Menu

Sci-fi theme for 8th grade literature

DD wants to read (with me; we'll buddy read) the HG Wells books next year for literature. I'm fine with her having an interest led literature year before high school.

I can't, however, find any good resources for projects or enrichment for the books. DD really enjoys hands on projects. Anyone know of any? I really need something spelled out for me - I'm NOT the creative type.

Hmmm. His works don't tend to lend themselves to "hands-on" projects where you make or build something. However, there are extension activity ideas, usually based on research/writing or comparing with other versions...

War of the Worlds
- Penguin Group: War of the Worlds -- free teacher/study guide/discussion questions for the book
- watch/compare with the movie version (1953 version, and then possibly the 2005 version)
- Discovery Education activity: compare with the radio play (listen here to Mercury Theater audio broadcast and to Orson Welles' response/apology)
- read When The Tripods Came (and sequels) by Christopher -- loosely based on Wells' aliens, invading in modern times
- compare with other alien invasion books, movies, TV shows

The Time Machine
- Penguin Group: Time Machine -- free teacher/study guide/discussion questions
- Teachers-Pay-Teachers: Time Machine Activity Bundle -- $7.50 = 75 page guide with comprehension questions, graphic organizers, suggested 'make a timeline' project, etc.
- wach/compare with the movie version (1960 version, 2002 version)
- build small-scale model time machine, based on 1960 movie version (or from the book)
- explore time travel (Wikipedia article) and paradoxes and issues raised in other works (example -- Butterfly Effect in "Sound of Thunder" (Bradbury))
- compare with other time travel ideas in other books, movies, TV shows

The Invisible Man
- Penguin Group:Invisible Man -- free teacher/study guide/discussion questions
- watch/compare with the movie version (1933 version)
- activity: experiment with making/writing with "invisible ink"
- compare with the original Star Trek episode "Wink of an Eye"
- compare with other movies or stories involving invisibility (no personal experience: The Invisible (2007))
- just for fun stories involving invisibility  (The Hobbit (Tolkien) = ring of invisibility;  Let's Get Invisible! (Stine) = Goosebumps; Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (Nimmo))

The Island of Dr. Moreau
- Penguin Group: Island of Dr. Moreau -- teacher/study guide/discussion questions
- Prestwick House Activity Pack -- (free sample pages; the 63-page unit for $30)
- wach/compare with the movie version (Island of Lost Souls (1932 loose adaptation); 1996 version -- PREVIEW! intense)
- possibly read Uglies (Westerfeld) for comparison of discussion about how large-scale medical changes can cause social changes (in contrast, Dr. Moreau is combining human/animal DNA to create new race, which causes a social order shift)
- research/discuss Darwinism and evolution; or bio-ethics

Edited by Lori D.

On 2/8/2015 at 2:32 PM, AimeeM said:

Oh wow. Those look perfect! Thank you so much. I was going to do shakespeare with her next year, but I guess sci fi is more exciting to her 😄

Glad to help! 🙂

On 2/8/2015 at 12:03 PM, AimeeM said:

I'm fine with her having an interest led literature year before high school.

And, just wanted to add that a number of people on this board have done interest-led Literature in high school, too -- including genres such as classic sci-fi, or fantasy, or other -- as a wonderfully rich and valid high school literature option. 😉

So, don't chuck out the idea that you can't do interest-led in high school! 🙂 Post #8 in the thread "How do you 'do' literature?" links a number of past threads with great ideas for Making Your Own Literature Study -- on sci-fi, fairytales, satire works, 19th century female authors, etc. You can learn how to "do" Literature with the works your student is excited about! Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I guess my hesitation is that, because reading is difficult for her, her interests (reading-wise) tend to be pretty limited. She would not, ever, choose to read most of what is needed (imo) for a well rounded eduation. It's pretty much limited to ONLY sci-fi and fantasy... oh, and dystopian. She's enjoying The Giver and I think will enjoy 1984, and probably Animal Farm... but unless I make her, she will not get Shakespeare or ANY classics outside of sci-fi.

