Menu

tips for rolling over 401k from job I left 14 years ago?

Allearia

I have been meaning to pursue this for a while. The company has been bought a couple of times so I don't even know who to talk to. I have an ancient statement somewhere I have to search for. I am not even sure where the money is. Would my account number be enough or do I have to go through the company? I need to roll it over into an IRA as I am self employed. I will be googling some things but for some reason am overwhelmed and would love a place to start! I can't believe I have waited 14 years to do this, I feel ridiculous.

I have been meaning to pursue this for a while. The company has been bought a couple of times so I don't even know who to talk to. I have an ancient statement somewhere I have to search for. I am not even sure where the money is. Would my account number be enough or do I have to go through the company? I need to roll it over into an IRA as I am self employed. I will be googling some things but for some reason am overwhelmed and would love a place to start! I can't believe I have waited 14 years to do this, I feel ridiculous.

You likely will need to speak with whomever is now administering the plan.  Two resources to help you track them down:

www.freeERISA.com

www.askebsa.dol.gov/AbandonedPlanSearch

You might feel ridiculous, but you are in good company.  This happens a lot.  Unfortunately, you might also be poorer.  Your money should still be there, but I've come across many, many cases (I am an employee benefits attorney) in which it allegedly is not.  Your best bet is just to start calling.  Find that statement; call the number on it.  If that doesn't work, look up the most recent Form 5500s for the plan on freeerisa.com (warning:  the search function on freeerisa is weird; put in the PLAN name multiple ways--with and without capitalizing, etc., if you don't get a hit) and go from there.  If the plan has been merged into another plan, you should find a final 5500 on the old plan, and then you may be able to trace forward starting with the surviving plan.  Depending on how old the merger is, I don't think old final 5500s had to include the name of the plan into which one was merged, so you may reach a dead-end.  In any event, the 5500s on freeerisa should have phone numbers and other contact information.  Just keep calling until you find a helpful voice.

If the plan was terminated instead of merged, which is unlikely in the case of a 401(k) plan, you are going to need to figure out where they put unclaimed assets.  They are not supposed to, but they may have turned it over to the lost property office in your or their home state.  

For the record, I have a friend who lost a $30,000 account exactly this way.  She went looking for it 12 or 14 years later, and the employer insisted that they had paid it to her; they had not.  But by that time, there was no way to prove she had ever even had an account.  The moral of this little tale is that although it is okay to leave money for years and years, if you stop getting statements on it, you need to go find it.

PM me if you have specific questions or get stuck.  I might be able to interpret for you.

I rolled mine into an IRA with ING, now part of Capital One, which is all online, no fees, and was a better overall deal (rates vs fees) compared to the other options that presented themselves to me at the time.

Thank you. I didn't know they did that! I've got an ING account and money I need to rollover from a job I had at Boeing 10+ years ago. I'll look into it.

We just rolled over two old 403b. It wasn't a big deal, just annoying to notarized the spousal waiver and sort everything out.

That is a 403(b) requirement; a 401(k) plan could require it as a plan design feature, but very few do.  Tax law requires it for 403(b)s, so the OP shouldn't have to do this.  It will still be a pain, but she should get to skip this part.