test book, and Baron's SAT Bio Prep book.  Again, I chose random questions and looked to see if the answer was in M-L.  This time, I was less successful.  I had better luck with the M test than the E test. 

To be fair and honest, I couldn't easily find some of the answers in Campbell's Concepts and Connections (which I also have on hand).  But I would be hard pressed to believe that there is much of anything on the SAT Bio test that isn't in that book.

Ds is currently using the Kolbe syllabus (Dragonfly book) for Honors Biology.  It's not his favorite science so we wanted something straightforward and adequate.

Dh is the biology guy in our household so he is grading the short answer/short essay questions for me. Yay!

Ds is signed up for the Biology Lab Intensive with Landry.  If things are not adequately covered we will do some more lab work in the summer.

Just thought I'd post a quick update on case someone finds this by searching in the future.

I decided to not go with the Kolbe syllabus. I purchased the Miller-Levine macaw textbook in the iPad edition (love it, btw). I spent a lot of quality time with Google and found great, representative wet labs using mostly lab supplies we already own (we have a microscope, glassware, stains, prepared and unprepared slides, etc). I have also found really solid activities for genetics and evolution.

Dd will be doing bio in a semester block. She will be covering all the chapters in the book with additional activities, doing 13 or 14 wet labs, writing lab reports, and taking six exams. I'll pull exam questions from other textbook websites (hopefully I'll get all the exams written this summer while she's away at language camp).

(Second semester will be spent on AP Environmental Science, per her request.)