Menu

Dr. Wile's review of 3rd ed. Of Exploring Creation w/Chemistry

FromA2Z

I'm Cross-posting this here as many I know plan ahead and might find it helpful.

http://blog.drwile.com/?p=13271

I saw this come across my FB feed this morning and thought it would be of interest.

My disclaimer. I really don't know what happened b/w Dr. Wile ( who wrote the Exploring Creation series) and Apologia. This could be a case of sour grapes for Apologia rewriting his books. However, he has positive things to say of the 3rd edition of the Anatomy book.

His review is highly detailed giving specifics on his issues with the new edition. His reasoning is logical and consistent. Enough so, that even though my eldest is in 1st grade, I'm picking up a used copy of the 2nd edition.

I said this on high school side.... .if anyone is using the new version released oct 2014, it would be prudent to print out wile's detailed review.  He includes correction sheet for some calculations among his observations.  

ooh.. I have collector's item.  grin.

hang in there everyone...  Wile might write a whole new book.  apologia might update and fix errors.

too early to know except if you bought 3rd edition and need list of corrections.

sweetpea,

the first 3 modules were released in August or September as free pdf when book wasn't ready as scheduled.  then in october the book was released. I remember there were half off sales in October and for some reason that screen shot remains on one of my browsers when I open new tab.  weird.huh? 

Without double checking.... wasn't it the elementary series that added a chemistry book recently?  I think they're discussing the highschool series. 

Yes, the info I gave on dates was in context of the high school book.  2nd edition was written by Wile, 3rd edition by Hughes.  and that is the topic at hand, the high school materials. OP cross posted on here. rest of discussion is over on high school subforum  :) 

Ironic to read his listing of errors in the book considering that dd spent her Apologia Biology class circling mistakes in his 2nd ed Biology.  I recall that she was particularly annoyed with "poisonous" being used in place of "venomous"; she also complained quite a bit about every comparative vs. superlative mix-up.

Ironic to read his listing of errors in the book considering that dd spent her Apologia Biology class circling mistakes in his 2nd ed Biology.  I recall that she was particularly annoyed with "poisonous" being used in place of "venomous"; she also complained quite a bit about every comparative vs. superlative mix-up.

I know on high school side on the threads, we are sharing the links to the errata (corrections) of various editions.  Wile was always accepting of input and help on corrections from those who sent them.  I hope your daughter sent those in even if others didn't.  good eye she has for it!

Here's link for biology corrections, 2nd edition.

http://www.apologia.com/bookextras/05/errata2.pdf

and wile's 2nd edition chemistry

http://www.apologia.com/bookextras/01/errata2.pdf

(the rest people can find with search engine)

It's common in science stuff that they all do peer review on things.  so this doesn't bother me that one person does an extensive review and mentions this stuff.  He did send his stuff to the publisher just like others sent their corrections on his books