As it is, we buddy-read, or a I read aloud to her, to make sure that she at least gets the content.

Do you think we could do high school with just sci-fi, fantasy, and dystopian? I'm asking honestly (not being snarky), because it would certianly be easier on me, lol.

Glad to help! :)

And, just wanted to add that a number of people on this board have done interest-led Literature in high school, too -- including genres such as classic sci-fi, or fantasy, or other -- as a wonderfully rich and valid high school literature option. ;)

So, don't chuck out the idea that you can't do interest-led in high school! :) Post #8 in the thread "How do you 'do' literature?" links a number of past threads with great ideas for Making Your Own Literature Study -- on sci-fi, fairytales, satire works, 19th century female authors, etc. You can learn how to "do" Literature with the works your student is excited about! Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Watch the Shakespeare instead. It's better that way anyway. ;)

And I think there are a lot of ways to build off of scifi in different ways. You said Animal Farm, for example. The Odyssey is like fantasy. As is Beowulf and Gilgamesh and a number of other classics like that. And there are other classic scifi writers like Verne or newer writers like Vonnegut or Atwood. Would she do Tolkein or other fantasy? How about The Once and Future King? So, so good. Or Gormenghast. Not enough people read that and it's a real classic too. When I was in 9th grade, we had a unit where we studied literary archetypes and read A Wizard of Earthsea. Do you think she'd bite for that? I have to say it's been one of the most influential pieces of my education in terms of approaching literature.

Watch the Shakespeare instead. It's better that way anyway. ;)

And I think there are a lot of ways to build off of scifi in different ways. You said Animal Farm, for example. The Odyssey is like fantasy. As is Beowulf and Gilgamesh and a number of other classics like that. And there are other classic scifi writers like Verne or newer writers like Vonnegut or Atwood. Would she do Tolkein or other fantasy? How about The Once and Future King? So, so good. Or Gormenghast. Not enough people read that and it's a real classic too. When I was in 9th grade, we had a unit where we studied literary archetypes and read A Wizard of Earthsea. Do you think she'd bite for that? I have to say it's been one of the most influential pieces of my education in terms of approaching literature.

I haven't heard of half of them, to be honest. Her interests are pretty much sci fi, dystopian, and a bit of fantasy.

She DOES love anything ancient greek. We had planned on The Iliad and The Odyssey (with MP's dvds and entire lit sets for those books) for classical studies... sheerly because she would get a kick out of it.

I've been trying to find ways to expand on her love of Ancient Greek Everything, but I'm running a bit low in that department. I was considering MP's entire 7th grade classical studies, because it also include The Book of the Ancient Greeks... but then we are really running into a time issue, since that, combined with the HG Wells, would be an awful lot of reading for her (and very mom-intensive, as I have two more kiddos). 

Dad is doing science reading with her next year, since that's his area, and it's lit based (a lot of Stephen Hawkings with some Catholic scientists and apologetics thrown in there).

I'm afraid we're talking about a TON of books, and I don't want to overwhelm her. 

I don't mind staggering things a bit, though, and I don't mind if I end up with a massive plan that takes years (all of high school, say) to cover, so long as she enjoys it somewhat! So that's a positive. I don't feel a time crunch for literature with her (the only thing we aim for yearly mastery in, is her remedial subjects related to her dyslexia - spelling, oral reading, and phonics; and then math. 

In fact, I'm looking at your reply, and Lori's, and typing out a tentative plan that I can give Autumn, to show her that we can get to everything she wants AND everything she needs, and that we don't need to necessarily finish any particular study over any one year.

I'm just happy she cares enough (finally) to give some input. I'd be hard pressed to NOT figure out a way to make it enjoyable for her, now.

Do you think we could do high school with just sci-fi, fantasy, and dystopian? I'm asking honestly (not being snarky), because it would certianly be easier on me, lol.

When I was a kid, from the third or fourth grade on, we solely did books where people die. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, The Giver*, The Cay, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Death of a Salesman, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Pigman, Angela's Ashes, Cry, the Beloved Country, Animal Farm. One time when our teacher wanted a break and had us watch a movie for a week (as you do), the movie in question was Requiem for a Dream.

In my free time, I pretty much exclusively read fantasy, sci-fi, and dystopian fiction. I learned more from that than I did from the forced death march through literature approach. I'm sure my teachers thought that their offerings were more diverse than mine, more varied and well-balanced. They were wrong, because like many people they unconsciously thought it wasn't LITERATURE unless people were unhappy.

Speculative fiction is a pretty diverse genre. The only thing that the books have in common with one another - sometimes even with the same author - is that they don't take place in the here-and-now and some of the things mentioned are currently impossible. If you are determined, there's no reason you can't have a diverse literary experience even if you never leave that loose grouping.

unless I make her, she will not get Shakespeare or ANY classics outside of sci-fi.

What classics do you think she ought to read, other than Shakespeare? I'm not sure I'm not asking this idly, but I don't think I am.

* My teacher asked us what we thought it meant when Jonas went down the sled at the end. I said I thought it meant he got on a sled and went down a hill. Apparently, that wasn't an open-ended question, and my teacher had no sense of humor. The correct answer was "he died". Except, as Messenger and Son make clear, he didn't. Those aren't very well-written books, but I want to buy a copy of each and mail them to that teacher, and would if I could remember her name.

I guess my hesitation is that, because reading is difficult for her, her interests (reading-wise) tend to be pretty limited. She would not, ever, choose to read most of what is needed (imo) for a well rounded eduation.

I got my older boy into high school level works by starting with sci fi and dystopians. It is a perfect entry point into more advanced literature. We did 6th grade classic sci fi. 7th grade dystopians. 8th grade gothic. 9th grade horror.

So we were able to stretch from sci fi and dystopians to ghost stories (turn of the screw), supernatural (Picture of Dorian Grey), not-quite-sci-fi (Frankenstein), the strange (Cat's Cradle, Metamorphosis), gothic (Wuthering Heights). Then horror was Poe, Lovecraft, Checkov (Russian), Dracula, Macbeth, and poems like Kubla Khan and the Kracken.

My point is that you can start where you are, and slowly over time stretch to things that are similar but different. This way you can get to great literature and bring her willingly.

When I was in 9th grade, we had a unit where we studied literary archetypes and read A Wizard of Earthsea. Do you think she'd bite for that? I have to say it's been one of the most influential pieces of my education in terms of approaching literature.

This sounds really interesting. Do you remember any more about it? (Not to make you sound old and forgetful. I am old and forgetful, though, so I like to account for the possibility.)

Did you read other works besides A Wizard of Earthsea? How did your teacher introduce the idea of archetypes? This sounds like such a great idea, but I wouldn't have any idea how to pull something like that together.

My oldest daughter did a year of interested themed literature in 8th grade. It started when she found an old copy of Fahrenheit 451 in a discard bin, read it and then woke me up in the middle of the night, because she'd just finished it and REALLY wanted to talk about it. So we ended up scrapping our original 8th grade plans, and built the year around dystopian literature. We had a broad selection of novels and short stories, and she watched several film adaptations. For example, reading and exploring the themes in Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend," then watching various film adaptions and discussing those was really, really cool. We also found some wonderful audio readings. Robin Williams reading Harlan Ellison's short story "'Repent, Harlequin!' said the Ticktockman" was a particular favorite!

She did a whole mess of projects, mostly art, inspired by the things we read. She filled sketchbooks, produced a lot of digital art, a few paintings, some altered books, sculpture and a diorama. She did some lapbooks too, using a generic novel study lapbook template that I'd gotten from somewhere. I also had her write several literary analysis essays. I very quickly found that I didn't have to assign much. I created a syllabi roughly based on the Teaching Company course, "Masterpieces of the Imaginative Mind." (Note: There are adult themes and content in that course, so if that's a concern, I don't recommend it. My daughter was mature, and I prefer to have those discussions with my kids while they're under my roof, so this worked for me.) Some of the essay questions that I gave her were from that course, and some I created or we developed together.

It was a fantastic year, very productive and one of the best things I could have done prior to starting high school. Though she's a computer science major, she still enjoys taking the occasional literature class in college. I think that 8th grade year really inspired a lifelong appreciation for literature.

There is a Coursera class that replays with some frequency, on Fantasy & Sci Fi.  I don't necessarily think it's ideal for an 8th grader, at least not the whole thing, although it's possible.  I'm not necessarily recommending it for her, but maybe for you? You could watch the lectures and think about if it might be a fit for her, or it might help you pick books.  I have watched it a couple of times and read all the books and I got a lot out of it myself that has helped me discuss some of the books with my dd.  It's a great book list, for the most part.

Oh, I see a session started last week! So you could sign up and download the syllabus and check out some of his lectures, etc.:

https://www.coursera.org/course/fantasysf

Referring to the question about what I would like to her to read... just the basics of some classic literature - Anne of Green Gables, King Arthur, Oliver Twist.

If it really isn't important that she read them, I'll drop the idea. If it is important, but not AS important as her enjoying what she does read, I could read aloud some classics, but allow her literature studies themselves to be more delight directed (I do need some output, but it would be buddy-reading, and she loves projects, so I don't foresee a problem there).

I'd love a list of your kiddos' favorites in sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian (I hadn't thought of Fahrenheit - that was one of my favorites at this age!).

She is somewhat motivated to at least listen to Shakespeare, and she is definitely motivated to read (or listen to me read) anything Ancient Greek related, so we ARE going to be able to get some classics in there - and if that's enough, great!

Referring to the question about what I would like to her to read... just the basics of some classic literature - Anne of Green Gables, King Arthur, Oliver Twist.

Well, at least those won't all make you cry at the end. (Seriously, I'll pull out that rant at the drop of a hat, so don't mind me when I do. I would've been traumatized if I could've ever have been bothered to care, and the worst part is it's not just teachers. I've witnessed parents doing this to their kids in bookstores and libraries. I could scream. Sure, make the kid put down a perfectly good book about magic/superheroes/nicknames because you'd rather make him read Old Yeller and that other book doesn't have a medal on the cover.)

If it really isn't important that she read them, I'll drop the idea.

If you ask 100 people to make a list of 10 books that you should read for "literature" in high school and/or middle school, you'll get 100 different lists with very little overlap... and when you look at it, very very few of the books will stand out as "Gee, I would never have thought of that!"

There is no specific book that is crucially important that you read in school. Never read the three on your list (because they didn't follow the death march closely enough, I do believe), for example. Still am well-read and fairly well-educated.

If it is important, but not AS important as her enjoying what she does read, I could read aloud some classics, but allow her literature studies themselves to be more delight directed (I do need some output, but it would be buddy-reading, and she loves projects, so I don't foresee a problem there).

Sounds to me like a good compromise between what society expects and what'll make everybody else happy. (I may have phrased that snarkily. That wasn't my intent.)

I'd love a list of your kiddos' favorites in sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian (I hadn't thought of Fahrenheit - that was one of my favorites at this age!).

Well, my girls aren't reading classic SF* yet, and what you're doing this year seems to bend in that direction. Give me a few hours - we have to eat breakfast and do school and make a doctor's appointment - and I'll see if I can do two lists, one of YA SF that's worth reading, and one of the classics of the genre.

* SF = speculative fiction, a good catch-all term for what is really a catch-all category.

This was the list we started with based on the Teaching Company course, but it morphed into a more specific dystopian focus about a third of the way through. For what it's worth, my daughter was an mature, avid reader who'd already had considerable exposure to literature. I'm also on the less restrictive end of the spectrum when it comes to censoring material.

Tales of E.T.A. Hoffman

Short Stories and Poetry of Edgar Allen Poe

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll

The Invisible Man & The Island of Dr. Moreau, by H. G. Wells

The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka

The Erasers, by Alain Robbe-Grillet

Lord of the Rings & The Tolkien Reader, by J.R. R. Tolkien

Science Fiction: A Historical Anthology, by Eric S. Rabkin

Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne

“Rappacini's Daughterâ€

“Young Goodman Brownâ€

“Ethan Brandâ€

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter M. Miller

1984 by George Orwell

Brave New World - Huxley

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

That Hideous Strength - C. S. Lewis

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick

The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein

I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Leguin

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Leguin

The Dispossessed

Neuromancer, by William Gibson

The Giver - Lowry

The City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau

"The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forester

"'Repent, Harlequin!' said the Ticktockman" - Ellison

"I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" - Ellison

"Harrison Bergeron" - Vonnegut

Variety of other short stories, films and poetry

Movies:

I Am Legend

Blade Runner

I, Robot

Soylent Green

The Trial

Akira

Total Recall

Road Warrior

THX 1138

Starship Troopers

For more general speculative fiction, here's the Steampunk booklist that my current 8th grader is working through:

Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

@ Gordon Dalhquist, The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters

William Gibson, The Difference Engine

Richard Harlan, Worldshaker

Stephen Hunt, Court of Air, Kingdom Beyond the Waves, Rise of the Iron Moon, Secrets of the Fire Sea

Jay Lake, Mainspring

George Mann, The Affinity Bridge

China Miéville, Perdido Street Station, The Scar

Michael Moorcock, The Land Leviathan

Kim Newman, Anno-Dracula

Kenneth Oppel,  Airborn, Skybreaker, Starclimber

Dexter Palmer, The Dream of Perpetual Motion

Cherie Priest, Boneshaker, Dreadnought

Philip Reeve, Infernal Devices: A Novel, Mortal Engines: A Novel, Fever Crumb, Larklight

Ann & Jeff VanderMer, Steampunk, Steampunk II

Scott Westerfeld, Behemoth, Goliath, Leviathan

Brian Selznik, The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Eoin Colfer, Airman

Justin Richards, The Death Collector

Arthur Slade, The Hunchback Assignments

H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Caitlin Kittredge, The Iron Thorn

Glenn Dakin, Candle-Man

Chris Wooding, The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray

D.M. Cornish, Foundling

Jaclyn Dolamore, Magic Under Glass

Well, I'm not SkateLeft, but here are the ones I'd avoid for a 6th grader (just ones I've read).  Not for moral reasons, but just for too much/intense or over the head/they'll get more out of it later:

The Metamorphosis

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Brave New World

Left Hand of Darkness

The Lathe of Heaven

Frankenstein

Totally agree with Chrysalis Academy's suggested books to wait on, and her reasons for waiting. JMO, but I would also include waiting on Ellison's "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" -- extremely disturbing short story.  I also think a few others on the list could potentially be steep going for a 6th grader (unless the student is a strong/mature reader) just due to the older language -- vocabulary, sentence structure -- and to the topics referenced) -- HG Wells, Jules Verne, and Edgar Allen Poe, and possible Tolkien's trilogy and possible Nathaniel Hawthorne. Also, while Lewis' That Hideous Strength is a great book, it is really complex and dense, and references a LOT of things that would have to be looked up (I wish there was an annotated version!) -- so much of the book would likely go over the head of a middle schooler or younger high school student.

I'm fairly conservative, and I would hold off on all of Skate Left's movie list -- GREAT films to discuss, but I would wait for high school and a bit more maturity and ability to dig in and discuss and get the most out of them, and the ability to handle the intensity. JMO. 🙂

Some ideas as great beginnings into the world of "speculative fiction" or the fantasy/sci-fi genres:

SCI-FI
- The Iron Giant (Hughes)
- Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet; Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron)
- The True Meaning of Smek Day (Rex)
- Time Cat: The Remarkable Journeys of Jason and Gareth (Alexander)

- City of Ember; People of Sparks, Diamond of Darkhold (Du Prau)
- When The Tripods Came -- and sequels (Christopher)
- Bromeliad Trilogy: Truckers; Diggers; Wings (Pratchett)
- Wrinkle in Time; Wind in the Door (L'Engle)
- Twenty-One Balloons (DuBois)
- The Green Book (Walsh)
- Enchantress from the Stars (Engdahl) -- sci-fi AND fantasy in one
- Green Sky trilogy: Below the Root; And All Between; Until the Celebration (Snyder)
- I Robot (Asimov) -- short story collection
- R is for Robot (Bradbury) -- short story collection
- Dogbody; The Game; A Tale of Time City (Jones)
- Leviathan trilogy: Leviathan, Behemoth, Goliath (Westerfeld)

SPECULATIVE FICTION
- Tuck Everlasting (Babbitt)
- Gregor the Overlander series (Collins)
- Children of the Lamp series (Kerr)
- Artemis Fowl series (Colfer)
- Sister's Grimm
- Fablehaven

FANTASY
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)
- The Hobbit (Tolkien)
- The Never Ending Story (Ende)
- The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Through the Looking Glass (Carroll)
- Rumplestiltskin Problem (Velde)
- The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)
- dragon trilogy: Dragon Spell; Dragon Quest; Dragon Knight (Paul)
- Dragon Rider (Funke)
- Inkheart (Funke)
- Sea of Trolls series (Farmer)
- Enchanted Forest Chronicles series (Wrede)
- Howl's Moving Castle (Jones)

If a strong reader and can handle the Victorian/older language and sentence structure then these OLD works would be fun:
- Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol 1 1930-1960s
- Looking Backward (Bellamy)
- The Lost World (Doyle)
- John Carter/Mars series (Burroughs)
- The Time Machine; War of the Worlds (Wells)
- Journey to the Center of the Earth; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Mysterious Island (Verne)

For a mature student who handles intense/difficult topics well, these work for 7th/8th grade:
- The Giver (Lowry) -- and the 3 additional books in the series
- Ender's Game (Card)
- Fahrenheit 451; Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)
- House of the Scorpion (Farmer)
- House of Stairs (Sleator)

Also, check out this past thread for ideas for sci-fi for an early middle school student: Classic Science Fiction Recs.

Edited by Lori D.

This sounds really interesting. Do you remember any more about it? (Not to make you sound old and forgetful. I am old and forgetful, though, so I like to account for the possibility.)

Did you read other works besides A Wizard of Earthsea? How did your teacher introduce the idea of archetypes? This sounds like such a great idea, but I wouldn't have any idea how to pull something like that together.

For some reason, I didn't see this until now...

I do remember a good bit, but it wasn't complex. Mostly we just read something - I wish I could recall what - something short, like a short essay introduction to the concept of archetypes. It may have even been something by Jung. And then we had a long list of archetypes that we worked from. And through some class activity and discussion, we talked about places we see them in other books and stories and movies we knew. And then we just read A Wizard of Earthsea and discussed. It was a class, in school, I'm sure there were super long form answer questions and a brutal reading schedule (that's the blur of high school C&C for me - too much reading, too many long answer questions...). But mostly it was just this short unit where we read, discussed and identified and from it, I emerged with this tool for seeing this particular sort of connections in literature. 

For some reason, I didn't see this until now...

I do remember a good bit, but it wasn't complex. Mostly we just read something - I wish I could recall what - something short, like a short essay introduction to the concept of archetypes. It may have even been something by Jung. And then we had a long list of archetypes that we worked from. And through some class activity and discussion, we talked about places we see them in other books and stories and movies we knew. And then we just read A Wizard of Earthsea and discussed. It was a class, in school, I'm sure there were super long form answer questions and a brutal reading schedule (that's the blur of high school C&C for me - too much reading, too many long answer questions...). But mostly it was just this short unit where we read, discussed and identified and from it, I emerged with this tool for seeing this particular sort of connections in literature. 

Thanks, Farrar. C&C = ?? cash and carry? coffee and chocolate?

OP, sorry for the hijack!